Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Support group for people who don't like Laphroaig QC

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Support group for people who don't like Laphroaig QC

Postby mxyzptlk » Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:52 pm

I see much praise for Laphroaig Quarter Cask around the web, this forum included. I'm a huge fan of the regular 10yo, and thought the QC would be something for me. I couldn't have been more wrong. While I am a rookie of sorts in the world of whisky, I have tasted around 35-40 different single malts during the last 18 months, and while Laphroaig 10yo is still one of my absolute favorites, the QC has got to be the least pleasing of all the whiskies I've tasted (not counting blends, Chivas 12 is perhaps the worst whisky I've tasted period).

There's a bitterness in the QC also found in the 10yo, but not supplemented by the sweetness that balances the 10yo so beautifully, making the whole experience.. yes, a tad bitter for my taste. It just seems unfinished, so to speak. It's not that it tastes bad, it's just not very good either.

I guess it's all a matter of taste and personal preference, but one thing I find interesting is that I've yet to read a negative review of the QC online, while of the three whisky loving friends I have who all love the 10yo, all of them agree with me wholeheartedly regarding the QC. And just for the record, I've had the QC from three different bottles, so I think I can rule out a "dud" also.

Am I alone here in this respect, or are there others like me out there?
mxyzptlk

Postby hpulley » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:05 pm

You are not alone. I also prefer the 10yo. Initially I really liked the QC but after a week I didn't really like it and it took me over a year to finish it.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:16 pm

Well I'll support you mxyzptlk by trying to drink as much of it as I can so as you do not have to be exposed to this evil threat ever again :wink:

But seriously I feel the same but the opposite way around ... which is gas really.

However I still like the 10yo also but just not as much as the QC.

Just goes to show how different we all can see the same things,

....... the magic of the malt. 8)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:33 pm

I've had only two drams of QC, in pubs, and wasn't impressed. The first time it tasted of very salty prosciutto to me, but that may have been a matter of what I'd just eaten. The second time, I felt as though I was chewing on a nice tender two-by-four. I keep thinking I should pick up a bottle and give it a fair shot, but Joe Howell keeps taking all of my lunch money.
Deactivated Member

Postby mxyzptlk » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Whew, good to know I'm not alone. :)

I also spent several months finishing mine, and while I don't have anything against having some "less good" whiskies (they can't all be the best after all) in my collection, this is one bottle I doubt I'll purchase again.
mxyzptlk

Postby les taylor » Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:47 pm

For me like IWC the QC is the sweeter one. Are you sure like in the man in the Iron Mask a switch hasn't been done on you.
If no switch has been made we will have to drink your share.

:)
les taylor

Postby mxyzptlk » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:06 pm

I guess you'll have to drink my share then. :)

I think I understand what you mean by the QC being sweeter, it does have more of a light vanilla-like quality to it. However I still think it lacks some of the sweetness that's more prevalent in the 10yo. IMO.
mxyzptlk

Re: Support group for people who don't like Laphroaig QC

Postby corbuso » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:15 pm

mxyzptlk wrote:
There's a bitterness in the QC also found in the 10yo, but not supplemented by the sweetness that balances the 10yo so beautifully, making the whole experience.. yes, a tad bitter for my taste. It just seems unfinished, so to speak. It's not that it tastes bad, it's just not very good either.

I guess it's all a matter of taste and personal preference, but one thing I find interesting is that I've yet to read a negative review of the QC online, while of the three whisky loving friends I have who all love the 10yo, all of them agree with me wholeheartedly regarding the QC. And just for the record, I've had the QC from three different bottles, so I think I can rule out a "dud" also.

Am I alone here in this respect, or are there others like me out there?

Personally, I found the QC too sweet and young to my tasteand I prefer the slightly older and more complex Laphraoigs, preferably cask strength.
But it is a matter of taste.
Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Re: Support group for people who don't like Laphroaig QC

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:48 pm

corbuso wrote: Personally, I found the QC too sweet and young to my tasteand I prefer the slightly older and more complex Laphraoigs, preferably cask strength. But it is a matter of taste. Corbuso

That's an excellent observation Corbuso, LQC is a youngish whisky and it has all the wildness of youth in the taste. I personally like it a lot and have laid away a large number of bottles for the future. However the 10, 15 and 30 are still stellar drams.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bamber » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:03 pm

Don't like it much either, but I'm not very keen on the 10yo or the 10yo CS either so, it's not really a surprise.

Funny how peer pressure gets to us. Despite having a real battle to finish my bottle, I still feel a bizarre urge to get another !
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:01 pm

I did a blind tasting between the QC and the 15yo and they are quite similar. The phenols of the 10yo are not present in the same capacity for those two expressions.

However, where the QC has mainly vanilla and nuts, the 15yo has a touch more phenols and a lot of subtle complexity--salty, fruity, forest. I choose the 15yo each time, but I can't say that I dislike the QC at all. It's just a point or two lower.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:14 pm

The CQ I had a about a year and a half ago was fantastic; very well blanced between sweet malt and peat. The one I just had was decent, but that is all. Very simple, not much sweetness or balance. Not silky in body like the first. Perhaps these little casks are giving us some batch variation...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby mxyzptlk » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:46 pm

Drrich1965 wrote:The CQ I had a about a year and a half ago was fantastic; very well blanced between sweet malt and peat. The one I just had was decent, but that is all. Very simple, not much sweetness or balance. Not silky in body like the first. Perhaps these little casks are giving us some batch variation...

That might be it. I was excited to get my first QC when I first read about it on Laphroaig's homepage, and what people who like QC have to say about it corresponds nicely with the descriptions I'd been reading. And then, upon tasting it, it seemed simple and unbalanced as you say, I found none of the "soft sweetness and velvety feel" that they brag about on their home page.

It could be that I will have to try the quarter cask again, to see if I can find one that will meet my initial expectations. After all, I do love that distillery.
mxyzptlk

Postby TheLaddie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:13 am

Freaks :wink:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:57 am

TheLaddie wrote:Freaks :wink:

And no one mentioning the CS as the better alternative?? Amazing!!! :shock: :lol:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:41 am

I think there's definitely some variability in the QC, although it has yet to dissappoint me.

I think I've been through three bottles in the last 12 months or so and have enjoyed them all. Although the one I had this past fall was a standout, thick & syrupy and perfectly balanced.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby killerwhale » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:05 am

interesting one would like the 10 yet not the QC..... I like the 10 but the QC is so much bolder, lively and one great dram...... I like both though the QC just has that special 'jump'.....
anyway, we drink what we enjoy .... :D
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:09 am

I think it's nice, but not as nice as the 10. A worthwhile experiment.
Aidan

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:20 am

I hope it's more than an experiment and is here to stay.

:)
les taylor

Postby Ize » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:53 am

Best Laphroaigs I've tasted in order best first: 10yo CS, QC, 10yo, 15yo

QC is good but Cask Strength beats it with clear margin. And to me QC is only marginally better than standard 10yo ... which is then clearly better than 15yo. :)
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Jobi » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:38 pm

More than other bottles, I'm finding that the taste of the QC changes depending on what I've had to eat/drink that day and when. The 1st and 3rd drams from the bottle were terrific, the 2nd was difficult to get down.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:41 pm

I'm finding that the taste of the QC changes depending on what I've had to eat/drink that day and when. The 1st and 3rd drams from the bottle were terrific, the 2nd was difficult to get down.

JOBI I somimes find this with any whisky. Biggest shock of all was when it happened with my 2nd, much anticipated, dram of Ardbeg '77!

just the central nervous system playing tricks...

My 87 YO dad just called from Lausanne to enthuse about the QC i just sent him for his birthday, knowing he loved it on last visit here. in his typical tactless way he added " But it's not as good as the Ardbeg!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:40 pm

I think it's a top bottling by Laphroaig, so I guess I have no place here really. I'm surprised to see this group actually, but I guess there's a group for everyone out there.
Di Blasi

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:34 am

The last bottle of the QC I had 5 months ago seemed not as nice as previous bottles, though it was still a lot better IMO than the 10yo I had also around the same time. I find it curious that your experience, mxyzptlk, and your friends was that it was not enjoyable, as it is the one Islay that my family and friends enjoy very much even though many are not whisky lovers. Wish I could get another bottle of the QC, but around here the well is dry (only the 10 and 15 now available).
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby mxyzptlk » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:36 pm

Aye, again, after seeing the replies in this thread, I guess it's just a matter of taste and preference. Unless there's been something "wrong" with the three bottles I've sampled, which strikes me as improbable.

Anyway, it feels good not to be alone with this "curse". And for those who like it, please continue to enjoy it. :)
mxyzptlk

Postby misa » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:14 pm

I´ve heard somewhere that the Superman likes QC Laphroaig, so it´s no surprise Mr Mxyzptlk doesn´t. Suppose Bizzarro likes it with ice CUBES.
misa

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:37 pm

The Laphroaig QC got excellent marks in reviews when it first appeared on the market. If memory serves me correct, it was also more expensive at first in UK (compared to current pricing).

I got several bottles of the first release from Oddbins, and I must say I prefer it any day over the 10yo - which I find a bit bland these days, compared to how it was in the 90's.

I've heard several colleagues state that more recent bottlings of this QC have not been nearly as nice in flavour, but I have not made the comparison as yet myself.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:08 am

Can I get a free membership in the club ?
Since I think the QC taste like old sweat socks that has been to close to a fire, but then again I think most of the laphroaigs have that old sweat socks taste to a certain extend . :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby killerwhale » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:26 am

Ann-Helen wrote:Can I get a free membership in the club ?
Since I think the QC taste like old sweat socks that has been to close to a fire, but then again I think most of the laphroaigs have that old sweat socks taste to a certain extend . :)

ack.... this is one of my best malts.... I think it gets 'thumbs up' for just being funky..... after that, the whole experience is great.... :P
killerwhale
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:58 am

The Quarter Cask is what makes me open my eyes wider to Laphroaig, as the 10y is nothing special.
Di Blasi

Postby mxyzptlk » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:25 pm

Fine guys, be that way. When YOU feel the need to start a support group about a whisky YOU don't like, I'll be there to rave on about how much I love YOUR hate-whisky. :lol:
mxyzptlk

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:05 am

mxyzptlk wrote:Fine guys, be that way. When YOU feel the need to start a support group about a whisky YOU don't like, I'll be there to rave on about how much I love YOUR hate-whisky. :lol:

Fair enough, but at least were talking!

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:37 am

As if anyone could stop us....
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:17 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:As if anyone could stop us....

Quite. I love LQC!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re:

Postby daxfohl » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:28 am

mxyzptlk wrote:Fine guys, be that way. When YOU feel the need to start a support group about a whisky YOU don't like, I'll be there to rave on about how much I love YOUR hate-whisky. :lol:

Me LOVE me some LQC. Not a big fan of the Old Pulteney 21 (Jim Murray's whisky of the year), tastes like a moderately-refined "light" Seagrams with a meh-okay-decent finish to me. Green Spot, tastes like plastic. Or anything Macallan, but seemingly everyone "in the know" hates this one....
daxfohl

Next

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder