Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Trying Scotch

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Trying Scotch

Postby marr » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:19 pm

Hi, I am an Irish whiskey lover. I would like advice on what Scotch to try as I have not a huge amount of experience here. I have tried Glenfiddich, Ballantine, B&W and Teachers, with only the last one really being to my taste. I know I will like Scotch because I particularly love Connemara peated single malt.

Needless to say, I don't want to spend big money...

Thakns
marr

Postby lexkraai » Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:29 pm

Hi marr

I you particularly like Connemara, I suggest you try some of the Islay single malt Scotches, such as Bownmore, Lagavulin, Laphroaig or Ardbeg. You may also like malts from the other islands, such as Highland Park (from the Orkneys) or Talisker (from Skye).

Just some first suggestions; have fun!

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby marr » Sun Nov 03, 2002 9:01 pm

lexkraai

Thanks for the advice - I'll be sure to try it. Also what would your recommend for something a little different? I currently drink Redbreast, Powers, Greenspot etc.
marr

Postby hpulley » Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:53 am

Redbreast is my favorite Irish whiskey. For reference, my current favorite Scotch whiskies are Ardbeg, Talisker, Auchroisk and Fettercairn.

I just picked up a bottle of Springbank 10yo 46% and it is another very different whisky, closest thing to it is Talisker which is itself a very unique Scotch. Not sure yet if I love the Springbank but I've heard many speak highly of it so I had to give it a try!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby marr » Mon Nov 04, 2002 6:17 pm

Thanks, I'll give some of them a go.
marr

Postby Gate » Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:29 pm

If you like a fairly peaty whisky but want maximum value for money, Black Bottle is a good bet - particularly the 10-year-old. And Springbank of course is God's own dram.
Gate
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder