Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

CONFUSED??

All your whisky related questions answered here.

CONFUSED??

Postby titus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:39 am

Does Glenfarclas 8 years exist? Furthermore, In an oak finish and a standard?

If not, have fakes been produced?
titus

Postby les taylor » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:45 am

Checking the Glenfarclas website, the ten year old looks like being the youngest expression. Their could however be an export 8 year old. Have you tried ringing the distillery and asking?

Titus what have you seen and where?

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby titus » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:54 am

I have yet to ring the distillery as my finding was just today, in a small corner bottleshop tucked away in a SYDNEY suberb. It's always the inconspicuous one's isn't it?

Anyway I asked the attendant if I may have a look and he pulled it off the shelf...there was no clear year indication on the front labelling as per usual however the back labelling noted 8 years. Twas a dusty old bottle and there was a oak finish one aswell. I'm stumped, intrigued and overwhelmed all in one!!
titus

Postby les taylor » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:55 am

Titus as you are in Sydney email the distillery there is a contact us section on the website.

Might be good if you put your rough location in your profile as well, then we would know where you are.

les taylor

Postby Leither » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:08 am

They sell an 8yo at the distillery itself (for around £20 from memory when I was there a few weeks ago) but nowhere else in the UK they told me, as it's export only - unsure for which market - after I enquired at their shop.

Titus, my advice would be go for it if it's not too pricey and you trust the retailer that it's not 'fake'. Not sure what kind of malts you prefer but 'farclas is normally comparable to Macallan in profile (and far better value IMHO).

Apparently 8yo was fairly standard a few years back before 'aged for 10 long years' became the minumum age for most standard malts.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:58 am

Yes, Glenfarclas do have a standard 8y old for sale, (saw it there last week in their nice shop!) and it's mostly for the Italian market, not sure which else.
Di Blasi

Postby laphroaigaficionado » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi,
it is available in Austria for 19.90 Euro at http://www.weinwelt.at.
Hope that helps...

Regards

Christian
http://www.laphroaigaficionado.com
laphroaigaficionado

Postby ERNIE » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Titus,

Glenfarclas 8y exist.
You can see a picture at http://www.whiskykoning.nl

Ernie[/url]
ERNIE

Postby Quaichuser » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:57 am

I tasted the 8 year old a number of years ago. All my notes say are that is was " not too bad for a young whisky" Not the full flavour generally associated with a Glenfarclas but good for it's age.

I'd say go for it.
Quaichuser
Bronze Member

Postby titus » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:46 am

Many thanks for all the replies. Great help indeed.
titus

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:03 am

"Oak finish" makes no sense. All whisky is aged in oak.
Deactivated Member

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:37 pm

Available here too. I have tried a dram some years ago, but I can't remember what the taste was like. I think I would remember if it were bad, so I believe it was a good one. Glenfarclas is mostly sherry casked.

-Juerg
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby les taylor » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:54 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:"Oak finish" makes no sense. All whisky is aged in oak.

That is true Mr T. However not all of it is American Oak. Which is the norm. For Instance Glenlivet 15 year old French Oak Reserve. So it can be a different Oak finish.

les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:12 pm

les taylor wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:"Oak finish" makes no sense. All whisky is aged in oak.

That is true Mr T. However not all of it is American Oak. Which is the norm. For Instance Glenlivet 15 year old French Oak Reserve. So it can be a different Oak finish.

Then that's what it should say. The phrase "oak finish" is even more pointless than "matured in oak". Furthermore, it implies that the original maturation was in something other than oak, which most certainly it was not.

(Mr Picky informs me that if something is truly pointless, another thing cannot be more pointless. Now I know why you guys all hate him.)
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:18 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Mr Picky informs me that if something is truly pointless, another thing cannot be more pointless. Now I know why you guys all hate him.

Indeed. I believe the correct term is "less pointy"

Mr Picky is a rational voice in an insane world. His views are always welcome. I'm sure his usefulness can be even more infinite. :wink:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:23 am

TheLaddie wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Mr Picky informs me that if something is truly pointless, another thing cannot be more pointless. Now I know why you guys all hate him.

Indeed. I believe the correct term is "less pointy"

Mr Picky is a rational voice in an insane world. His views are always welcome. I'm sure his usefulness can be even more infinite. :wink:

If something is truly pointless does that make it blunt?

les taylor

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:35 pm

It would be more pointless if he never came back, I agree with the Laddie (and others).
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby WestVanDave » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:16 am

(Mr Picky informs me that if something is truly pointless, another thing cannot be more pointless. Now I know why you guys all hate him.)

Truth be told Mr. Picky - it's not you we hate... it's just our (my) jealous ~ envious weasely character that fuels the occasional dig...

Now - as for that Mr. T character... :wink:

... Keep it comin' Mr. T and Mr. P... or should that be Mr. T.P.???
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:46 am

This thread made me smiling a bit, sorry can't help it. I wouldn't be making fakes of new 8yo Glenfarclas, if I would be making fakes I would fake old 30yo demolished distillery bottling ...
Ize
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:30 am

Hi there,

I have not yet seen a bottle of this Glenfarclas 8 years old. There was a Glenfarclas 8 years for the French market which was called Heritage and came in a square tin in red and cream-beige colours. Seems 8 years is not an unusual age for Glenfarclas in some areas.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:39 pm

Sorry to be weighing in to this discussion a bit late, but the Glenfarclas 8yo is basically the age-statement replacement for what used to be labelled the Glenfarclas Heritage.

THe Heritage bottling was originally produced for the French Market. It was sold in a red square tin, and had french writing and tasting notes on the packaging. For some strange reason, quite a few Heritage bottles ended up in Australia, and could be found at unusual liquor stores. (I picked my bottle up at David Jones in the city!!)

Anyway, the Heritage was a no-age statement bottling, but I received word that it was a young whisky in the 7-8 year old range. It's my understanding that the Heritage evolved into what is now the 8yo.

(Alternatively, the 8yo could simply be the same as Heritage, but just badged differently for different markets).

CHeers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder