Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Caramel (E150) or not.

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby Ize » Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:04 pm

Weird, HP 12YO's I have seen, have had E150 or "farbestoff" marking. All have been 1 litre 43% bottles (tax-free) though.
Silver Member

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Tue Oct 15, 2002 2:10 pm

As both Gate and Ize know, the discussions on the artificial colouring of whisky have covered the best part of 100 postings on this forum over the past few weeks, indicating how strongly people feel about the subject.

What really seemed to interest people was not so much whether or not colouring was added - for most of us it is the taste and the smell of the whisky that matters, but whether or not it was clear from the labelling that colour had been added.

And if it has to be shown on the label in some countries, why don't the distilleries put the information on all bottles, wherever in the world they are sold?

Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby heer.veer » Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:57 pm

I have the old and the new ODB's of the Highland Park 12 (& 18 old), but they all have E150 (backlabel code: GDR203), so I have serious doubts about this list.
Bronze Member

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Wed Oct 16, 2002 2:18 pm

Hi everyone!

It's a pity that Gordon & McPhail's Connoisseurs Choice series are coloured to quite the same colour. Although their whiskies are great I am not quite happy with it. Be it a Coleburn, Mosstowie, Port Ellen etc., it's all the same colour. I realised that when I ordered same bottles of the said series an put them in a row on a table.
Anyway I think the most important with a bottle is the stuff inside.

Best wishes

Postby blackkeno » Mon Oct 21, 2002 12:11 am

Of course if one wishes to avoid E150 in favor of purely the distiller's art, there is always bourbon. My understanding is that they are never allowed to use coloring or anything else artificial. They even avoid used casks (except for Distiller's Masterpiece which has a second finishing cask).
Bronze Member

Re: Caramel (E150) or not.

Postby jamesharry1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:00 am

Actually what i know abot this is made by controlled heat treatment of sugar beet or sugar cane (with or without the presence of alkalis or acids) but as it is possible to use sugar from maize starch which may come from a Genetically Modified crop. The caramel group of colours are the most widely used group of colours, comprising some 98% of all colours used.

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder