Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Visiting Scotland

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Visiting Scotland

Postby MacAndersson » Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:06 pm

There is a lot about whisky on this site, for obvious reasons, but not as much about Scotland and since every whisky enthusiast at least once in his, or her, lifetime thinks of visiting Scotland there would be helpful with some tips. Therefor I think there is a place for this topic at least for all us foreigners.

Are there any locals out there or people who have visited Scotland and wish to share some tips on where to go and what to see?

I together with my girlfriend plan to take the car via boat to Newcastle next summer and then head north to Scotland. We plan to spend some where between 7-8 days in Scotland. I have made a rough plan so far which goes something like this. Newcastle – Edinburgh – Pitlochry – Dufftown – Inverness - Isle of Skye – Oban – Carlisle - Newcastle. We intend to visit a couple distilleries and castles but mainly just enjoy the Scottish countryside and narrow roads. Am I in your opinion missing something?
Is there a “must see” along that route or close by? I was at one time thinking of Islay since I love the whisky from that part of Scotland but it is so far of and I only have 7-8 days to spare. Therefor I think Islay will have to be a separate trip sometime in the future.

I am grateful for any tips!
MacAndersson

Postby St.Peat » Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:44 pm

Perhaps Marcin or Brigid will post the web address of their Scotland Magazine. There is always some good info there.

Cheers!
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Chris Brousseau » Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:24 pm

Edinburgh – Pitlochry – Dufftown – Inverness - Isle of Skye – Oban – Carlisle - Newcastle.

Based on your schedule here are a few tips:

Edinbrugh - the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, Leith (membership required), Whisky shops on the Royal Mile (Royal Mile and Cadenheads at least), Scotch whisky heritage centre -near castle

Pitlochry - Blair Athol distillery, fish ladder

Dufftown - numerous distilleries plus the whisky shop and museum in the middle of town.

Isle of Skye - Talisker Distillery, the gaelic whisky centre.

Oban - Oban Distillery - day trip to Mull is worth it.

There is lots to see and do - a great country to visit - lots of material from the scottish tourist board on the web.

have a good trip
Chris Brousseau

Postby Brigid » Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:21 am

Yes, why not visit the website home of our other magazine: Scotland Magazine, at www.scotlandmag.com

You should find helpful info there.

Brigid
Brigid

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:22 am

You can't pass through Pitlochry without going to see Alan Robertson at Robertsons of Pitlochry, a really good whisky shop, and you have to go to the Edradour distillery just outside the town.

Further north, before you get to Dufftown,
visit the Dalwhinnie Distillery in the village of the same name, and when you have been to Dufftown, visit the Walkers shop at their factory in Aberlour for some simply scrumptious shortbread.

If you get that far North, probably only 15 miles or so from Dufftown, then the Gordon & Macphail shop is a must.

Cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Tue Nov 05, 2002 11:24 am

Ooops, forgot to say the Gordon & McPhail shop is in Elgin!

Cheers

Rudolf
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby MacAndersson » Tue Nov 05, 2002 12:06 pm

Thank you all for the many helpful tips! I am sure going to pickup on some of the tips. It looks like we will make the trip in August when things are a bit more normal compared to the crowded June - July summer months. For those of you interested in cars you might want to check out this address http://www.indigoreserve.org or http://www.indigo3000.org
That’s what my girlfriend and I will be travelling in.

Cheers and thanks again.

MacAndersson
MacAndersson

Postby John Clotworthy » Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:49 pm

Hi
The AA voted the coastal road from Fort William to Durness the most beautiful and scenic route in Europe. The road is stacked full of scenery from the shores of Loch Ness to Eileen Donan castle. Then keep heading north through picturesque Plockton, head over to Applecross, Glen Torridon, Achnasheen, the beautiful Glen Docherty
( single track road ), Gairloch, the famous Inverewe Gardens which is on the gulf stream and grows bamboo and other exotic plants naturally, then us Drumchork Lodge Hotel where you can sample some of our 470 malt whiskies watching one of the most beautiful sunsets you will ever see and sample some of our locally smoked fish from the only traditional smokehouse in the country. Then travel north again see the Corrieshalloch Gorge which is the most natural gorge left from the ice age and then on to Ullapool.
A trip to remember
Slainthe John
John Clotworthy

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:40 pm

I always love the road between Fort William and Inverness. Another very lovely place is Oban, it gives you feeling a of warmth. Nice to do is take a ferry to one the Isles leaving from Oban, had a great time on Colonsay.....

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Tue Nov 05, 2002 5:04 pm

there's a back road ( I can't remember the number ) between Grantown on Spey and Craigellachie - a distance of around 25 miles from memory - that I travelled one Friday evening in May at about 7.00pm without seeing another vehicle or indeed another person!

Undoubtedly not as dramatically beautiful as the Fort William - Durness road already mentioned by John, but in its own way a truly delightful experience - especially in a car like that!

Cheers

Rudolf
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:18 am

Alan Robertson's shop in Pitlochry is superb with lots of good malts and de-luxe blended stuff as well. Don't forget the nearby Edradour!

Dalwhinnie is also a good visit, especially if you are classic malts member.

If in Edinburgh, then Cadenhead's is good, especially for cask strength whisky lovers. Also, Jenners on Princess Street has a good selection of stuff from Gordon and Macphail if you don;t fancy going to Elgin. Both Pitlochry and Edinburgh (Waverly) have a 'Whsiky Shop' which is worth checking out.

Finally, if you are on Skye, change into a leather jacket and go (not at the weekends) to Broadford Serpentarium and meet the royal python for a treat!
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder