Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jenny should have thought of this: St. Magdalene!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Jenny should have thought of this: St. Magdalene!

Postby heer.veer » Thu Oct 24, 2002 10:06 pm

I'd like to start a topic about the greatness of St. Magdalene. Whisky-Scotland is trying to kill almost all of the Lowlanders, and it seems to me that credit is long overdue.

St. Magdalene is fantastic!
Bladnoch is great too (and alive!).
The last one I would like to mention is Rosebank "they" killed too. What is wrong with them?

Did we forget to buy Lowlanders because of our fondness of the Islay peatmonsters and did the numb out palates?

I have two bottles of the UDV Rare Malts 1979 (bottled 1998), 19 YO, and three of the latest Signatory 1982 release.

What versions have you tasted and what do you think of them?
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Oct 25, 2002 2:55 am

Rosebank was good.

I've had a G&M bottling of St Magdalene and it was awful.

Royal Mile whiskies cask strength Bladnoch (and North Port for that matter) is a gem.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Fri Oct 25, 2002 6:50 pm

Murray McDavis Rosebanks are lovely but there (as per normal) are several versions floating around. Don't agree with the magazine view on these either.

The rare malts 1979 St Mag is yummy. Great malt.

Always enjoyed Bladnoch as well
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Fri Oct 25, 2002 10:02 pm

I first had a Cadenhead 16-year-old St Mag, which was gorgeous. I have two Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottlings on the go, which maybe aren't quite as good, but are still fine gentle stuff - no burn or prickle even at the full cask strength. Best Lowlander I've tasted recently is a Murray McDavid 8-year-old Rosebank: fresh and lively. Have yet to try the Bladnoch: a treat in store? I always liked Inverleven, too, but that is getting as rare as hens' teeth: have "they" killed that one off too? [P.S.: Michael Jackson describes Deanston 12-year-old as "less of a Highland malt than very good Lowlander", and I can see what he means - mind you, he also scores it the same as Loch Dhu. So: Loch Dhu is the same as a very good Lowlander. There's a thought.]

[This message has been edited by Gate (edited 25 October 2002).]
Gate
Silver Member

Postby heer.veer » Thu Nov 07, 2002 11:27 am

Can anyone tell me what versions are still around and how good they are? (St. Magdalene, Linlithgow)

The 1979 UDRM is great and I bought some Linlithgow Signatory 1982´s (43%), but don´t know if they are good or not.

So, what´s around and how good are they...
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder