Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Please help me to choose one

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Please help me to choose one

Postby Jenny » Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:45 pm

I'm currently short on money so I can probably afford only one bottle for a long time (well several month). Which one of these Whiskys would you recommend me
http://www.systembolaget.se/pris/owa/sokpipe.sokpara?p_wwwgrp=SPRIT&p_varutyp=SKOTSK+MALTWHISKY&p_ursprung=&p_prismin=0&p_prismax=999999&p_type=0&p_butnr=0&p_ordinarie=1&p_rest=0&p _back=xpgrupp%3Fp_proc%3D5%26p_ordinarie%3D1

It should be a Whisky I don't know and not a peat monster.

So no Talisker, HP12, Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Oban, Glenlivet.

I thought of a small bottle Glenfarclas or Macallen 12 years or Bowmore 12years.

You guys should know my taste by now... Image
So please help me. It's one of my problems...I can't decide.

Jenny
Jenny

Postby Gate » Fri Nov 08, 2002 12:28 am

Glenfarclas 15 year-old is very fine, so is Macallan 12-year-old (good value too). Springbank is just beautiful, the best for me - but there's a bit of peat there. I reckon you should go for (drum roll.....) Longmorn 15-year-old. What a beaut. And surprisingly cheap - I just got a new bottle for £17 - which for London is just mind-blowingly good value.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Jenny » Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:17 am

Well, I'm in Sweden. I can only get those bottles listed in the link I posted...
(No Longmom, No Glenfarclas 15, No Springbank)

Jenny
Jenny

Postby Ize » Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:28 am

Hmmm, drop out most of the whiskies with demands no peat monster and no Glenmorangie, Dalwhinnie, Oban, Glenlivet. Bowmore is not exactly a peat monster, but still I would consider it a peaty whisky it also have an oilish residual flavour too that reminds me sheep's wool. So basicly that would leave as the whiskies you mention Glenfarclas 10 or Macallan 12 in small bottle ... or the Aberlour 10 which unfortunately isn't available in small bottle. Macallan I have tasted, it is quite sweet and roundish in taste, and that's not bad at all. Glenfarclas I haven't taste, but what I have read it is sweet too (sherryish that is) and quite similar with Macallan ... So can't really help with those two, flip a coin.

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby robbroy » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:57 am

Hi Jenny!

why dont you select whisky from the "orderlist", then you will have another 350 whiskies to chose from.
http://www.systembolaget.se/pris/owa/sokpipe.sokpara?p_wwwgrp=SPRIT&p_varutyp=SKOTSK+MALTWHISKY&p_ursprung=&p_prismin=0&p_prismax=9999&p_type=0&p_kl_1=0&p_kl_2=0&p_kl_3=0&p_butnr=0 &p_ordinarie=0&p_rest=0&p_back=xpgrupp%3Fp_proc%3D5%26p_ordinarie%3D0

then you will be able to get all the recommended whisky above.

God luck

/Robert
robbroy

Postby Nikwik » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:16 am

Jenny: If you´re really brave, try the Drumguish (and report afterwards if it is better than the infamous Loch Dhu...). A whisky 60 SEK cheaper than the rest must be something "special". I have seen it a lot f times at Regeringsgatan but never dared to buy it yet...
Nikwik

Postby Jenny » Fri Nov 08, 2002 10:41 am

@robroy : Arrrgggg..thanks...(I think I had too many drams already and my brain took damage)

So I think I will take Old Rhosdhu 5 Years Old

A whisky 5 years old and containing the word DHU must be good, I'm sure of that.... *KIDDING*

Or a Dallas Dhu...Loch Dhu from Dallas??? Image

BTW : It is me or do they have such strange whiskys no one has ever heard of? But you can at least order Glenfiddich Rare Collection 64 Years... Image

I guess I will need the weekend to decide. Thanks everbody.

Jenny

[This message has been edited by Jenny (edited 08 November 2002).]
Jenny

Postby westcoastboy » Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:29 pm

If you want a really big whisky - rich and complex with lots of character, but no peat monster, then go for Cragganmore.
westcoastboy

Postby Frank D.Scott » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:38 pm

Hi Jenny,I really enjoy The Balvenie Double Wood,Glenlivet 18 yr,Edradour 10,Ben Nevis 10,Balblair 16,The Dalmore 12.
Frank D.Scott

Postby Jenny » Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:39 pm

I know Glen Turret. Image It's one of my favorite whiskys (can't decide if StMagdalene or GlenTurret is my #1)

So no GlenTurret this time...

Jenny
Jenny

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 10, 2002 10:41 am

Jenny,

Try to find a St Magdalene from 1965 bottled by G&M(marvelous). Other good St Mag's are: Linlithgow 1975 from Signatory, and perhaps a Douglas Laig edition from it.....

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Ize » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:21 am

Erik,

do you happen to mean this bottling of Linlithgow: Douglas Laing, 26 Y.O. in 50% strength? Is it good? I invested 12.50€ on miniature bottle of it to get a little taste of it and now I'm eagerly waiting it to come (with some other bottles too, of course). I don't dare to spend over 100€ on big bottle of whisky ... any whisky. 50€ is a limit for me.
Hih, and if Jenny goes ordering that Linlithgow in Sweden in system bolaget it would go near 150€ prices .. and Rare Malts Selection about 200€. Image Of course, you can get Signatory 1982 distilled Linlithgow for less than 60€, but is that so good ...

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 11 November 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 11, 2002 4:28 pm

Hi Ize,

From my own experience, some DL are quite good and some don't. But I prfer more of Signatory, Hart Brothers, Adelphi and the latest series from Brands Development. But that's just personal you know, everybody has a different taste, and thank god for that....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby heer.veer » Mon Nov 11, 2002 11:52 pm

Ize,

What's wrong with the Signatory 1982 Linlithgow?
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:30 am

heer.veer,

I don't know, everyone just keep saying stuff distilled in mid-70's to be best Linlithgow/St. Magdalene. If 1982 Signatory bottling is even nearly as good as mid-70's stuff is claimed to be, I will buy that bottle immediately despite my rule no pricier than 50€ bottles ...

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder