Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbanks Latest Wood Expression is...

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Springbanks Latest Wood Expression is...

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:11 pm

...to be a 13yr old Longrow (Sherywood).
Released mid November.
It seems the Springbank Rum Wood finish is becoming collectible, this will be the second in the wood expressions release.
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Oliver » Wed Oct 23, 2002 1:39 am

Ian:

The Springbank Rum Cask 12 years old is available in the States. Its a v. strange bird.
The nose is aggressive, astringent. Hints of bad rum. Hardly any whisky odors at all. The best you can say for it is that it is distinctive. Never got MJ's "fruit behind" --whatever that might mean.
The palate is full and surprisingly smooth for such an astringent nose. Likewise the finish: rounded, long and...pleasent!
Overall, a pretty unerving experience though. If I had to grade it, I'd give it a 6 and 3/4, maybe a 7 for the finish.
So they've limited the release to 5700 bottles. So what? Something is really rotten in the world of single malts if this turns out to be a much sought-after "collectible." Lets not forget that the most collectile malts are -- or should be -- the most drinkable ones too. Hence the rarity.
By the way, if anyone wants to trade an unopened bottle of this stuff for a bottle of Elegancia, Please e-mail me. (Fat chance after this description!). Cheers anyway,

Oliver
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby heer.veer » Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:05 am

Sorry for my ignorance, but what´s an Elegancia?
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:47 am

Elegancia is a combination of sherry casks that have contained fino and olorosso.Date of distillation 1990 and date of bottling 2002.
Deactivated Member

Postby MacAndersson » Wed Oct 23, 2002 12:49 pm

You might want to ad that it is Macallan who makes it.
MacAndersson

Postby Oliver » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:58 pm

Good point Mac.
Back on track: Any one up for the trade?
Has anyone tasted the Springbank Rum cask 12 year old. I mena the stuff smells like something you'd use to remove paint! If you disagree and really love it, I am always up for trading my unopened bottle of this "ultra, extremely, very, very, limited edition" (5700 bottles).
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:25 pm

The Longrow is being bottled as we speak and is exclusive to the UK MARKET!
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:21 am

I have tasted some Springbank Expressions in Progress in May 2000, including the Rum cask, I must say that it was a hell of dram at that time I tasted it. By the way it was during a very exclusive N&T in Holland.
I made some various notes, and tasted some very rare Expressions. It was good....

By the way The Macallan Elegancia is only available at the duty free shops, however there's ofcourse a parallel import possible, by some sort shop or so..
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder