Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A whisky for a non-whisky drinker?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

A whisky for a non-whisky drinker?

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:32 am

I think it is fairly widely agreed that whisky generally does not attract younger drinkers - OK, Jack Daniels is probably the exception ! - so what would you recommend as the ideal starter whisky to introduce the wonderful world of whisky to all those twenty and thirty - somethings who don't know what they are missing?

Personally, I would go with the Famous Grouse Port Wood or the Glengoyne 17

Cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Mon Sep 30, 2002 12:35 pm

When I was younger and started to explore whiskies, the first whisky I really got keen on was Johnny Walker Black Label, before that experience I drank whisky on the rocks. Like with Red Label, Chivas Regal, Seagram etc. standard blend (blaah) whiskies or equivalent. Image But maybe the Black Label isn't best choice for the starter if he (or she) is not like me who had drunk bad whiskies for years and then found out that there are actually good whiskies around.

My recommendation would be (if the money isn't the issue) Glenfarclas 25yo that is by far the most easiest whisky I have ever drunk and still(?) very good whisky.

Another thing, why you would "push" youngsters to drink whisky? I believe taste developes while ageing so I guess there is much to do for earlier twenties drinker who does not (yet) like whisky. On that age I drank white wine, on mid and late twenties I started turn into red wine ... nowadays I can't really find good white wine but most of the red wines are really good.

Kippis,
Ize

Edit: fixed typos, no message without them :-/

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 30 September 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:40 pm

I started with Dewar's White Label, but graduated to Glen Grant, which is probably a good one for a whisky novice. For a light whisky that is very smooth and easy to drink, Glenfiddich Solera Reserve would be a nice gentle start. No, on second thoughts, I'll have that, and the novice can learn by trial and error from what's up behind the bar....
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Nodin » Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:52 pm

I tried to introduce my few friends to whisky with quite a few different malts and found that by and large they all appreciated what are generally considered "experienced" malts most.
I thought that Glengoyne 10 or 17 would be good intros and they were but Talisker, Lagavulin and Laphroaig were the most widely appreciated. I guess it bears remembering that even though beginners may not be experienced, their tastes are still going to be varied...
BTW, my first malt experience was Oban 14yo and i never looked back!
Nodin

Postby nthorpe » Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:47 pm

how about Dallas Dhu, Tamdu and one I got last weekend Glendullan 8yr old. All easy going and not too peaty.

Or Macallan
nthorpe

Postby John Clotworthy » Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:14 pm

Hi everybody
This is an interesting subject as I am asked very regular here at Drumchork Lodge Hotel. I personally think Glen Moray matured in a Chardonay cask is worthwhile a try. It is very light and slightly fruity with just the right amount of aftertaste. If the lady likes salty taste,similar to the smell of the sea air with the waves crashing in try 12 year old Old Pultney or Bunnahabhain. Then the world is your oyster and the beginning of a wonderful new life.
Slainthe John
John Clotworthy

Postby heer.veer » Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:34 am

I never started with a light and introductory malt. I don´t believe those are the best malts for novices. I believe the best malts for novices are...the best malts. I think it´s bogus someone has to be broken in. Just get a good one, f.i. Highland Park 12. Great stuff, and after that....the whole of Scotland lies at your feet!
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Jenny » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:37 am

I would like to point out that Whisky is not only for elder generations. I'm a 27 year old girl and I'm addicted to Single Malts... Image

And I would suggest a 12 years Highland Park for a beginner!

Jenny

[This message has been edited by Jenny (edited 16 October 2002).]
Jenny

Postby heer.veer » Wed Oct 16, 2002 8:57 am

Hey there Jenny,

I´m no oldie too, I´m 33 (for two whole days now). I believe you could even add that Whisky is not only for men, because the amount of women will probably be lower than the amount of younger people.

Addicted `eh?

So lets hear it, what else would you reccomend after the HP 12?
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Wed Oct 16, 2002 9:41 am

...might as well face it, you're addicted to malts... The fact I even remember Robert Palmer probably puts me in the elder generation. It's true that the real addiction doesn't hit until you get on to the stronger stuff. With me, I came in via Glen Grant, but it was Springbank that really set me off on the whisky trail - love at first dram. You could do worse than start a novice on that.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Jenny » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:15 am

Well, actually I had an intense Whisky evening yesterday with a friend of mine from UK. We went to the Bulls & Bears Pub in my hometown Stockholm (BTW: whenever you come to Stockholm you MUST go to this pub if you like whiskys...more than 150 different whiskys are waiting for you!! Birger Jarlsgatan 16)

So here is my list of new favorites :

Scapa 25 years (very smooth, sherry note, flowers and "sweet")

St. Magdalene 24 years (Strawberries, flowers, mild, smooth, mineral rich, a hint of chocklad and licorice, almost no "salt")

Glenturret 18 years (toffe, cafe, sweet, a hint of salt, mild at first, almond on the long end)

All these whiskys get a 9.6-9.7 from me!

A whisky for the more advanced :

Bowmore voyage ("the immortal whisky" - extremly long lasting taste, dark, strong port note, big and powerful)

We had some more : Glenmorange Millenium (12y), Clynelish (14y) and Highland Park 15 years, but there aren't that good in comparison to the others. In particular the HP15 dissapointed me. HP12 is much better.

Jenny

PS : I never started with the usual cheap supermarket blended whiskys. My first one was an Oban or a Glenmorangie, not sure. And yes, I had the "hard" stuff like Talisker, Laguvallin, etc...

[This message has been edited by Jenny (edited 17 October 2002).]
Jenny

Postby Ize » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:26 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jenny:
Well, actually I had an intense Whisky evening yesterday with a friend of mine from UK. We went to the Bulls & Bears Pub in my hometown Stockholm (BTW: whenever you come to Stockholm you MUST go to this pub if you like whiskys...more than 150 different whiskys are waiting for you!! Birger Jarlsgatan 16)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Better than Akkurat? At least they hava larger selection of whiskies, but I'm not so sure about how the atmosphere would between in these two.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Jenny » Thu Oct 17, 2002 11:46 am

Better than Akkurat?

Hej Ize, Image

I have never been there. Must have splipped through my fingers... will go there next week...

Tack så mycket.

Jenny
Jenny

Postby Nikwik » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:00 pm

Sorry for hi-jacking this thread but when speaking of whisky-pubs Akkurat is probably one of the best in Europe. I don´t know how many whiskies they have (have heard a figure of at about 400...) but the whiskies are all stated in the menu so you can order them by your table. Go and have their delicious Moules Lagavulin (Mussles cooked in Lagavulin) and try one or two of their 14 different Ardbeg afterwards...
Nikwik

Postby DLion8888 » Thu Oct 17, 2002 4:02 pm

I got some friends who are not really whisky drinkers. Once, I brought a bottle of Bowmore and they proceed to drink it. The reaction was ...they dont like it. Its too strong for them. They wanted the last bottle I brought which as Auchentoshan. I then realized they wanted sometime mild, not strong as the Bowmore.
DLion8888

Postby Jenny » Thu Oct 17, 2002 6:55 pm

Shame on me, but there are 1500 pubs, bars, restaurangs, cafes, etc. in Stockholm. You simply can't know them all...

And I had never heard of Akkurat before.
I found it now : www.akkurat.se.
They are even cheaper than the other one... (Nonetheless is Bulls&Bears extremly good with a nice athmosphere and some very rare ones, and they have a few ones that Akkurat doesn't have...)

Jenny

[This message has been edited by Jenny (edited 17 October 2002).]
Jenny

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 18, 2002 7:09 pm

This is my list for absolute beginners...
Lowlands: Rosebank, Auchentoshan....
Midlands: Glenturret, Aberfeldy....
Highlands: Dalwhinnie, Dalmore....
Speyside: Glen Moray, The Macallan....
Islands: Highland Park, Jura....
Islay: Bunnahabhain, Bowmore....

Ofcourse there are more variations possible, but this is just one them.

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Gate » Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:59 pm

Sounds to me as if you could just take your beginner to Akkurat and let him or her loose.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Sat Oct 19, 2002 9:34 pm

Huurman, where is the midlands?
I've never heard of that before (except in England).
Jenny, Stockholm sound much better than Aarhus so I should venture over there some day.
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:46 am

Ian,

As in Midlands, we ususally mean in the world of Scotch whisky, the middle part of Scotland, also verry well known as the Southern part of the Highlands.....
There Ian you will find the Midlands(and yes you can find it in the middle part of England too!!!!)

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:59 pm

Good starters?

I would try to go for a medium whisky rather than something light like Glenfiddich or Glen Moray.

As such, I think you can't go wrong with Balvenie 10 yr old which is like warm honey in a glass. Aultmore is a good one, especially in Hart Brother's current bottling, as it is beautifully crisp and sweetens as you get to your 2nd or 3rd taste.

Another idea is to give them a superior blended whisky. I converted a couple of German travellers to the wonders of Dew Of Ben Nevis (and also Cameron Brig) when I met them at the Dufftown Whisky festival.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby qmandave » Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:01 pm

The single malt that got me started was Dalwhinnie. It was like warm nectar - nice and mild. I then moved on to Oban, what I would call more medium-bodied. Then Talisker opened the door to smokier tastes, like Lagavulin. If you're new to the malts, I wouldn't recommend starting with Lag, but that's just me. No matter what I stray to and sample, I always come back to those 3 that got me going - sentmental favorites, I guess.
qmandave

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder