Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best whisky bar?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Best whisky bar?

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Thu Sep 19, 2002 3:06 pm

Having been fortunate enough to drink whisky in several bars, I recently came across the Drumchork Lodge Hotel.

Not only do they have 450 malts to choose from, the bar itself has just the right atmosphere and the people ( Frances and John ) are just great.

So far, this has to be the best whisky bar I have visited. Any other nominations?

Cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby r0b » Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:18 pm

"450 malts to choose from"

Fu**ing Hell! You're not joking? If not, I must move from Sweden, win a few million on the lottery and make that bar my permanent residence! Image
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:32 am

Well, there is an excellent restaurant in Sweden in Stockholm that has at least around 200 malts ... for some reason the name has escaped my mind, darn. If you happen to get lost and find yourself in Finland in Oulu, not like though, go to St. Michael's Pub there are 100-200 different malts ... haven't counted them though. The atmosphere/place isn't the best one perhaps, if you like silent roomy cosy place (it is quite noisy and small pub), but when you decide to move from whiskies to beer, you can have there Caffrey's ale and stout from the tap. :P

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Fri Sep 20, 2002 10:40 am

No rOb - no joke - they really do have 450 malts.

Forgot to say location is Wester Ross on the North West coast of Scotland.

And their ' hot ' smoked salmon is to die for!

cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Fri Sep 20, 2002 1:55 pm

The Rockwell Bar in the Trafalfgar Hotel in London is great if you go for bourbon - over 100 bourbons and ryes. But by God it's pricey. The sainted Milroys whisky shop in Soho has (or at least had last time I was in there - far too long ago, shame on me) a bar in the shop, so you can taste before you buy (or after, or during...)
Gate
Silver Member

Postby blackkeno » Sun Sep 22, 2002 4:02 am

When visiting downtown Minneapolis (Minnesota) I like to go to "The Local." They have over a hundred malts, a great Irish selection (by US standards) and reasonable prices.
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby bolena » Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:49 am

Akkurat in Stockholm is probably the restaurant Ize was talking about. The number of malts is +350 and the have about 200 beers to choose from.
bolena

Postby Ize » Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:43 am

Akkurat, yes that is the place. Image
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 20, 2002 9:02 pm

Has anyone tried M's in the Grassmarket in Edinburgh yet.If you love whisky and happen to be in Auld Reekie then it is a must.500+ malts can't be wrong.The bar staff are wonderful and will happily chat all day.There is something to suit all pockets in the list book which is attractively bound in wood.All measures are a generous 35ml.It is also a seafood restaurant and has the best toilets I have seen in any eaterie.Very whisky and fish.
cheers
Deactivated Member

Postby Magnus » Sat Oct 26, 2002 11:28 am

I hate to spoil the fun but the best whisky bar
is most likely "Speyside Way".
Suzuki-san has well over 1000 bottles in the bar and an unknown number in storage.
The only problem for most of you is of course that it is located in Tokyo, Japan (Jiyugaoka).
Magnus

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:00 pm

Been a day out in AMsterdam a week or so back, and for the first time visitted whisky bar The Still.
http://www.whisky-destill.nl/ fir their website.

I found a very small and comfortable bar, in the middle of the old city centre of Amsterdam, full of that Scottish atmosphere.

Fully recommended if you happen to be in Amsterdam for something =o)
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:31 pm

The Engelenburg, Brummen, The Netherlands.
At the Engelenburg, they have a nice selection of rare vintages and very rare malts, and ofcourse the "usual" stuff so to speak.
Deactivated Member

Postby whiskynovice » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:54 am

The Pot Still in Glasgow. Not only a wall of great rare whiskies, but great craic at the same time. All for a price that is fabulous. Check it out.
whiskynovice

Postby Oliver » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:49 am

Well it seems like most of you are lucky enough to be living in Scotland (or Holland --great country); here in New Orleans there are a couple places that stand out. First, there is a slightly out of the way bar called Monkey Hill which has Springabank 21 and they are willing to serve you the stuff in a wine glass (you know the one where I had Mac 15 with the red pool table).
Then there is the bar at Clancy's restaurant close by; they have over 40 malts. Some great ones: tis where I discoverd The Gran Reserva 1979 and had a sip of the silky white chocolatey HP 25.
There is a DBA bar (a chain of bars: welcome to the USA) in the French quarter which is ok if you don't mind people asking for some Knockando "on the rocks with a twist." (sadly this is not a joke.)
The Glenfarclas is fairly common here since the distributor was (is) located here in New Orleans. The liquor stores and prices are great here, full of dated bottles collecting dust, their owners blessedly unaware of their worth! But that's another story.

Cheers to all!

Oliver
Oliver
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder