Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best whisky bar?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby heer.veer » Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:53 pm

Hi all,
Look out for a whisky and cheese tasting feature coming up in issue 29 of Whisky Magazine. 6 whiskies were tasted with 6 cheeses with surprising results!
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby whiskynovice » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:52 am

Currently sipping on a Linkwood 15yo while typing this response. Yummmmmmm!
whiskynovice

Postby whiskynovice » Fri Nov 22, 2002 1:54 am

The Pot Still in Glasgow. Not only a wall of great rare whiskies, but great craic at the same time. All for a price that is fabulous. Check it out.
whiskynovice

Postby Oliver » Fri Nov 22, 2002 3:49 am

Well it seems like most of you are lucky enough to be living in Scotland (or Holland --great country); here in New Orleans there are a couple places that stand out. First, there is a slightly out of the way bar called Monkey Hill which has Springabank 21 and they are willing to serve you the stuff in a wine glass (you know the one where I had Mac 15 with the red pool table).
Then there is the bar at Clancy's restaurant close by; they have over 40 malts. Some great ones: tis where I discoverd The Gran Reserva 1979 and had a sip of the silky white chocolatey HP 25.
There is a DBA bar (a chain of bars: welcome to the USA) in the French quarter which is ok if you don't mind people asking for some Knockando "on the rocks with a twist." (sadly this is not a joke.)
The Glenfarclas is fairly common here since the distributor was (is) located here in New Orleans. The liquor stores and prices are great here, full of dated bottles collecting dust, their owners blessedly unaware of their worth! But that's another story.

Cheers to all!

Oliver
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby blackkeno » Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:36 pm

Last night (Friday) I was having Irish Pure Pot still-- Redbreast followed by Jameson 15yo. The Jameson 15 is worth every penny, it is a LE, get it before it's gone.

At this moment I'm drinking Lagavulin (propted by some other threads).
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:46 pm

I have a spouse imposed limit based on the cabinet she lets me use. It holds about 300 bottles. They are almost all opened, but I gas them to keep them fresh. It is now forcing me to drink them (almost) as fast as I buy them.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Nov 24, 2002 5:45 am

Right now I am sitting in my flat in New Orleans, sweating and sipping a Gran Reserva 1979. (There never seemed to be a grand enough occasion for a sip, so I decided to drink the stuff as often as possible!).
I am also smoking a marvelous Lusitania (Double Corona) from the Island the US authorities love to hate!
It doesn't take much to feel like a rebel her in the US.
Cheers!

Oliver
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Sarge » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:42 am

Isle of Jura, I have to get rid of it.
Sarge

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:52 pm

After a hard work at the festival in The Hague last weekend, it was nice to sit down and relax with some left overs from the company. By accident, it was The Macallan, Gran Reserva 1979, and sliped down the throat like a mouth ful of fruityness......

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:17 pm

Last night I had a Springbank 10yo. Not bad but not great for the price. Should have got a Talisker 10yo instead... similar style but much better IMO and for less money too.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder