Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky and Cheese

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Whisky and Cheese

Postby Frank D.Scott » Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:01 pm

I enjoy Whisky with food and especially with cheese.Does anyone have any ideas on a good malt with a great cheese?
Frank D.Scott

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:48 pm

Highland Park with Orkney cheddar cheese perhaps?? I would say: just experiment with it, and see for your self. I have heard that a Lagavulin goes well with the french cheese rocquefort. Are there any other Ideas???
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:18 pm

There are a number of smoked cheeses. I wonder would they go well with an Islay malt?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Stephane Grialet » Fri Nov 22, 2002 11:12 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Huurman:
Highland Park with Orkney cheddar cheese perhaps?? I would say: just experiment with it, and see for your self. I have heard that a Lagavulin goes well with the french cheese rocquefort. Are there any other Ideas???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Although i've never tasted that kind of association myself, i a agree with you: i think that an Islay malt like Lagavulin, Bowmore or Caol Ila would fit with Roquefort and similar "moldy" (?) cheeses (St Agur, Bleus divers, italian Gorgonzola...).

Maybe a few rich, smokey and peated whiskies would go with strong cheeses like Munster.

Quite smooth and honeyed ones would also go with goat cheese.

I will try a few of these associations and will tell you about the results (... if yet alive !...)
Stephane Grialet

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder