Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Duty Free Stores??

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Duty Free Stores??

Postby tdmcgurk » Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:21 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to the world of single malts, and consider myself lucky to have found this forum and its parent site. There's quite a lot of information here, and it's been very helpful to me.

Like most of you, I'm interested in growing my collection of fine scotches and in stocking up on my favorites. Of course, one way to do this relatively cheaply is through the duty-free channel.

I've managed to check out duty free stores in Ontario, Canada and St. Thomas, USVI over the past few weeks, and have been pretty disappointed with the selection. Typically I'll see a lot of Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Balvenie and The Macallan along with a smattering of lesser-known malts. Not bad, of course, but I was hoping to see a selection of malts more like that of my local bottle shop. (I was extremely happy with the prices, though - they averaged more than 40% less than what I'm used to paying here in the U.S.)

The experience got me thinking (and that's always a dangerous thing) - where might I visit where the selection would be very good, and the prices would be as low as I've come to expect from duty free shops?

Here's my situation: I'm located in Atlanta, GA, which allows me to get almost anywhere in the world fairly easily. I have FF and hotel points out the wazoo, so I can usually manage an almost completely free trip. I'm envisioning a long weekend in Europe somewhere, with some local sightseeing, followed by a LARGE purchase at duty free before flying back.

So, I put it to the esteemed members of this group - are there duty free shops in this world that carry large selections of rare (or even semi-rare) malts, are located in countries that I can get to relatively easily, AND that allow me to bring back more than 1 or 2 bottles?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. I apologize for the length of this post, but look forward to any advice it can generate.

Best Regards,
Tom
tdmcgurk

Postby Gate » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:26 pm

World of Whiskies at London Heathrow or Gatwick certainly has some very interesting malts, and as far as I can tell, they don't see it as any of their business how many bottles you want to take with you (a matter for the customs folks of wherever you're taking them to?). There was also an article in Whisky Magazine a while back about the best duty-frees for buying whisky.
Gate
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder