Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

On-line buying

All your whisky related questions answered here.

On-line buying

Postby heer.veer » Sat Nov 23, 2002 12:14 am

I'd like to know where do you buy your drams, but I'm especially interested in good internet shops.
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby blackkeno » Sat Nov 23, 2002 11:43 pm

I have found both The Whiskey Exchange and Loch Fyne to be great sources of whisky via the internet. Here in the USA, I usually just call Wine and Liquor Depot in Van Nuys Calififornia, rather than using their site.
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:13 am

I have used La Maison du Whisky's online service a couple of times and found it efficient - it's also good for American, Irish and Japanese whiskies, and is one of the few places you can get Green Spot on the Net( www.whisky.fr ). There are also two in the Netherlands ( www.whiskyworld.nl and www.whiskykoning.nl )that I thought were pretty good, although I haven't used them since the golden period when sterling was strong against the euro after having been weak against the guilder so the prices of their stock were rock bottom and you could feel like a serious arbitrageur just for buying a couple of bottles of Lagavulin. Happy days. Image

[This message has been edited by Gate (edited 25 November 2002).]
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Tue Nov 26, 2002 7:06 am

www.thewhiskystore.de is the only place I use ...

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:18 am

Richard Joynson's Loch Fyne Shop (lfw.co.uk) is simply great. For a real big selection try The Whisky Exchange (the whiskyexchange.com) Also very good is The Whisky Store in Germany
(thewhiskystore.de) All have great websites to surf in.

Hope this helps!

Slainte mhor!
Juerg
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby heer.veer » Tue Nov 26, 2002 12:12 pm

And their prices?
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:27 pm

For Irish stuff, some of which is hard to get abroad, http://www.classicwhiskey.com is good, although the music is annoying. I was also looking at www.royalmilewhiskies.com, which has a good selection of Scotch. I don't know about prices though.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:54 am

Most of the prices are quite reasonable, although there are sometimes greater differences between shops in the UK and Germany. But what always knocks me down is the charges for carriage, custums and V.A.T. (although V.A.T. are not so high here in Switzerland). Considering a current pound exchange rate of about 2.45....phew!, don't remind me of that!!!!!

Best wishes from a fincancially exhausted Swiss.

Juerg
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby Ileach » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:08 am

Yep the £ is strong but it is still cheaper for us Swiss guys to buy the stuff over the net in the UK, have it shipped, pay duty and taxes than to nip to the malt shop around the corner (and there are plenty) and pay a king's ransom for a Single Malt. Especially Rare Malts, or the new Diageo bottlings (Brora 30yrs and the like) are much cheaper over the net.

I once tried to shop at whiskystore.de but when I asked whether they would deduct VAT for deliveries outside the EU, they I was told they would only do it on orders above €250 - that did it for me.

But I can only recommend the Whisky Exchange. Fast, reliable service, many old and rare bottlings, good customer service (prompt reply on e-mails).

slainte

Ileach
Ileach

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder