Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Approx value / aged whisky question..

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Approx value / aged whisky question..

Postby Captain Harlock » Wed Nov 27, 2002 5:57 pm

Does anyone know the approximate value of a sealed bottle of George Dickel from 1964 ? (The powderhorn type bottle)

Would it be more worthwhile it to sell it, or drink it?

I realize that for folks who LOVE a nice aged whisky, drinking this would be worth more to them than its monitary value and I'd take that into consideration..

The other question I had was, is a whisky this old OK to drink? (I realize of course that there are 12 year olds and the like out there, but this one is 38 this year.)

What happens to whisky as it ages? Does its strength increase, does it mellow or change taste, etc ?

Dave..
Captain Harlock

Postby lexkraai » Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:28 pm

Hi Dave

The whiskey in that bottle is perfectly fine to drink. Provided a bottle is properly sealed, very little happens once a whiskey is bottled. In other words, a whiskey from 1964 is not 38 year old, but as old now as it was when first put in the bottle.

The powderhorn bottle does have some collector's value, but the collector's market for American whiskies is much less than for Scotch.

Out of interest, what would you want for it?

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Captain Harlock » Thu Nov 28, 2002 4:57 am

Howdy ..

Hmmmm. A tough choice now if I'd want to sell it or drink it.. heheh.

I saw a sealed bottle going on e-bay for 180 - 200. I guess finding sealed ones is not as uncommon as I thought it was. I contacted the fellow and asked how he arrived at the price, he says that this would be its value as claimed by the Dickel distillery which is about 3 miles from his home.

Star Trek collectors will also recognize this bottle as a prop used on the original show as Saurian Brandy. (Kirk pours himself a glass during an episode. The bottle is a standard prop in his quarters too. )

Since I'm not a big whisky drinker, I'll probably place the bottle at auction and start the bidding around 160. If it goes to 200 thats fine, if I only get the opening bid of 160 thats fine too. Could use the money for the upcoming holidays..

Although if you'd like the Dickel, that would save me the time of placing it at auction..

Thanks for your help, let me know..

Dave.,
Captain Harlock

Postby lexkraai » Thu Nov 28, 2002 9:38 am

Thanks, Dave

Price is a bit too steep for me, so good luck with it at auction!

By the way, I know of the Star Trek connection of the powderhorn bottle; go to www.celticmalts.com/edge.htm and scroll down a bit ....

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Captain Harlock » Thu Nov 28, 2002 11:32 am

Howdy Lex ..

I might be pricing the bottle wrong because I have little idea of its value.. I know that one sold recently for that price, although I couldnt tell you why.

Since the whisky doesnt really "age" per sey, I guess the value is in having an original sealed bottle complete right to its tax stamps.

Empty powderhorns go as low as 5.00 for collectors through e-bay. As a unique piece of glassware for a home or as a Star Trek collectible, I guess 5 to 10 dollars is a reasonable amount for the empties. Especially if the cork is complete. Most times the cork is missing or broken.

Heck, if the bottle sells I might purchase an empty just to have one.

Anyway, thanks for your help and I hope you have a great holiday season !!

Dave.
Captain Harlock

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder