Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

BRING BACK PORT ELLEN!

All your whisky related questions answered here.

BRING BACK PORT ELLEN!

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:25 pm

What do you think?
Will it be back?
Do you want it back?
Can it be done?
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:20 am

I think we all want Port Ellen back!
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby timbus » Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:11 am

Hey Guys - Will Port Ellen be brought back? No, I don't think so as the distillery's been shut since 1985 and it is now just a run down unit! There is still plenty stocks around though, the best of which is bottled by Douglas Laing.
timbus

Postby Ize » Thu Dec 12, 2002 7:44 am

If I have understood correctly everything else is torn down except what is needed in malting process at Port Ellen ... so actually there is no point to make it run again. New distillation equipment will not for sure produce as good whisky as it used to be from Port Ellen. *sigh*

Kippis,
Ize

P.S. About the old stock, the pricing is such that I don't have the money to buy Port Ellen. Luckily friend of mine bought one and offered me a dram of it. It was excellent stuff, I must say.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby redlich » Fri Dec 13, 2002 12:47 am

Unfortunately you have it right Image
They are tearing Port Ellen down....

....Silence.....

/Redlich
---------------------------- http://slainthe.org
redlich

Postby Gate » Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:05 pm

In that case, can I put in a word for a "Bring Back Rosebank" campaign? Lowland malts are getting seriously endangered, and it would be tragic if the great news of Bladnoch being saved is followed by Rosebank's demise.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:21 am

Hi,

The Port Ellen is no longer there and that's a fact gentlemen. I love the Port Ellen too as much as you do. but it has now become a legend, why destroy a legend like the Port Ellen?

What do you think?
Will it be back?
Do you want it back?
Can it be done?

I think that questions like these, are the beginning of a discussion wich will never end. Otherwise we may start a discussion about the other lost distilleries too on Islay, such as Bridgend, Port Charlotte, Octomore, Ballygrant etc.

Lets keep it that way, that the Port Ellen is about to finish its last stock, and lets enjoy that, becaus if you look at the prices, there's a Port Ellen for every one of us. If the Port Ellen should be brought back to life, then why nobody ever did this in the eighties, while the "wounds" where still fresh, and able to heal again.
Let the past to be the past, and never the future......

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:42 pm

Hi
I think its still a possibility, I was there in the Summer, and the buildings remain intact, most equitment gone, yes, but in this day and age it would not be too difficult to get new replica equitment, bring back the old recipes and bang! It's back.
No kidding, it will take a few quid but for sure it would be worth it, no?
But is it worth the gamble if it were not quite the same? I think not, the discussion continues?
Or shall we just buy all the bottles we can find and HIDE them away?
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:26 pm

Hi Ian,

It's not that easy to bring back a distilery of that kind a live. It won't be the same, it's not only the equipment, but it's also the atmosphere and surroundings etc who play a very big part in to it, and most important ingredient of all: human(the old workforce). There's a lot more involved to bring it back as it was before....
Why not let it rest? And enjoy the last stock. I think that you are ruin a legend, if someone makes a move to it. If you bring one back to life, then make plans for some other distilleries too.

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder