Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A'bunadh or Balvenie 12?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Re: A'bunadh or Balvenie 12?

Postby MrIntrepid » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:21 pm

Hi LSD :D

I have not tried the batch 18 only the 20 it was a little winey but still delicious there is a recent discussion on the forums about the A'bunadh you will probably get a good feel for it from the notes there:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6943

I have a bottle of the DW, a lot of people enjoy this whisky as an everyday malt - we tasted this during Musky's first live tasting, my notes and a few other peoples are on there so this should give you a very good idea about the DW.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6988

In my opinion I would opt for the A'bunadh :D Hope this helps
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:28 pm

D'you want the little sports coupe like a Mazda Drophead or the Ferrari?? both have their merits, but given the choice...

Th aberlour is a much more powerful dram. You're already sort of in the ballpark of the "lighter" style sherry with the Macallan 12, which(if it's the "sherry" version, not the "Fine Oak" ) is one I prefer to the DW anyway, so...

...I'd go with the Ferrari!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:32 pm

Aberlour A'bunadh hands down. Was this a joke post? :shock:
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Wave » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:45 pm

I think you'll find that most of us prefer the Aberlour a'bunadh, but as for how much water to add is really up to your taste buds. Personally I don't add any water to my a'bunadh (of any batch) mainly because I thinks it's perfect just the way it is and for my experiences that added water tends to muck up a sherried whisky.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:33 pm

Lawschooldrunk wrote:also, on the abunadh, what's the correct/best way to take off the wax for the cleanest look?

Tipsy neophyte barrister...why would you wish to remove the wax? Just slice around the joint with a sharp knife and leave the wax intact. Improves the presentation of the dram, don't you know?
Of course I vote for the Aberlour A'B batch18, hands down.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:51 pm

The Balvenie 12 is a great, easy drinking dram but if I had the choice I'd also vote A'bunadh each and every time. My favourite speyside
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:10 am

I'll agree with the support of the Aberlour A'bunadh Batch No 18. While there's nothing wrong with the Balvenie DW I'd suggest grabbing the various Bunny batches while you can...I have really enjoyed 9,11,12,13,14,15,and now 18 - and wished I had stockpiled more of previous batches (14 in particular - I have half a dozen left). I would also suggest there are "bigger" Balvenies more worthy of a H-T-H with the Bunny. While not as big, the Balvenie 15 is a quality dram

If you aren't used to cask strength this might be a bit much to try without water - but worth the effort as I too find the A'bunadh perfect without hydration.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby TheTross » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:11 pm

Of the two, definitely the A'bunadh; even though I find Batch 18 to be a little too winey, it's the sheer power and complexity that would make me choose it over the DW any day (although, of course, the DW is a great dram too...). As for adding water... part of the fun is finding out yourself! I tend not to add any, though a drop or two does round the rough edges if you need them rounding.

And as for other sherried malts, I'll recommend Glenlivet 18. I wasn't a huge fan of Glenlivet from the expressions I'd tried before that (12, 15 French Oak and a 15 G&M bottling), but the 18 blew me away for its depth and balance, and is one of my all-time favourite whiskies.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:56 pm

I have a bottle of batch #18. I find it to be quite strong taken neat. However I don't have much experience with cask strength whiskies. When I added a tsp of water per ounce it still had quite a bite so I added another tsp and found it extremely enjoyable. It's probably one of my favourites.

IMHO this is not an after a hard day at work SMS due to it's potency but an after dinner dram served with dessert. :P :P :P

I'm going to get fat.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm

LSD, did you open the A'bunadh yet? I love the stuff, and I'm sure you'll like it too. It's a great Sherry Monster at CS, a really wonderful dram.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:45 pm

Looks like from his Sig it is open:

open: bowmore CS, bruichladdich 10, laphroaig 10, clynelish 14, old pulteney 12, aberlour a'bunadh #18, dalmore 12, isle of jura 10. the winnowing process has started!

Impressions LSD?

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:29 pm

Duh..Thank for pointing that out Mikey. Let us know LSD what you think.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Doug1937 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:28 am

I have just tasted the A'bunadh tonite, for the first time, after having tried my first Balvenie 12 DW last month. Both scotches are excellent, quite well above most others in quality, at least for sherried scotches. However, I have to agree with most others here in saying that the Aberlour is a much more satisfying dram. It's much smoother, and has a meatier, more solid taste to it. That's perhaps due to the much higher alcohol percentage. But here in USA it's only about $10 more than the Balvenie DW. So, while either would be a FINE choice, the Aberlour is preferable unless you haven't had a Balvenie recently.
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:32 am

bought batch 23 yesterday :iwbrnt:
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Doug1937 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:46 am

About the A'bunadh: question is, to water or not to water? After all, it *is* CS, no? :?
Doug1937
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:07 am

I haven't added water to A'bunadh, but I will try it when I get home tomorrow night.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:31 am

Doug1937 wrote:About the A'bunadh: question is, to water or not to water? After all, it *is* CS, no? :?

Yes, it is - and as always, water is a personal choice - but I find the a'bunadh to be excellent as is. I'd recommend trying it neat, and adding just a few drops of water if you feel so inclined. There are some CS bottles that I feel benefit from a few drops of water, but the a'bunadh isn't one of them IMO.

But it's all about what YOU like. :D
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby LagaDrinker » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:19 am

I tried with water and I must say I think its better without.
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:58 pm

OK, it's time I stood up and admitted it. Hello, my name is Treacle and I don't like A'bunadh. There, I wasn't smited down. Smitten? Smote.

Anyway, I might just be the only person who would go for Balvenie. I've tried 2 batches of Abunadh and one wasn't very pleasant (#15). The other (#20) I thought was much better, but although it had a lot of flavours that normally I should like, they just didn't sit together well for me, and I wouldn't buy another bottle. If I work hard at it I can appreciate it, but I don't really like it and can't even be tempted by the current discounts that make it a bargain price for a CS whisky.
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:14 am

Treacle,You're in good company.  My father-in-law doesn't like it, either - and he has good taste in SM.  Personally I love it, but just like on the other thread a while ago, there are any number of whiskies that some people love and others can't stand.  I've found some that I like one week and not the next - probably just my palate acting up on me, but you never know.Anyhow, you go with your feelings and drink what you like.  Don't let the rest of us here bully you into drinking up our precious a'bunadh if you don't enjoy it.   :P

(The previous post was made with tongue deeply in cheek)
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:00 am

A;bunadh is a mood thang. A blast when you want that kinda thing, but for me, a bit of a one trick pony. A great trick, but for overall entertainment and greater complexity, among lo-cost CS whiskies, the Glenlivet Nadurra currently on offer for under £30 at Waitrose takes some beating.

It is the other extreme of Speyside, if you will.The polar opposite of the Aberlour - Naked and unashamed...i.e. sherry-less!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:42 am

UUNetBill wrote:Don't let the rest of us here bully you into drinking up our precious a'bunadh if you don't enjoy it.   :P

You're right, and I see my abstinence from Abunadh as my gift to the rest of you; it leaves all the more of it for you now :empty:

RB, I've not tried Nadurra yet, despite there being so many enthusiastic posts here for it earlier this year. I'll have to get onto it (although of course there isn't a Waitrose anywhere near here, so it'll be full price for me :( )
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:32 pm

TreacleSponge, you might have a choice! If you see the Nadurra at 48% as opposed to this one I've tried lately at 57.7%...the "weaker" one is also a great fun dram...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby t-bone » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:22 pm

I've only tried the A'bunadh once and thought the sherry influence (not the abv) was over-powering. I don't recall the batch and it was early in my exploration into single malts so I may need to try this one again.

I do adore the Balvenie DW though, always have a bottle or two on hand.
t-bone

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder