Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

regarding black douglas scotch whiskey

All your whisky related questions answered here.

regarding black douglas scotch whiskey

Postby Tel » Sat Dec 28, 2002 3:06 am

Afternoon all,
I am curious about 'The Black Douglas 100% Scotch Whiskey'. From the research I have done , which has not been that extensive, Black Douglas hardly rates a mention.
Is this because it is not considered a good scotch whiskey?
I have a 1125ml, bottle of (and I am typing what is on the label).... 'The Black Douglas deluxe 100% Scotch Whiskey....aged and blended in scotland'. Now I may be ignorant but I have always been under the impression that Black Douglas is a very good scotch.
So now the background is covered a couple of questions.
I have also thought that Black Douglas is aged 8- 12 years prior to bottling, is that correct as nothing is mentioned on this bottle?
Next is, if the above is correct the date stamped on the bottle is 01/98...which would then leave me to assume that this whiskey is now between 12- 16 years of age. So my question, is there an expiration date as such on this or does Black Douglas age well.
My reasons for asking these questions are that I am wanting to keep a bottle of whiskey to have a drink with my future son ( at the moment I am just practising )upon his turning 18 years of age. This was something that my departed father did with me ( 21 year old scotch and bourbon unopened and an 18 year old scotch sampled along the way)and something I felt very significant.
If you can propose a more preferential scotch whiskey that would also be appreciated.
Any comments opinions and advice would be very much welcome and appreciated
Thanks
Tel.
Tel

Postby blackkeno » Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:34 am

I am unfamiliar with Black Douglas, but I can tell you that whisky is not considered to age once it is removed from the cask and that a well sealed bottle kept upright in a dark cool place should easily last until the appropriate time.

I would probably try to pick up one of the few Springbank 21s still floating around for such a momentous occasion.
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:44 am

Black Douglas is very popular here in Australia and it is available at practically every liquor outlet.

As popular as it is, most people know that it is a cheap blend, and in terms of quality or aging, it is nothing to get excited about.

To put it in perspective for you, a standard 700ml bottle of Black Douglas costs about $24 (Australian Dollars). By comparison, Johnnie Walker Red costs $27, and Johnnie Walker Black costs $39. The standard Glenfiddich (the "Special Reserve", which is now a 12 year old) sells for about $50, and Glenlivet 12yo sells for about $55.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder