Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Is Scotch Bottled In Lead Crystal 47- Years Ago Safe?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Is Scotch Bottled In Lead Crystal 47- Years Ago Safe?

Postby Thunderball » Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:14 pm

I have a fifth of 30-year-old Ballentines scotch bottled in lead crystal that was purchased by my father in 1955. I was told that it may not be safe to drink due to the many years of exposure to lead crystal. Can anyone tell me if this is a genuine concern?
Thunderball

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:43 am

Thunderball - if it's only a fifth my guess is it wouldn't kill ya' - and although it's a Ballantines and not an Ardbeg or Lag of similar vintage (he said snobbishly) it could be worth the gamble.

What's the worst that could happen:

"Exposure to excessive levels of lead can cause brain damage; affect a child’s growth; damage kidneys; impair hearing; cause vomiting, headaches, and appetite loss; and cause learning and behavioral problems. In adults, lead can increase blood pressure and can cause digestive problems, kidney damage, nerve disorders, sleep problems, muscle and joint pain, and mood changes." The latter would seem to normally be associated with alcohol consumption.

Now - to add to the BS quotient - perhaps the phenols resulting antioxidant capacity would help to offset the lead; otherwise there's always chelation therapy!!!

After all - you are talking a rare dram with a wee history!!! Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Jan 16, 2003 4:47 am

Thunderball -PS - if it turns out to be an amazing dram I can be there in about 3 hours...depending on the border line-ups!!! Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Thunderball » Thu Jan 16, 2003 6:58 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WestVanDave:
Thunderball -PS - if it turns out to be an amazing dram I can be there in about 3 hours...depending on the border line-ups!!! Cheers, Dave.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Thanks, Dave.
Thunderball

Postby Ize » Thu Jan 16, 2003 8:49 am

Thunderball, remember the make tasting notes available here in WWBBS immediately after consuming a dram or two of that whisky. So that the description of the taste among you won't move into history ... Image Of course, if you manage to survive, remember to inform that too here, so that others can taste it without taking risks. Image

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 16 January 2003).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Thunderball » Sun Jan 19, 2003 7:56 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ize:
[B]Thunderball, remember the make tasting notes available here in WWBBS immediately after consuming a dram or two of that whisky. So that the description of the taste among you won't move into history ... Image Of course, if you manage to survive, remember to inform that too here, so that others can taste it without taking risks. Image

Kippis,
Ize

Will do, Ize, but it may be some time yet. Given the history of this particular bottle, I'm waiting for a special occasion to open it.
Thunderball

Postby WestVanDave » Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:11 pm

Thunderball - my 40th birthay is coming up - (June) - is that special enough for you??? Image

If you can't wait - Robbie Burns B'day is next Saturday (the 25th). You wouldn't have the burden of an obsessed Canadian at your doorstep that night, as we're hosting our annual Burns Dinner then - for 20 of our closest friends (and 20+ Scotches probably!!!).

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. - Our province's Premier can't make our Burns Dinner this year Image ...something about giving up drinking...go figure!!!
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Thunderball » Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:55 am

My 46th b’day is next month, I may be needing it then, although I’m beginning to hear the hoof beats of my 50th…(ouch) Image, that may very well be uncorking day, I really can’t say. My son may wind up as the lucky receipient. Your dinner plans sound fun, enjoy. Image

[This message has been edited by Thunderball (edited 20 January 2003).]
Thunderball

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder