Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Irish Whiskey selection

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Irish Whiskey selection

Postby Xavier Linmann » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:31 pm

Hi

I must pay a great friend for a huge favor. I know he is a big whiskey fan, especially Irish whiskey. Could any recomend a good Irish whiskey to buy. As long it is not over 250 euro, it s ok.

Also, where can I buy this in the Munchen area or on the Internet?

tschuess

Xavier
Xavier Linmann

Irish Whiskey selection

Postby Xavier Linmann » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:31 pm

Hi

I must pay a great friend for a huge favor. I know he is a big whiskey fan, especially Irish whiskey. Could any recomend a good Irish whiskey to buy. As long it is not over 250 euro, it s ok.

Also, where can I buy this in the Munchen area or on the Internet?

tschuess

Xavier
Xavier Linmann

Postby Nikwik » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:57 pm

I haven´t tried them but "those in the know" recommend Green Spot or Redbreast (both Pure Pot Still):
http://www.thewhiskystore.de/irland/midleton/greensp00.htm
http://www.thewhiskystore.de/irland/midleton/redbr1200.htm
Nikwik

Postby Nikwik » Mon Jan 13, 2003 3:57 pm

I haven´t tried them but "those in the know" recommend Green Spot or Redbreast (both Pure Pot Still):
http://www.thewhiskystore.de/irland/midleton/greensp00.htm
http://www.thewhiskystore.de/irland/midleton/redbr1200.htm
Nikwik

Postby Opili » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:10 pm

Hi Xavier,

try the Bushmills Millennium Malt Vintage 1975 (at TheWhiskyStore Nikwik recommended it costs about 150 Euro). It´s the best Irish I know.
Don´t try Magilligan peated Malt or Connemara, because they are more Scotch in character - and you said your friend likes Irish.
Opili

Postby Opili » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:10 pm

Hi Xavier,

try the Bushmills Millennium Malt Vintage 1975 (at TheWhiskyStore Nikwik recommended it costs about 150 Euro). It´s the best Irish I know.
Don´t try Magilligan peated Malt or Connemara, because they are more Scotch in character - and you said your friend likes Irish.
Opili

Postby Aidan » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:36 pm

Xavier,

Those are good choices. The bushmills 16 year old and 21 year olds are very very good - they are malts. If he likes the real Irish whiskey character, however, you could go for the Midleton Very Rare, Powers Milennium (my favourate), Jameson 15 year old pure pot still, Jameson 1780 (now called Jameson 12 year old) or the Tulamore Dew 12 year old. These range in price from about 30 euro to 150 euro.

Again, you can't go wrong with the Greenspot or the Redbreast...
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jan 13, 2003 4:36 pm

Xavier,

Those are good choices. The bushmills 16 year old and 21 year olds are very very good - they are malts. If he likes the real Irish whiskey character, however, you could go for the Midleton Very Rare, Powers Milennium (my favourate), Jameson 15 year old pure pot still, Jameson 1780 (now called Jameson 12 year old) or the Tulamore Dew 12 year old. These range in price from about 30 euro to 150 euro.

Again, you can't go wrong with the Greenspot or the Redbreast...
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby blackkeno » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:46 am

I agree with all the posts, but if your friend likes real Irish character then go for a pure pot still Irish. Although Redbreast and Greenspot are both great examples, they are near the bottom of your price range. I would stongly suggest the Jameson 15yo Pure Pot Still for about 100 euros. It was a millennium Limited Edition so there will not be any more of it around. The international blind tasting by Whisky Magazine picked it as the #1 Irish (although Greenspot was not one of the challengers).
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby blackkeno » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:46 am

I agree with all the posts, but if your friend likes real Irish character then go for a pure pot still Irish. Although Redbreast and Greenspot are both great examples, they are near the bottom of your price range. I would stongly suggest the Jameson 15yo Pure Pot Still for about 100 euros. It was a millennium Limited Edition so there will not be any more of it around. The international blind tasting by Whisky Magazine picked it as the #1 Irish (although Greenspot was not one of the challengers).
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder