Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Irish Whiskey in the States?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby NorthEast » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:41 pm

Hello,

Is anyone else having trouble getting good pot still?

Jameson’s & Bushmills are everywhere of course & after much searching I have found Tyrconell & Knappogue Castle 1992. But Powers 12 year old, Green Spot, Crested Ten, Locke's etc. are nowhere to be found. Are these simply not exported to America? (Punishment for the behavior of our “President” no doubt). Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks for your help.
NorthEast

Postby NorthEast » Thu Jan 16, 2003 10:41 pm

Hello,

Is anyone else having trouble getting good pot still?

Jameson’s & Bushmills are everywhere of course & after much searching I have found Tyrconell & Knappogue Castle 1992. But Powers 12 year old, Green Spot, Crested Ten, Locke's etc. are nowhere to be found. Are these simply not exported to America? (Punishment for the behavior of our “President” no doubt). Any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks for your help.
NorthEast

Postby Scully » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:05 am

I know in the Boston area Irish Whiskies are plentiful, including my absolute fave, Redbreast.

Slainte,

Scully
Scully

Postby Scully » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:05 am

I know in the Boston area Irish Whiskies are plentiful, including my absolute fave, Redbreast.

Slainte,

Scully
Scully

Postby Aidan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:52 pm

Northeast,

Where in the States do yo live? I know they are distributing Powers more widely these days. You can certainly buy them online.

Aidan
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:52 pm

Northeast,

Where in the States do yo live? I know they are distributing Powers more widely these days. You can certainly buy them online.

Aidan
Aidan

Postby blackkeno » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:09 am

By far the most accessible Pure Pot Still Irish available in the US in Redbreast at just over $30. Powers is a blend, heavy in pure pot still and is quite available and even more reasonably priced.

Other than Redbreast, I'm only aware of three other Pure Pot Still Irish expressions currently available in the US. They are Jameson 15 Limited Edition for about $100, and Knappogue Castle '51 (36yo) and Middleton 26yo each for about $500-600.

You are right, Greespot is not imported to the US (although you could check with Park Avenue Spirits). We were fortunate to start getting Redbreast a couple years ago!
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby blackkeno » Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:09 am

By far the most accessible Pure Pot Still Irish available in the US in Redbreast at just over $30. Powers is a blend, heavy in pure pot still and is quite available and even more reasonably priced.

Other than Redbreast, I'm only aware of three other Pure Pot Still Irish expressions currently available in the US. They are Jameson 15 Limited Edition for about $100, and Knappogue Castle '51 (36yo) and Middleton 26yo each for about $500-600.

You are right, Greespot is not imported to the US (although you could check with Park Avenue Spirits). We were fortunate to start getting Redbreast a couple years ago!
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:24 am

Greenspot is a pure pot still too. There is also a Midleton 25 year old and a Midleton 30 year old, along with the 26 year old you mentioned. They are from the old Midleton distillery. Finally, there's the Dungourney 1964.

The Knappogue Castle pot still is from the old Daley distillery in Tullamore. It's actually old Tullamore Dew. There are plans to fire up these stills, which are now in Kilbeggan. Hopefully they'll produce more of this great whiskey in years to come.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 21, 2003 11:24 am

Greenspot is a pure pot still too. There is also a Midleton 25 year old and a Midleton 30 year old, along with the 26 year old you mentioned. They are from the old Midleton distillery. Finally, there's the Dungourney 1964.

The Knappogue Castle pot still is from the old Daley distillery in Tullamore. It's actually old Tullamore Dew. There are plans to fire up these stills, which are now in Kilbeggan. Hopefully they'll produce more of this great whiskey in years to come.
Aidan

Postby blackkeno » Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:37 am

Unfortunately, Greenspot & Midleton 25 & 30 have not been available in the US. (Although they may be available on the "grey market.")
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby blackkeno » Sun Jan 26, 2003 3:37 am

Unfortunately, Greenspot & Midleton 25 & 30 have not been available in the US. (Although they may be available on the "grey market.")
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:35 am

Blakkeno

Apparently, the 30 year old Midleton is a bit too woodey for an Irish and is not a great drink. The 25 year old is superb, though. It's a shame the Greenspot is not available. Surely they could increase production.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:35 am

Blakkeno

Apparently, the 30 year old Midleton is a bit too woodey for an Irish and is not a great drink. The 25 year old is superb, though. It's a shame the Greenspot is not available. Surely they could increase production.
Aidan

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder