Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Interested in a program to store your SM tasting notes?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Interested in a program to store your SM tasting notes?

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:22 pm

Hey All,

I'm currently nearing completion of a little program I am making to store Whisky tasting notes.

The notes themself are follwing mostly the layout and setup of the tasting notes in the leather binding book "The Malt Whisky Guide" from David Stirk. Theres a few area's I have given more room, like expression and occasion.

Currently you can view data sorted on the score you gave it, and the name. Ofcourse you can search through the database as well, which is the real added value here. On brand for example I have a lot of "Old Malt Cask", which can be loads of distilleries. But those are named again in the expression field. So searching on "Ardbeg" would return me all tasting notes from both independent bottlers, AND official bottlings. Naturally there are options to add and delete tasting notes.

Now for my questions:

- Would you like to use such a program?
- Would you mind it much if it was DOS based? (currently its a exe which you can startup, and it will run in a MS-DOS screen, interaction goes with pressing keys).
- Anything you would really like to see in such a program?
- Any other suggestions?

For me making this program was mostly based on adding soem programming experience, but I think I like the program enough to make it really usefull. Once in a releasable form, I will make it available for download free of charge (mailware sounds good, send me a email if you like it Image, or how about dram-ware ....)

This week I have a few spare days to finnish it off, so if you think you have some idea's, please do let me hear it Image
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby r0b » Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:41 am

God evening Mr Kloppenburg,

I would very much like to have such a nifty lil' program. Provided that it has the elementary fields one needs to fill out a tasting note (nose, palate, body, colour, finish). Also age , year bottled, OB or independent. And maybe being able to add a weblink to the distillery. It would come in very handy. Image

Suggestions: how about being able to add pictures of the whisky being tasted?

There might also be good to have the option to set how peaty or how sweet the whisky is in drop-down menus (Blackadder often do).

DOS-mode would, in my humble opinion, not be a very good thing. I am running XP, and quite a few DOS-programs won't run flawlessly.

Lastly, two thumbs up for your program. Great idea!

[This message has been edited by r0b (edited 12 February 2003).]
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:29 am

Provided that it has the elementary fields one needs to fill out a tasting note (nose, palate, body, colour, finish). Also age , year bottled, OB or independent. And maybe being able to add a weblink to the distillery. It would come in very handy.

http://www.3mensions.nl/_trash/screenshot.gif
Above is a screenshot of how the program looks now. As you see there is enough fields to enter your notes in, and the length of each field is actually unlimited. If it would reach the end of the screen, it would continue on the next line.

Suggestions: how about being able to add pictures of the whisky being tasted?

For now, as my programming skills dont include the programming of a Graphical User Interface (GUI) I dont see how I can add that now. I do have plans to add a GUI once my abilities have reached such level. And that might be in a few months or so, depending how much spare time I have. Most important for me right now is to have the sorting of the records, searching, adding and deleting working, the GUI can be put on later then.

There might also be good to have the option to set how peaty or how sweet the whisky is in drop-down menus (Blackadder often do).

I could add drop down menu's in the final GUI based version. Although whatever will be put in those will heavily depend on personal style I bet, AND language too.

DOS-mode would, in my humble opinion, not be a very good thing. I am running XP, and quite a few DOS-programs won't run flawlessly.

The first released version will be a .exe file, so you can double click it, and it will startup as you see on the screenshot. The program doesnt really run in DOS as it would take over the entire screen etc. The only downside of using a DOS screen really is the fact that it doesnt look as pretty as a GUI based program. For the rest, its actually more beneficial to use DOS, as it is faster, and when a user decides he needs MUCH more space for a certain field, then it is no problem in DOS. With a predefined sized field in a GUI you would need to add scrollbars etc.

But that is for later, first I need to add the last few options to get the beta version going.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby ceedeedoos » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:00 pm

great idea
even though I am not in favour of a DOS program, I still think it's a good idea.. I've been playing with the idea of making one myself, windows-based then, but time is not on my side for the moment Image
maybe some day ;-)
ceedeedoos

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:11 pm

I will defenitally make it Windows based, once I have the capabilities for it Image

Also images to it etc would be great then. I just need some more knowledge before that...
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:58 am

Good news, already porting it to a windows based format now. Its actually cutting out a lot of code I needed for showing the notes in DOS, so in the end the program will actually be smaller, and thus faster (sorting hundreds of notes will sure go faster then).

I am looking into the possibility of addint pictures, but thats not a easy thing to do inside the programming language I am using (Perl). At this moment I cant even see how to add a little image to simply spice up the interface a bit....

If all goes like it goes now, I will have a ready to be used program early next week.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby ceedeedoos » Fri Feb 14, 2003 10:46 am

cool Image
The only language I ever managed to know partially was pascal Image oh yeah and C++ for dos but that's useless now Image
ceedeedoos

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder