Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Can you have a corky whisky

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Can you have a corky whisky

Postby Nic Rhodes » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:59 pm

I am very familiar with corky wines but can you have a whisky like this? The reason I ask is I have one with that definate aftertaste at the moment but have never heard of it before.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby westcoastboy » Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:07 pm

Yes you can, although I think its harder to pick up with a peaty whisky than with a lighter one (say a Speyside). As I understand it its the same chemical 'taint' as you would experience with wine (I can't remember the name for it but I'm sure someone out there can). However normally distillers use a higher grade of cork than wine producers, so cork taint in whisky should be less prevalant than the 10% sometimes estimated for wine.
westcoastboy

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:47 pm

This is why you need to keep whisky upstraight. The whisky is to strong, and would dissolve the cork.

Unlike wine, the evapourated alcohol is enough to keep the cork moist, so it wont stop sealing the bottle properly.

I have seen discussions going on if whisky should have plastic corks, which is less "natural", but are in fact probally better for whisky then corks are...

[This message has been edited by Jeroen Kloppenburg (edited 24 January 2003).]
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Fri Jan 24, 2003 10:06 pm

Looks like it's going back then

Despite wanting to lay bottles down (can store more!) I resisted when I moved my cellar and all my whisky is upright but I guess if I buy from a supermarket you take a chance.

Thanks for the info guys.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Czarny » Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:52 pm

I bought a corky Glenmorangie 10 yo once. I was furious ...
The nose and the palate were ok, but the finish was disastrous: it leaves you with this corky taste for a long time !
Czarny

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder