Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which Mortlach to try out?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Which Mortlach to try out?

Postby Ize » Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:58 am

Hello friends of whiskies,

my mission continues and now I'm considering to try out Mortlach ... and I need help for selection.

Next bottlings I could get my hands on with reasonable costs.

Mortlach Signatory Sherry Cask 43% 88/02
Mortlach Murray McDavid Sherry Cask 46% 89/01
Mortlach Murray McDavid Fresh Sherry Cask 46% 12yo-1990

At the time, I considering the last mentioned, since I haven't yet tried out any fresh sherry cask whisky (I'm not sure about Glendronach 15yo)... it might be an experience worth to try, or?

G&M's 15yo is bit out of my league and also Flora & Fauna 16yo ... but of course I will consider these if they are outstanding.

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby scotspain » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:58 pm

Ize,

The Signatory and MM bottlings are not topclass. They are good whiskies, as Mortlach is a great distillery. On the other hand the F&F 16 yo. is a great and complex whisky with sherry tones.
The next to try would be the limited edition which is also great but is getting expensive.
Normally I prefer independent bottlings but in this case I vote for the F&F 16 yo.

Stig
scotspain

Postby ploughboy » Tue Jan 07, 2003 9:44 pm

Hi Ize,
I have in my hand at this moment a 15 year old Mortlach from Gordon & Macphail and it is superb, a very well balanced whisky.
As this is my first bottle of Mortlach I can't compare it to the others.
I did not buy it myself so do not know what it cost but I will defintly buy another.
Hope you enjoy which ever one you pick and all the best for 2003
ploughboy

Postby Gate » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:29 pm

Mortlach is one of the greats, and I've never come across a bad one, so I'm sure whichever one you pick won't disappoint. It can definitely take age and sherry, though. Best Mortlachs I've ever had are from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society ( www.smws.co.uk ) - but I don't know whether they will mail to Finland.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby John Clotworthy » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:59 am

Hi Ize
Try G&M cask strength 22 year old Mortlach at 63% abv, heaven in a bottle.
Slainthe John
John Clotworthy

Postby Ize » Fri Jan 10, 2003 7:58 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Clotworthy:
<B>Hi Ize
Try G&M cask strength 22 year old Mortlach at 63% abv, heaven in a bottle.
Slainthe John</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Heh, thanks for the advice John. I will remember that when I win in the lottery. Image

Scotspain and others, about Signatory and MM, are they by default kept as not topclass or is it just these Mortlach bottlings? Probably the latter ... right?

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Mon Feb 24, 2003 7:26 am

Ok,

fresh sherry cask M&M Mortlach 1990/2002 was too sherried, although I must admit that it was better balanced than Glendronach 15yo. I'll give premilinary points of 8½ to Mortlach (still in the middle of the tasting, only two drams tasted) and I have to lower Glendronach's points to 8.

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby scotspain » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:52 am

When I said the MM and Signatory were not top class I meant the Mortlach bottlings mentioned.
scotspain

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:25 pm

Mortlach 16 yr from Flora and Fauna is outstanding and a cult favourite at the Dufftwon whisky festival where Per Lovlie, Norwegian conoisseur, always has it in his tasting sessions.

Superb!

Glendronach 15 yr old is very good and worth trying as an alternative to Macallan.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby port_alan » Mon Mar 03, 2003 11:36 pm

Greetings Whisky Fans,

Mortlach is one of my favorite malts and there are a lot of nice ones out there. My favorite is the 1972 22 year old (65.3%) from the Rare Malt series. The Limited Edition (sometimes known as CS F&F) is also very nice at 80/17 63.1%. If you are looking for something a little less expensive consider the young Cadenhead expressions. One that is available in the USA is the 87/10 at 61.6%.

Alan
port_alan

Postby Nic Rhodes » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:04 pm

The un chill filtered Signatory Mortlach is good not great, tastes of Porchini / Cep / Penny buns!
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder