Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

10?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

10?

Postby r0b » Tue Mar 04, 2003 11:41 pm

Has any whisky ever been scored 10/100 by Murray, Broom, Jackson or Co.?

*curious*
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 05, 2003 1:37 am

R0b

I think the idea is that if they ever find a "perfect" whisky, there would be no need to try anything else. I have never seen a 10 scored by any of these tasters.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:33 am

The perfect whisky doesn't exist....Macallan doesn't taste like Lagavulin, and Lagavulin doesn't taste like Macallan!! :-)
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:35 am

Mind you, Jim Murray did once say of Ardbeg, "If perfection on the palate exists, then this is it"! (or words to that effect)
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:43 am

Hej rOb,

it's true, there hasn't been a maximum score neither by Jackson, Murray nor Broom. The best score I can remember was a 9 3/4 score for the ARDBEG "Provenance 1974". But the thrill remains.....The question is: Why make scores at all, why not simply tasting notes (fruity, salty, peaty etc.). The problem is that people might be put off trying the more "unknown" distillery products and everybody is hunting after Macallans, Ardbegs, Lagavulins and so on, although that's o.k. of course, but we also have to thought about the whiskies which stand in the shadows of the so called big ones.

Cheers!
Juerg
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:51 pm

Spot on Juerg, he has a point there. A score is nice, and especially for the producing companies it's good to see how they are doing. But then again the little ones are fading to the background, and I don't thing that it is the meaning of this whole score thing. A 10 is a score you'll never see here, perhaps in your own opinion when you taste whisky, maybe it's a 10 for you. I think it's very personal what a score for a whisky should look like, Aidan might give an Ardbeg 1976 a 8 1/2 while I might give it a 7 1/2 or a 8 you see? So what's in a score???? But it's nice to give one if you like. People like MJ or JM are probably the leading figures when it comes to the market of scotch, there scores decide probably for the most of us, wich one is good and wich one is the very best, while it is in my opinion better to sort it out for your self wich is good or even better, and let your sences guide you.....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby skywalker » Wed Mar 05, 2003 9:20 pm

I agree on Juerg and Huurman, giving whiskies points is a very subjective approach to assess the quality of a whisky. Sometimes I have the feeling that certain distilleries have some kind of "popularity bonus" among the tasters. Looking at the tasting notes for the Macallan vintages in issue28 i cannot believe the number of points: 7 to 9 points for whiskies that matured for more than 30 years in sherry casks? I think I wouldn´t call this product whisky any longer. I would rather call it "Exceptional ugly cask".

Torsten

(I hope I´m not kicked out of this forum?!)
skywalker

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 06, 2003 9:49 am

Hi Skywalker,

Some whiskies are very exceptional, so they score very high, like The Macallan, Springbank, Ardbeg, Highland Park, Rosebank etc etc. Just see for your self if you taste one day an exceptional nice vintage, you will give it a high score. Believe it or not: The Macallan is still popular, even to those who think otherwise here at the forum or attacking The Macallan here, you'll find a bottle of this stuff at their cabinets....But it's still up to you, to have your own opinion about this, and about whiskies from 30Y or older who happend to be matured in an oak sherry cask for more then 30Y(The Macallan also have a 1968 vintage, matured in American Oak). But I can imagine your feelings about the tasters: that they get some kind of "popularity bonus" or what so ever....But I don't think that it will work that way.

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby peatreek1 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:54 pm

I agree with comment that the products of certain distilleries are given high scores probably before even being tasted, due to the subjectivity of ratings and preconceived notions. However, I don't have a problem with ratings, such as Michael Jackson's, if used in right context. For example, as Michael Jackson notes, a whisky rated 75 is a good product and well worth tasting, and most whiskies are given ratings of 70 or higher. A highly ranked whisky by a well-regarded writer is probably worth investigating.

Where ratings could become a problem is when they are given too much importance, which I see more in the wine world rather than whisky world. One would hate to have it be taken as an insult or sign of bad taste to serve someone a whisky rated only an 80. But I don't see that happening, or at least not amongst the people I associate with.
peatreek1

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:13 pm

You get no two-faced attacks on Macallan from me, calling it bad in public but secretly sneaking drams in the closet. There is no whisky from The Macallan in my cabinet. Never has been and until I taste one that warrants buying, there never will be. I am always open to a taste but so far I've been disappointed. But that doesn't mean it is bad! Just because it isn't to my tastes, doesn't mean it is bad.

As I keep telling beginning scotch drinkers, you need some of your own experience before you can get much out of a tasting note or a score. Your impressions may be quite different from others. Professional tasters disagree but read notes and scores from many of them to see which ones line up more closely with your own so you can use them as a guide.

Even from day to day a whisky which was the best you've ever tasted may be not so good one day and back to being excellent another day. One taste of a whisky is not enough for a rating. IMO, you must finish a bottle, over time (certainly not an evening Image ) before you will know it well.

Can there be a perfect whisky? I suppose but I doubt it as I like different whiskies at different times, in different moods, before or after different meals, etc.

Harry

[This message has been edited by hpulley (edited 06 March 2003).]
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Iain » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:04 pm

Sorry to disappoint you Erik - none on my shelf, and I've never bought a bottle.
But I've had a dram or three and it's perfectly ok (if you like the taste of sherry Image
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby skywalker » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:12 pm

Hello again,

I don´t know how the tastings at whisky magazine are conducted, but I would suggest to rate the whiskies in a blind tasting. No glance at the label and the colour of the whisky.

Torsten
skywalker

Postby r0b » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:13 pm

What the... was my follow-up message here deleted?
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:37 pm

Great idea, a blind N&T. So no personal influences....

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:03 pm

Blind N&T is great fun! Forces you to really find the aromas and tastes yourself instead of trying to recognize those mentioned on the official tasting forms.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder