Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Artificial Corks?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Artificial Corks?

Postby cbandico » Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:55 pm

What does everyone think of whisky bottling going to artifical corks? It would eliminate the problem with "corky" whisky. I know Compass Box already uses them and is a big advocate of industry change. Any thoughts?
cbandico

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:20 pm

Tecnically spoken it would be a improvmeent indeed. Corky whiskies are our enemy!

Esthetically spoken plastic would not be a improvement. Since somehow we all want Whisky to be pure and natural as possible. And how weird it may sound, a plastic cork doesnt fill that profile.

I'm sure distilleries are aware of that, and for that reason not using plastic corks yet. I have a feeling plastic corks would even be cheaper to produce then natural cork. anyone has more information on this?

In the end I'm pretty sure we will see a increase in plastic corks until we are all used to it Image
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:49 pm

Great idea he says having had his finger burned with a corky Springbank recently.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby peatreek1 » Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:53 pm

I recall reading somewhere (was it on whisky-world?) that at least for wine, the best seal is actually the metal screw top. At least for higher priced wines/liquors aesthetics wins out over function.
peatreek1

Postby heer.veer » Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:38 am

Ok,

Cork is the only one with the "Natural" feel which we all like, but when I think of it, the plastic screwcap that´s on the Glen Scotia 14 f.i. seems the best way to close a bottle. It´s small, neutral and closes the bottle for a 100%...

It´s still plastic though....
heer.veer
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Mar 12, 2003 1:27 pm

Plastic corks are weird. I haven't found any in whisky bottles yet but in wine bottles they are strange. They don't expand like cork as they don't absob so I don't see the point. If there isn't enough cork in the world or if cork is causing problems then a screw cap is fine with me. I was at one time worried that opening a bottle of scotch 20-30 times might break a screw cap but I've yet to see it happen.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder