Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Does Johnnie Walker Grey exist?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Re: Does Johnnie Walker Grey exist?

Postby Maakun » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:13 pm

Somebody mentions it here: http://phorums.com.au/archive/index.php ... 8-p-2.html

However, Google only gives 3 results, one of them this forum... You would think if it really existed it would be at least mentioned on some more sites.
Maakun

Postby hook55 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:29 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:I don't think so.... My (admittedly completely uninformed) guess is that it was a limited release, possibly for one of the Asian duty-free markets. But don't quote me.

Where I am they are BIG on JW all the colours and Swing But, I have never seen Grey? like you said Limited release and sold very quick Probably in duty free?
hook55
Silver Member

Postby Jobi » Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:48 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:But don't quote me.

Too late.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby Eric m » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:47 am

Never heard of JW grey may be the label was discoloured by the sun.
If you like to stick around blends for now i suggest you try the following 1Islay mist,2 the six isles and 3 black bottle.Good blended(malt) whiskies that give you an idea there is more out there.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby Rettere » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:53 pm

Without writing the full translation of that German post, basically it is an in-forum roleplaying game where every post you make says what your character is doing. Someone's character just ordered a faesschen (mini-keg) of Johnny Walker Grey... They say it's really tasty.. and that the waitress is wearing a short miniskirt... Shall I continue?

Rettere

woodhill wrote:Anyone read German?

Bottom Post on this page - what does it say

http://thexperience.de/Forum/thread.php ... 037866f0c8
Rettere

Postby woodhill » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:01 pm

Rettere wrote: it is an in-forum roleplaying game where every post you make says what your character is doing. Someone's character just ordered a faesschen (mini-keg) of Johnny Walker Grey...

So JWG IS make believe! :)
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Eric m » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:21 pm

It is a story in some kind of game and obvious the person knows more about the game than about whisky for he orders the best whisky namely JW grey label,perhaps he saw it in a shop once forgot the colour only remembered it was JW.
Schade fuer Sie aber es gibt leider kein JW Greylabel.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:17 pm

Eric m wrote:Schade fuer Sie aber es gibt leider kein JW Greylabel.

Vielleicht - aber das koennen Sie von diese Geschichte nicht beweisen. Es ist niemals moeglich (zu mindestens ganz schwierig), eine negative Aussage zu beweisen.
Deactivated Member

Postby Eric m » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:16 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
Eric m wrote:Schade fuer Sie aber es gibt leider kein JW Greylabel.

Vielleicht - aber das koennen Sie von diese Geschichte nicht beweisen. Es ist niemals moeglich (zu mindestens ganz schwierig), eine negative Aussage zu beweisen.

Aber die geschichte gibt die Wahrheit auch nicht,so wir konnen sagen es liegt in der mitte.
I`ve checked on Google also and there`s no other trace about JW greylabel.If i`m wrong let me be the first to go on my knees and beg for forgiveness :D .
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby woodhill » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:22 pm

Has anyone actually emailed JW about this?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:12 pm

C_I wrote:
Eric m wrote:I`ve checked on Google also and there`s no other trace about JW greylabel..

If you cannot find it on Google, it does not mean it does not exist. It could be that the bottle has disappeared from the cache of Google.

I have found reference on Google to the tooth fairy, Father Christmas and God. What conclusions should I draw?
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:02 am

That you are adept at confusing us with syllogistic fallacy?

Is this real?

Do bottles disappear from cache frequently?
Deactivated Member

Postby Eric m » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 am

C_I wrote:
Eric m wrote:I`ve checked on Google also and there`s no other trace about JW greylabel..

If you cannot find it on Google, it does not mean it does not exist. It could be that the bottle has disappeared from the cache of Google.

If the grey was real there should be any news made known by the company they do not have a passive way of advertising.Even their own site reveals nothing about it.Google is the biggest searchmachine in the world and they only gave 3 links or so,i can even get more info about my mother in law on the net.But if you can come up with other news,please share it :? .
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby r900p » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:31 pm

So this topic is still a grey area then?! :oops:

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:17 pm

Eric m wrote:Google is the biggest searchmachine in the world and they only gave 3 links or so,i can even get more info about my mother in law on the net.But if you can come up with other news,please share it :? .
Eric.

Wel, there's this.
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:05 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
Eric m wrote:Google is the biggest searchmachine in the world and they only gave 3 links or so,i can even get more info about my mother in law on the net.But if you can come up with other news,please share it :? .
Eric.

Wel, there's this.

Thanks Mr T I now know so much more about JWG. :wink:

A man finds a lamp, rubs it, and sure enough a genie appears. The genie tells the man he may have 2 wishes. He will get whatever 2 things he wishes, BUT whatever he gets, his MIL will get double. The man thinks for a while & then proclaims "1. I'd like a million dollars. 2. Beat me half to death".
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:41 am

I just heard from somebody that had tried Johnnie Walker Grey, a variation of JWB and available in duty free only and to celebration the association with the Mclaren F1 team.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby jojor314 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:26 pm

I was working at a customers house. He had a bottle of Johnnie Walker that I have never seen before. It was a Silver Label Limited Edition, I asked him about it. He said he had bought it in Costa Rica, he owns a bar here in NYC so I imagined its a duty free item because he would just buy it from a supplier. He said it was a good product and dropped it quickly because I don't thimk he wanted to share or give it to me as a tip! I am interested in getting a bottle, so if anyone has information on getting a bottle I am in NYC.
jojor314

Postby Pruim » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:10 pm

Lawrence wrote:a variation of JWB and available in duty free only and to celebration the association with the Mclaren F1 team.

Correct. The grey (or silver) johnnie Walker edition is mistaken for either this or this (scroll down a bit).

Both are regular JWB in a special casing.
Pruim

Postby navy_flyer » Sat May 10, 2008 1:46 am

I've drunk it myself (1 shot worth). It wasn't my bottle but the person who bought it I think found someone in Okinawa to ship a bottle to him. He paid around $600 for the bottle. It was by far the BEST scotch I've ever had. I'd never pay that much for a bottle, but as long as he was pouring....
navy_flyer

Postby navy_flyer » Sun May 11, 2008 2:33 am

Thanks for the welcome! Grey Label is definitely a unicorn. I have never heard about it before or since trying it that one time. And it was most assuredly NOT JWB in a special box or case or anything. The bottle had a silver label and was titled as such. I've had plenty of black label and plenty of blue, and it was not even close to either of them.

Blue Label is great.
Macallen 25 is fantastic
Grey Label was unbelievable

But what the hell do I know? I can't afford to drink that stuff on a regular basis. This weekend it's Glenlivet 15. :)
navy_flyer

Postby Laphroaig » Wed May 14, 2008 11:27 am

I posed the question with a reliable source with-in the Classic Malts / Walker contingency stating that someone insinuated this might be confusion with the McLaren race team release and others saying it was a regional release for Duty Free locations or a one-off:

Yes to the racing canister.

No to the grey label.

There have been a couple with labels that have looked silver.

All the Best - xxxxx xxxx
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby navy_flyer » Fri May 16, 2008 2:54 am

Laphroaig wrote:I posed the question with a reliable source with-in the Classic Malts / Walker contingency stating that someone insinuated this might be confusion with the McLaren race team release and others saying it was a regional release for Duty Free locations or a one-off:

Yes to the racing canister.

No to the grey label.

There have been a couple with labels that have looked silver.

All the Best - xxxxx xxxx

Well, I don't know if you will believe me or not, but as I stated above, I HAVE DRUNK Grey Label and I can ASSURE you I was not mistaken. It was GREY LABEL and not some weird packaging of a more common whiskey. The buyer paid 600 bucks for it and I read the label myself. It was GREY LABEL. It does exist.....and it is FANTASTIC!
navy_flyer

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 16, 2008 7:39 am

Distillery reps aren't always right. For example, whilst touring Glendullan, they said that the only OB they had ever done was the Flora and Fauna. They denied outright that there had ever been an 8yo OB, despite the fact it was on sale in the Dufftown Whisky Shop at the time.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Fri May 16, 2008 9:53 am

navy_flyer wrote:.... or not, but as I stated above, I HAVE DRUNK Grey Label and I can ASSURE you I was not mistaken. It was GREY LABEL and not some weird packaging of a more common whiskey. The buyer paid 600 bucks for it and I read the label myself. It was GREY LABEL. It does exist.....and it is FANTASTIC!

Is it better than the Black and Gold label :angel:
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Laphroaig » Fri May 16, 2008 3:46 pm

navy_flyer wrote:Well, I don't know if you will believe me or not, but as I stated above, I HAVE DRUNK Grey Label and I can ASSURE you I was not mistaken. It was GREY LABEL and not some weird packaging of a more common whiskey. The buyer paid 600 bucks for it and I read the label myself. It was GREY LABEL. It does exist.....and it is FANTASTIC!
I'm certainly in no position to judge and was simply passing on a response from (1) individual representing the company.

Nick Brown wrote:Distillery reps aren't always right.
Proven regularly. :insane:
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat May 17, 2008 5:41 pm

1) I'm glad it has been confirmed that it exists.
2) I'll bet there is confusion with the F1 bottling.
3) Distillery reps are a font of misinformation. I could add to Nick's example but enough said.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby recordmeister » Sun May 18, 2008 1:27 am

Just for the record, there are now tasting notes of the JW Gold (Cent Ed) and the Blue at http://www.caskstrength.net

:D

Check 'em out.
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Postby themikewiles » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Yes it did - and it was fantastic. Bought a bottle for my dad, would have been at French Duty Free just before Channel Tunnel Crossing - 1997/1998 - final year of my degree. He was in Saudi at the time and asked me to grab him a bottle of Black Label for when he got home - I saw Grey and thought I'd give it a blast! He reckons it was one of the best whisky's he's ever tried. oddly enough, he was at a friends house about 3-4 weeks after he got home and his friend suggested he tried this whisky, betting that he couldn't guess what it was - my old man tried a drop and said "oh, it's JW Grey Label" - his mate was flabbergasted - my old man explained!! Wish I'd bought more as it was exeptional - have no idea of it's origins though. It wasn't that expensive at the time either, I think I paid about £60.00 quid for it!!!!

Haven't seen it since and all I hear is these rumours of it ever existing!! :headbang:
themikewiles

Previous

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder