Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Burnin' smoooke..!?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Burnin' smoooke..!?

Postby cenwyn » Wed Apr 02, 2003 6:39 am

Hi!

I have a couple of questions for you...

1) Which is the smokiest whisky that you can lay your hands on for less than 100£?

2) After trying out the Balvenie Doublewood, I was so impressed that I'm aiming for buying at least another one. I was thinking of the 21y port wood, but I was wondering anyone had other ideas? Is there a better Balvenie (in my price range, which is about 0 < 100€)?
cenwyn

Postby hpulley » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:03 pm

Ardbeg TEN is the smokiest whisky I've ever had and it is quite reasonably priced.

I also enjoy The Balvenie 12yo Doublewood and I've been thinking about trying The Balvenie 12yo port wood but in the meantime I found a Chieftain's Choice bottling of Auchroisk 11yo port finish which is really good for half the price of The Balvenie 21yo. Now, it is half the age but age isn't everything. That bottling of Auchroisk is my favorite speyside at the moment. I finished my first bottle and bought another (as yet unopened). Don't have any speysiders open at the moment, actually.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby ceedeedoos » Wed Apr 02, 2003 4:49 pm

balvenie 21y portwood is nice... I prefer it over the doublewood, but comparing value to price, I'd go for the doublewood Image
ceedeedoos

Postby r0b » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:10 pm

The smokiest? Laphroaig 10, Ardbeg 10 and Lagavulin 16 (not necessarily in that order). Then there's always the raw peat-monster Ileach (cheap too!).

The Balvenie Doublewood is a fantastic malt. It is my favourite in their core range (the 10, 15 single cask, 17 Islay cask finish, 21 port and 25). I always recommend it to friends as a classy, elegant & appetizing whisky at an affordable price.

My advice would be to try the 10 before buying the older & more expensive ones. I believe there are "gift sets" of 10 or 20 cl bottles of the 10, 12 and 25 year olds. Might be worth considering (can't remember the price though).

In any case, happy hunting in the wonderful world of Balvenie. Image
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Apr 02, 2003 8:35 pm

For Smokiness, common or garden Ardbeg 10 yr old compared to other whiskies is like comparing Lennox Lewis to Alan Titchmarsh.

I would stick to Balvenie 10 yr old. I have tried the 10 yr, 12 yr, 15 yr and 21 yr and I've yet to be convinced that the 10 yr old isn't the best. It's like drinking warm hioney in a glass.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby cenwyn » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:52 am

Thanks for all replies!

I've tried the 10y old Balvenie, but I don't think it is as good as the doublewood. And as a matter of fact, I just got word from a friend of mine that he had found the 21y old port wood in a tax free zone in Italy, for 50€. So next week I will lay my hands on it! Preciousss..!

And it was the same friend as above who was wondering about smoky whiskies. He claims that he drank a whisky a while ago, that was VERY smoky, but he can't recall its name. And as he's an avid drinker of Laphroig and Lagavulin, I have mentioned Ardbeg and Ileach (even Cragganmore and Oban), but he doesn't think it was any of those...

Could it have been Port Ellen? Brora? Any ideas? Maybe a cask strength Laphroig under a different name (is there any?)?
cenwyn

Postby The Fachan » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:47 pm

Cenwyn,

Outside chance the peaty one might have been Longrow at 60ppm.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby peatreek1 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:00 pm

The smokiest whisky that I have tried by far was Finlaggan, which to me initially has a nose and taste of burnt newspaper.

Ardberg 10 is certainly well peated, but is still suprisingly well-balanced; great stuff.
peatreek1

Postby hpulley » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:17 pm

I much prefer The Balvenie 12yo Doublewood to their 10yo. Just much more interesting.

I find current Laphroaig 10yo 40% ABV to not be smoky at all. Phenolic, peaty, some seaweed and so on but not smoky. It used to be smokier, I think. I don't find Lagavulin 16yo to be that smoky at the moment either, again more peaty and phenolic than smoky like Ardbeg TEN.

Caol Ilas can be quite smoky as well. I have a 10yo Dun Bheagan bottling right now that is good and smoky, I'd say 80-90% as smoky as Ardbeg TEN.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:14 pm

I think the Laphraoig is very peaty, but not as smookey as some others. I think it's mainly the peaty water that's used that gives it it's taste, rather than the smoke...
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:15 pm

Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby cenwyn » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:14 am

Maybe I'll let him taste my Connemara, if it's peat that he wants..!

Finlaggan was good advice! I'll look one of those bottles up as soon as I can! It seems Jackson recommends the 15y old if you're in it for the smoke and the roaring Islay character. Which do you recommend? I think I read here somewhere that Finlaggan was probably made by Laphroig or Lagavulin? Is this still true? Any insights?
cenwyn

Postby cenwyn » Fri Apr 04, 2003 6:19 am

And what about the Macleod's Islay? Any good? Any smoky? Buhu, it seems you can't get Finlaggan at Systembolaget in Sweden... :-(
cenwyn

Postby MacAndersson » Fri Apr 04, 2003 11:20 am

cenwyn
The Macleod Islay is an 8 YO Lagavulin that I can highly recommend. Great value at 299SEK.
MacAndersson

Postby scotspain » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:01 pm

Blackadders answer would be 'Smoking Islay'

Stig
scotspain

Postby adogranonthepitch » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:01 pm

The smoke meister has to Signatory's Vintage Islay Cask Strength 5yo Islay at 24.95 of your english pounds.

My man ( on the inside) says its Laga of the Vulin. I warn you now, it ain't pretty. Big and Bonfire like.

Finally, dont open a bottle under a smoke dectector!
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder