Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whiskey Storage

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Bowmore Claret?

Postby Admiral » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:25 am

I'm wondering if anyone can provide helpful information on the difference between two Bowmore bottlings.

One is called simply "Bowmore Claret", and has "Bordeaux casked" underneath. It has been bottled at 56%. I bought this about six months ago.

The other is called "Bowmore Dusk" and also has "Bordeaux casked" underneath, but this has been bottled at 50%. I bought this last weekend.

The cardboard tubes that each come in have different artwork designs on them.

Was one an earlier bottling and they then changed their marketing approach? Or did Bowmore consciously market two different strengths and name them differently? Either way, they both appear to have been finished in the claret casks.

Can anyone help?
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:26 am

Hi Admiral,

The first of these two was Bowmore Claret; because of the heavy demand they came up with the "Dusk". I have both of them but as they are not open I am unable to tell the difference. During a tasting I bought a dram of "Claret", but unfortunately drowned it by pouring too much water in it. Undiluted I was a little bit disappointed but some days you like a certain whisky and some other day not. Maybe I was in the wrong mood....

Slainté!
Juerg
JUERG GLUTZ-KURMANN

Postby ceedeedoos » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:14 pm

the Claret is now far more scarce than the dusk that is readily available here ... and therefore should be higher in price than the dusk ...
ceedeedoos

Whiskey Storage

Postby LordDreyfus » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:38 pm

I know wine has to be stored top down and at cool temps, does whiskey have to be stored the same way? Some liquer bottles are not shaped to enable this very easy. What about vodka, gin and the others?
LordDreyfus

Postby ceedeedoos » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:27 pm

keep your bottles up straight Image not too cold either, I just store at room temperature in a dark place ...
ceedeedoos

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder