Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whiskey Storage

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Lagavulin

Postby Davide » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:55 pm

Is there a bottle of Lagavulin 19 years old?
Davide

Postby Rudy » Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:49 pm

Hello Davide,

the OB's I know of are 12y, 16y and 25y. There might be independant bottlings of Lagavulin 19y, but I'm not sure.
Do you have a special reason looking for a 19y Lagavulin?

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:45 am

What Davide might be thinking of was your posting Rudy - re: the 1981 Double Matured PX ... seemingly a 19 year old...

Rudy
Junior Member posted 13 April 2003 03:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Jon,
your experience with the double matured Lagavulin is quite the same as mine. They're both great, but the PX finish seems to add a dimension that very much suits my taste. I have the 1981, bottled 2000, haven't tasted others.

Rudy.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby lexkraai » Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:17 pm

Rudy

The Scotch Whisky Order of 1990 states that the spirit must be matured for at least 3 years in oak casks in order to be called 'whisky'. The order says nothing about changing the whisky from one cask to another and whether that has relevance to the age statement. So a whisky matured for 16 years in a bourbon cask and subsequently for another 4 years in a port pipe is a 20 y.o. whisky.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:22 pm

Hi Lex,

Can you explain me then, why the "Centenary Edition" from Benromach has an age statement for 17Y, while it has matured in Oak casks for 15Y at the first period, and 17Y in Sherry casks for the second period, 15 plus 17 makes 32Y old isn't it, according to your Exaple from your earlyer post to Rudy????? Now, I would like to know that the answer to that question, I know the Whisky act from 1988, wich says nothing about changing whisky from one to another..

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby lexkraai » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:04 am

Erik, the info I have on Benromach Centenary is that, as you say, of a 15 y.o. whisky re-racked into very old sherry casks. Subsequently it is bottled and sold as a 17 y.o. Appears to me that the finishing period is 2 years. If what you say is right, it can only be legally sold as a 15 y.o. (and never as a 17 y.o.). What is your source for saying that the period in the old sherry casks is 17 years (on top of the 15 years it spent in other casks) rather than 2 years (as stated explicitly by, for instance, Walter Schobert in Das Whisky Lexicon)?

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:27 am

Hi Lex,

My source at that time was "Verhaar"(Februari 2000), quite some time ago, now I'm getting curious in your story, and what they told me, two differend stories, because if what you say it's right, then then what I've heard is wrong, so wich is wich on this one? I have verified this some time ago about this subject, about the 15Y in lets say cask A, and spend 17Y in cask B, their answer was, that you can't speak of a finish anymore after 17Y, but about a full maturation, wich means 17Y... Hmm strange don't you think so Lex...

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:35 am

I have never heard of a whisky being "finished" for 17 years. That sounds very odd indeed. Is "Verhaar" a trustworthy source of whisky info?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby lexkraai » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:43 am

Erik, what is the legal line between 'finishing' and 'maturing' and where can I find the source that says finishing does not count towards the age of a whisky whereas maturing does?

I've certainly never heard of a legal distinction between the two, so please fill me in on this one!

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:14 pm

Lex,

I'm not sure if there's a legal definition between a finish and a maturation, however I won't be surprised if there is one. By the time I found out about this, my source was a person from the industry, he said that after three years you can't speak of a finish, but more about a maturation or perhaps even better a double maturation, but are there some guidelines too for double maturation? I don't know. All I know is that a finish usually goes from 3 months up to 2 years, but even after 2 years you would call it a double maturation(see for example Aberlour 12Y old Double wood). So where's the guide line? Perhaps each company has their own regulations, and thougts about this... It's clear that, for example, the Benromach stated 17Y, while I have heard that before the 17 long years it allready has matured for 15 years. But then again might it have been a 15Y old with a 2Y finish? Then say it's a 17Y old? Can you fill me in on this Lex?

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby lexkraai » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:28 pm

Erik, I contacted Benromach about their Centenary and got a very clear and open reply within hours: 15 y.o. whisky re-racked into very old sherry casks for another 2 years, making it a 15+2=17 y.o., which is the age stated on the label. So time in both casks contributes to the age statement.

Well, at least that confusion is cleared up!
Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Whiskey Storage

Postby LordDreyfus » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:38 pm

I know wine has to be stored top down and at cool temps, does whiskey have to be stored the same way? Some liquer bottles are not shaped to enable this very easy. What about vodka, gin and the others?
LordDreyfus

Postby Iain » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:48 pm

Hats off to Benromach.

Their prompt and authoritative reply to Lex puts a certain sulky and uncommunicative distillery to shame Image
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby ceedeedoos » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:27 pm

keep your bottles up straight Image not too cold either, I just store at room temperature in a dark place ...
ceedeedoos

Postby Rudy » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:36 pm

Aye!

Rudy
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:24 pm

Thanks Lex, that shines a differend light to this matter, so technicaly they put the ages all together, and there you have it, a 17Y old Benromach Image
Deactivated Member

Postby Davide » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:35 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rudy:
<B>Hello Davide,

the OB's I know of are 12y, 16y and 25y. There might be independant bottlings of Lagavulin 19y, but I'm not sure.
Do you have a special reason looking for a 19y Lagavulin?

Rudy.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank's for your answord, I know only 16y Lagavulin but 15 days ago a my friend has promise that he has found that bottle and I don't belive. SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH
Davide

Postby Rudy » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:14 pm

Hello Davide,

I'm happy to contribute in this forum and do not care for anybody's English.

What matters here most is your taste, the whiskies that you enjoy and your opinion you want to share.

Have fun!

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder