Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

ARDBEG 1973 Connoisseurs Choice

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Postby ceedeedoos » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:01 pm

try something from Laphroaig Image or any other Islay, like Lagavulin, will basically do ... one of my favourites there is the new Bruichladdich (not very peaty, but that's not necessary Image)

the balvenie doublewood, or preferrably the 21Y old Portwood, are very nice! I also like the Glenfiddich 21Y Havana Reserve, or the Glenrothes (currently only have the 1989 on my shelf) ...

if you like sherry, get yourself some macallan Image

Highland Park 18Y old, a must to have! The 12Y old is also very nice Image

as for lowlands, I'm not very acquainted with more than one ... I had the Auchentoshan Three wood, don't buy it Image

oh yeah, aberlour a'bunadh is lovely too, and good value for your money, since it's 60.2% ... the same goes to lesser extent for the Glenfarclas 105 ...

[This message has been edited by ceedeedoos (edited 16 April 2003).]
ceedeedoos

Postby Rudy » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:16 pm

Hello mcalpin1,

the first things that came to mind were:

Highland Park 12y
Glenfarclas 12y
Aberlour 10y
Linkwood 15y
Dalmore 12y

The above mentioned are 'standard' bottlings, so it's easier to get a collection together. Older expressions are usually more enjoyable, but you pay a price.

Very important to me was finding a liquor store with competent and enthousiastic people, helping you with listening first and then advising which way to go.
Some even have open bottles to let you sample, so you know what you're going to buy.

Have fun!

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby ceedeedoos » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:18 pm

I agree with Rudy on this one ... find yourself a good store ... doesn't have to be fancy and nice looking, as long as the people who work there don't mind listening to what you have to say, and if possible have something to say themselves ...

I have had some bad experiences with uninterested storeclerks ... I still visit those stores, just to see how the prices are compared to my favourite stores ... you never know you find something at a very low price ... but apart from that, I don't buy anything there Image

my favourite store actually is not bigger than my kitchen (the actual store that is), and looks quite messy, but in their storage room and even in the store itself, you can find some really nice bottlings at a good price, and the storekeepster is always happy to help you find your way in your very own malt trip Image
ceedeedoos

Postby r0b » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:33 pm

Hello mcalpin1,

I'm not sure what you mean by "three medium", but in any case here are some that I would suggest. I drink these regularly.

Springbank 10
(sweet, complex, toffee-ish, and)

Edradour
(quite sherried, but gorgeously balanced)

Glenrothes 1989
(the most recent one, also lots of sherry and very complex)

Talisker 10
(Quite peaty with black pepper, rounded with a long-lasting finish. Not quite as heft in terms of smokiness as Islay, but delicious all the same)

If you have tried your Laga 16 by now, you should be familiar with the peatmonsters. :] But I would also suggest any Ardbeg you can get your paws on. Perhaps the 10 year old is the best value purchase. Ardbeg is, IMHO, to die for. Unquestionably the best whisky from Islay.

These whiskies should all be readily available in any decent shop.

Have fun exploring the most wonderful of earthly delights! Image

/r0b

[This message has been edited by r0b (edited 16 April 2003).]
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby mcalpin1 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:41 pm

Thank you for the replies...

My current whisky stock is
Segrams 7
Weisers
Weisers Delux
Bushmill
Bushmill Black Bush
Bushmill 12 year from the distillery
Gibson Finest 12y
Glenfiddich 12y
Balvenie Doublewoods
Macallan 12y
Macallan Elegancia 1990
Lagavulin 16 year
Grams 100 proof
Tullamore Dew

This is why I would like to balance it out and have a nice inventory.

Just took a snip of Lagavulin 16 year.... wow.. what a peat smell but very smooth.

[This message has been edited by mcalpin1 (edited 16 April 2003).]

[This message has been edited by mcalpin1 (edited 16 April 2003).]
mcalpin1

Postby hpulley » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:57 pm

McAlpin, you must be Canadian. No one but a Canadian would have Gibson's Finest 12yo in their cupboard (let alone admit it!). I have some too, awful stuff, almost masked by coke or ginger ale -- not sure it is even good enough for unknowing guests. What province are you located? I'm in Ontario so I know the LCBO's stocklists fairly well.

If you want some good, and still inexpensive, Canadian whisky try Forty Creek Barrel Select. Made just down the road from here at a place that does wine and brandy too.

At present some absolute favorites would have to be Cadenhead Clynelish 12yo, Ardbeg 17yo, Ledaig 15yo, Rosebank (pretty much any Rosebank but '89 and '90 Murray & McDavid and Signatory have good bottlings I've tried), Chieftain's Choice Auchroisk 11yo port finish. For Irish Bushmills 16yo three wood is very good.

More standard bottlings that are also excellent are mostly already mentioned Talisker 10yo, Lagavulin 16yo, Ardbeg 10yo, The Dalmore 12yo, The Balvenie 12yo, Bruichladdich 10yo, Oban 14yo, Glenfarclas. Redbreast 12yo is a nice, affordable pot still irish.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby mcalpin1 » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:07 pm

In Seattle, but a Canadian born. Granfather alway wanted Weisers when we crossed the border and someone mentioned Gibsons which they felt was better than Crown R.

I forgot to add to my list Tullamore Dew
mcalpin1

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:53 am

Hi mcalpin & Harry - thought I'd join the party as a fellow Canuck - from Vancouver...

mcalpin - you did give yourself away with the mention of the Gibsons and the Seagrams...but without Potters thrown in I wasn't figuring West Coast.

I'll add my thoughts - fwiw. While I agree with many of the suggestions you've received thus far - I'd bet plenty of those are hard to find in Seattle (or Vancouver) - and some would command a hefty premium. Whenever possible I load up in Alberta, where prices are cheaper than I've experienced in most duty-free shops in the USA or the UK...so if you have the chance - head North-East with an empty suitcase and you won't be disappointed.

Aberlour A'bunadh - Cask Strength $70 Cdn. ($48 US) - I like to think of it as buying Scotch concentrate.

Ardbeg 10 $53 Cdn. ($37 US)non-chill filtered - WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Balvenie Doublewood - you already have it, and mentioned you liked the sherry influence. FYI - $40.50 Cdn. ($28 US) and great value.

Bowmore Darkest $67 Cdn. ($46 US)- Has the intensity of Islay - with a sherry softness.

Glenfarclas 15 $60 Cdn. ($41 US)

Highland Park 12 $37.50 Cdn ($26 US) a bargain and a necessity in any collection

Lagavulin 16 $53 Cdn. ($37 US) - or try the Double Matured - Pedro Ximinez finished Distiller's Edition - for $75 Cdn. ($52 US) - if you can find any - load up!!!

Longmorn 15 $42 Cdn. ($29 US) another hidden gem - no longer available in BC - but plenty in Alberta.

So - welcome to the everlasting learning curve - may it never end.

Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby mcalpin1 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:27 pm

Nice prices... no way will my state match those. Just yesterday Lagavulin 16 cost me $52. In Washington State, our liquor tax is very high. You can see our state inventory online and the tax they put on us. http://www.liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp
Go to the Select Brand Category: and select whisky scotch
mcalpin1

Postby ceedeedoos » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mcalpin1:
<B>Nice prices... no way will my state match those. Just yesterday Lagavulin 16 cost me $52. In Washington State, our liquor tax is very high. You can see our state inventory online and the tax they put on us. http://www.liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp
Go to the Select Brand Category: and select whisky scotch</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hell those prices are high ... long live europe Image
ceedeedoos

Postby mcalpin1 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:29 pm

Based on two forums, this is what mostly everone is suggesting. You can see a pattern of what people recommend.

Aberlour 10
Aberlour 10y
Aberlour A'bunadh - Cask Strength
Aberlour a'bunadh
Aberlour a'bunadh
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg 10 non-chill filtered
Ardbeg 10 y/o
Ardbeg 10yo,
Ardbeg 17
Ardbeg 17yo,
Auchentoshan 10 y.o.
Auchentoshan 10 y/o
Auchentoshan Three Wood
Balvenie 12
Balvenie 12yo,
Balvenie 15
Balvenie 15 y/o
Balvenie 21Y old Portwood
Balvenie Double Wood 12
Balvenie Doublewood
Balvenie doublewood
Benrinnes 17 (Cooper's Choice)
Bowmore 12 y/o
Bowmore 17-waiting to open my Bowmore 30
Bowmore Darkest
Bruichladdich
Bruichladdich 10yo,
Bruichladdich 15
Bruichladdich 15 (New) yet to try the 20 year
Bruichladdich 20 y.o.
Bushmills 16yo three wood
Cadenhead Clynelish 12yo,
Chieftain's Choice Auchroisk 11yo port finish.
Dalmore 12
Dalmore 12y
Dalmore 12yo,
Edradour
Forty Creek Barrel Select
Gelnmorangie 18
Glen Scotia 14
Glenfarclas
Glenfarclas 105
Glenfarclas 105 - superb for obviously a young malt
Glenfarclas 12
Glenfarclas 12y
Glenfarclas 15
Glenfarclas 17
Glenfiddich 21 y.o. Havana Reserve
Glenfiddich 21Y Havana Reserve
Glenlivet 12
Glenmorangie 10
Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish
Glenmorangie Sauternes Finish
Glenrothes
Glenrothes 1989
Highland Park 12
Highland Park 12
Highland Park 12 y/o - still to try the 18 y/o - over X-mas I expect!
Highland Park 12y
Highland Park 18
Highland Park 18 y.o.
Highland Park 18Y old
Lagavulin 12 y/o
Lagavulin 16
Lagavulin 16 Double Matured - Pedro Ximinez finished Distiller's Edition
Lagavulin 16yo,
Lagavulin 1986 16 y.o. Distillers Edition
Laphraoig 15
Laphroaig
Ledaig 15yo,
Linkwood 15y
Longmorn 15
Longrow 10 y.o.
MaCallan 12
MaCallan 12
MaCallan 18
MaCallan 25 y/o - to die for, if my memory serves me correctly
MaCallan Replica 1841
Oban 14yo,
Old Pulteney 12 y.o.
Redbreast 12yo
Royal Brackla 12 y/o - personal reasons, first malt I ever tried!
Springbank 10
Springbank 10 (46%)
Springbank 21- Can't find anymore
Talisker 10
Talisker 10 y/o
Talisker 10-great for the price
Talisker 10yo,

More info on this website http://www.single-malt.com/demo/RankedRatings.htm
mcalpin1

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:35 pm

Hey McAlpin1, great site.
Anyone else seen this site? They have some unusual ideas about whisky:
Laphroaig : Almost bottom of their list and described as good for contact lenses or water retention.
Lagavulin 16yo : Also near the bottom and described as Chloraseptic, good for soar throats, etc.
Dalmore : Also near the bottom and described simply as Nasty.
Tomatin 10yo : scores 94/100 and is nearly top of their list!
Ah, the upside down world of America. They should stick to Bud or Jack Daniels.
Ash

Postby Rudy » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:33 pm

Hello Ash,

just took a peek.
They stated somewhere that the list does not represent the taste of all of them.
Scrolled a bit through their forum to find out that they are buying a lot of bottles in the S200-S600 range. It seems they are drinking what others are collecting.

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby ssascott » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:20 pm

Since you stated that you learned while tasting in Ireland, I'll put ina plug for some Irish Whiskies.

Redbreast 12 yr
Connemara
Knappogue Castle 1992 (the website you gave shows a closeout price of $26.95 which is far less than the $35 or so I paid at Sam's in Chicago) Beware, however, that a few other tasters and myself preferred the 1992 much more than the 1993, which is all we can get now in Chicago.

Good Luck
ssascott

ARDBEG 1973 Connoisseurs Choice

Postby r0b » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:16 am

Royal mile sells this one at £87. Anyone tried it? It's one helluva nice price.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby LordDreyfus » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:15 am

Lagavulin 16 year old just cost me $66 in KY. Plus it took me forever to find it here.
LordDreyfus

Postby Rudy » Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:48 am

Hello rOb,

absolutely right, but I haven't tried it. BTW, RMW is the only shop I know of offering this bottling.

I just wonder why G&M have bottled their 1974, then 1975 and then the 1978 prior to this 1973.

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:37 am

Hi r0b/Rudy ,
I've got this one , when i first opened it i was very disappointed in it .It had the "ardbeg" nose for that period of whisky (the iodene smell that must come from their own malting at the time )but it was very weak and timid especially put Head to head with the now all but gone 30yo O.B. i've revisited several times over the past few weeks and its improved a hell of a lot but still not a great Ardbeg , don't get me wrong its a fantastic sipping whisky but not an all time great (nowhere near the 1974/20yo C.C.).
Regarding the release order if you check Martins site ( http://www.whisky-files.com/ ) you'll see that theydon't do them in Chronological order , which is a good thing as it makes it more interesting .
The 1978 is one of the worst Ardbegs i've tasted it was totally bland IMO .
What i would like to know is why don't G&M release ardbegs in the Caskstrength range so we can appreciate them in all their Glory ?
Slainté
Gordon

The Site - http://www.spirit-of-islay.co.uk
The Club - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spiritofislay
The Chatroom - http://www.spirit-of-islay.co.uk/chatntime/chatmain.html

[This message has been edited by Spirit of Islay (edited 18 April 2003).]
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:02 am

Gordon & MacPhail must work it out so they make more money selling more bottles at 40% than by selling less, though more expensive, bottles at a higher strength. It often makes me think twice about picking up a Gordon & MacPhail bottling but a recent CC Bladnoch pickup shows me that 40% can be good enough when the whisky is fine and hard to find elsewhere. A bottler of last resort, I suppose. Listening G&McP? Higher ABVs please!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby mcalpin1 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:13 pm

As you can tell from this thread, I live in Washington and I have provided a URL for my State liquor inventory. With this knowledge at hand, I am then able to compare it to another domain where I travel to all the time.

In California, the prices are cheaper and this one store in Upland has a domain. The run specials all the time and in discussions with the owner, one of there hottest selling scotch is Balvenie Doublewood $30. It was $28 a few weeks back. This company does provide mail orders.

California Store http://www.liquorama.net/subcat.asp?0=200
Washington State Control http://www.liq.wa.gov/services/brandsearch.asp

When this thread starts to die down, I will compare my state to this store to save a buck.

Maybe a thread should be created listing our best source URLs to procure single malts via mail order.
mcalpin1

Postby Rudy » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:47 pm

Hello Gordon,

just discovered your work on the Internet. Looks great and very interesting! I wonder though when I've read the 1278 messages overthere...

I would also encourage G&M to releae cask strength and unchill-filtering and no colouring etc. But haven't they started already? Under their trademark Speymalt they released Ardbeg under the Spirit of Scotland label. (and Port Ellen for the US? haven't seen any in Europe...) 58.4% is cask strength indeed! So, G&M, keep up the good work! You must have noticed overthere in Elgin that my friends and I have bought your bottles, haven't you? :-)

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby r0b » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:21 pm

Hey Gordon,

"The 1978 is one of the worst Ardbegs i've tasted it was totally bland IMO ." you wrote. Do you mean the OB? Because lately I've been at pains deciding which to spend £ 120 on: The 1978 OB or a Douglas Laing from 1972. I've been leaning towards the latter as many have said Ardbeg from that year is very good. The 1975 is as good as can be (of the ones I've had) and the 77 is nearly equal.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Apr 19, 2003 10:27 am

r0b, the 78 i refer to is the C.C. bottling ,the 1978 O.B. bottlings are great.
Rudy , regarding the choice £120 is a lot tho i have paid just under a £100 for a O.B.75 and 78 bottling .The DL 72 (i take it your talking OMC Here)isn't one of my top bottlings , tho other people do rave about them .I prefer the DL OMC 73's and 74's they seem to have the trademark Ardbeg taste i look for ,the new 74/28yo OMC is the nearest one i've had to the Provenance O.B. bottling at a faction of the cost .

Regarding the SOS bottlings they arn't available here in the UK ,i've only seen them on sale on mainland europe , where i must say they seem to get a better deal on Ardbeg releases i.e. the number of SOS 70's bottlings and the O.B. specials in the Black packaging .Perhaps they (G&M and the distillery )don't think we can handle it in the UK ?
Slainté
Gordon

The Site - http://www.spirit-of-islay.co.uk
The Club - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/spiritofislay
The Chatroom - http://www.spirit-of-islay.co.uk/chatntime/chatmain.html
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby WhiskyHill » Sat Apr 19, 2003 1:24 pm

Lord Dreyfus, If you happen to get into Bellvue, KY on occasion, look up my good friend Jay Erisman at the Party Source on Hwy. 8. They stock close to 100 different single malts, with new bottlings coming in all the time.

slainte,
TB
WhiskyHill

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder