Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Knowledgeable Whiskey connoisseur

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Knowledgeable Whiskey connoisseur

Postby mcalpin1 » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:34 am

As some of you have stated, it is a great advantage to meet someone who has knowledge to guide you in the flavors of whiskey. As I have discussed in the past, I was looking to expand my liquor cabinet with Single malts and you have provided me with your opinions. IN addition, you have mentioned about finding a store representative who can also educate you in the selection of Scotch (Single Malt).

I had the privilege of meeting such a man at our local liquor store who spent an hour with me on the education of Scotch. I was there so long, I was wondering if my wife at home was getting mad…lol.. In discussion with this fella, he recommended based on my current inventory, I needed a Lowland. Thus, I purchased a Auchentoshan.

I was educated even on the Cask strength of whiskeys….. hmm… I may need to get an eyedropper and distilled water if I can’t handle the strength. The cask he recommended was Aberlour - A'bunadh. What he really wants and cant seem to order in the states is Aberlour - A'bunadh Silver label. The only place I can find it is on this URL: . Due to all his support and guidance, I told him about this URL and now he is off on trying to see if a distributor can ship a case to the store. To bad we cant buy this in the States.

It's true, this forum and fellow Scotch connoisseurs, are your best source of knowledge.

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Apr 30, 2003 5:17 am

mcalpin - glad to hear you have such a resource. FYI - the Aberlour A'bunadh is available in Vancouver, BC (and surprisingly at the same price as typically found in our neighbour province: Alberta) - $70 Cdn. (approx. $48 US). It's only a three-hour drive from Seattle to Vancouver - less to say White Rock, where there's a chance they'll have at least one of the batches of Aberlour A'bunadh in stock.

I have several - Batch No's. 7, 8, & 9 - but have not seen the Silver Label. I would highly recommend loading up as much as you can of this gem - while you can - and good luck with the silver label. (In BC - our stores are all gov't run - limiting access to much of the outside world.)

Also - FYI - I picked up a few of the Auchentoshan Three Wood - and was pleasantly surprised. It's not available in BC - but can be found on sale in Alberta for approx. $55 Cdn. ($38 US).

Enjoy, Dave.

[This message has been edited by WestVanDave (edited 30 April 2003).]
Silver Member

Postby Rudy » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:03 am

Hello mcalpin1,

Great to hear you found yourself such a liquor store, and even in your neighborhood too!

Aberlour - A'bunadh has also been recommended to me, but I still have to open my bottle (too many bottles open Image )

I noticed batch 6 and 8 around here, but don't know the difference in taste.
I never heared of a silver edition until I followed your lead. I seems the silver label adds a little to the prize, but personally, I'm only interested in the liquid that's inside the bottle Image

Have fun and enjoy your Auchentoshan!

Bronze Member

Postby mcalpin1 » Thu May 01, 2003 12:10 am

To read more on the Aberlour - A'bunadh Silver label, I provided a link.

Now my brother lives in Blaine and Canada is his territory. He was just in Alberta, the other day lookin for Forty Creek, which you canucks recommended. Im a canadian also by birth.

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder