Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

WILD TURKEY RUSSELL'S RESERVE opinions

All your whisky related questions answered here.

WILD TURKEY RUSSELL'S RESERVE opinions

Postby Zeno Marx » Sat Apr 12, 2003 3:21 am

I've heard good things about this one. Can anyone offer a review please? Is it worth a shot at a $20 price tag?
Zeno Marx

Postby Gate » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:43 pm

The tasting notes on this very site (Dave Broom's in particular) are pretty accurate, IMO. Big, serious cigar bourbon. Not as good as the wonderful Rare Breed/1855 Reserve, but well worth 20 bucks of anybody's money.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Zeno Marx » Tue May 06, 2003 10:08 pm

The first 2-4 days after I opened this bottle, I was happy and enthusiastic about Russell's Reserve. It was a full-flavored bourbon full of saddle leather and dusty flavors. I could taste it for minutes afterwards as well. But after those first few days, it progressively breathed itself into a very mediocre, almost "cheap" tasting whisky. I was baffled by how much the flavor changed over the three weeks I drank through this bottle. I can't honestly recommend this to anyone. If it held the flavors, I'd recommend this for any lover of bourbon. Unfortunately, it didn't, and I can't.
Zeno Marx

Postby Gate » Wed May 07, 2003 1:02 pm

That's sad to hear. My own experience of RR involved a bottle which got polished off inside 10 days, so I couldn't really say too much about the effect of being opened on the contents: I don't recall any discernible loss or real change of flavour, though. Is it possible you had a bad seal?
Gate
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder