Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbank CV

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Springbank CV

Postby Gate » Thu May 08, 2003 3:38 pm

On a visit to my Edinburgh-based but teetotal (go figure) brother-in-law recently, I was offered a dram of the only whisky he had in the house, which was a half bottle of Springbank CV. And very nice it was too: I'd have been inclined to search out some more but for the fact that it probably fetches inflated "collector's" prices now. What it reminded me of most was a one-off bottling of a no-age-stated Springer which Oddbins sold maybe 8-10 years ago with a Ralph Steadman label and the title "Against the Grain", and which was lovely stuff - wish I'd bought loads more of it at the time. Does anyone out there know whether "Against the Grain" was a CV relabelled when Springbank decided to stop doing CV?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby lexkraai » Fri May 09, 2003 6:40 am

Hi Gate

I still have half a bottle of 'Against ...' a home, and quite nice it is indeed!

My understanding is that CV was a quite young Springer; I've seen 5-6 y.o. mentioned somewhere. 'Against ...' is a 10 y.o., with some quite old stuff vatted in. I've tasted CV once, at a colleague's house who had a range of Springers, so have not had the opportunity to compare it side-by-side with 'Against ...'. However, I must say I wasn't too impressed with the CV then; it did taste quite youngish (but my colleague also had 21 y.o. and 25 y.o. lined up!).

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Fri May 09, 2003 12:32 pm

I had read (not sure where - maybe Jim Murray) that the CV was a wide range of ages, with some very young right up to 30-year-old or so in it, to produce a "representative" Springer, which was why I wondered whether CV and "Against.." were the same. I did like the CV - but I may have been over-influenced by gratitude for there being any whisky at all! Oddbins do seem to have good parcels of malt from time to time. Their generic Lowland single of about five years ago was a cracker - Rosebank?
Gate
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder