Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan?

All your whisky related questions answered here.
Related whiskies : Ardbeg Corryvreckan

Re: Ardbeg Corryvreckan?

Postby jockonarock » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:17 pm

Hi, just been on the Ardbeg Website, Corryvreckan is a new committee bottling, priced at £45 a bottle plus £7.50 insured p+p, limited to one bottle per person, with a limited release of 5000, needless to say i have just placed my order, cant wait. :D
jockonarock

Postby shoganai » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:24 am

To those who've received their bottles already...HOW IS IT????
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:29 am

Can somebody convince me to order one. Feels kinda expensive...
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:43 am

Ras Mazunga wrote:Can somebody convince me to order one. Feels kinda expensive...

Seems only slightly more expensive than the Oogie, and is a slightly higher ABV. Yes an age statement would be nice, but I think this one is worth taking your chances on.

Which would you regret more: buying it and ending up with an "average" Ardbeg (which is still a great whisky!) or not buying it and missing out on a great Ardbeg (which would be a superb whisky!)?
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby lohssanami » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:10 am

I found this while googling Corryvreckan.

Sea Kayaking Blog to Corryvreckan

Interesting read, though the only thing it has to do with this thread is the name.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby recordmeister » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:07 am

enzot wrote:Can anyone tell me if this is the Committee bottling of the soon to be released Ardbeg Renaissance 10 Y.O or is it a totally different bottling ?

Cheers
Enzo...

Note: the Renaissance is NOT a 10 Y.O., it is a NAS and tastes much younger than a 10.

http://www.caskstrength.net
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:30 pm

recordmeister wrote:
Note: the Renaissance is NOT a 10 Y.O., it is a NAS and tastes much younger than a 10.

It may (as yet ) not be marked up as a 10yo but Distilled in 1998 , Bottled in 2008 could technically make it a 10yo.....
It tastes very much like a 10yo imo !

Ras Mazunga wrote:Can somebody convince me to order one. Feels kinda expensive...

Naw don't order one if it feels kinda expensive , leave it for some one who wants one from the bottom of their heart and will appreciate it till it's last drop..... :D
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:17 pm

I just ordered 2 bottles Ardbeg Corryvreckan
GBP 90.- Postage GBP 19,38 { € 150,-(incl)}

W'll just have to wait and see. But as (almost) always with ARDBEG, I think it's worth
the deal :P

You will certainly hear :)
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Hi I_SPEY ,
Is that on one order , with one members number ?
If so , others have tried that and got an e-mail back saying they are just getting the one , they are screening orders AFAIK to keep it 1 bottle per member , which is right for the bottles to members ratio .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:55 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:Hi I_SPEY ,
If so , others have tried that and got an e-mail back saying they are just getting the one , they are screening orders AFAIK to keep it 1 bottle per member , which is right for the bottles to members ratio .

Yes, Spirit of Islay, it's on one order with one members number. And I can imagine your point of view.
One is for me, the other for a friend near Amsterdam.
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:39 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:
recordmeister wrote:

It may (as yet ) not be marked up as a 10yo but Distilled in 1998 , Bottled in 2008 could technically make it a 10yo.....
It tastes very much like a 10yo imo !

It would be illogical that the Renaissance would be anything other than a 10 year old as it is the last in the Very Young (6/7yo), Still Young (8 yo) and Almost There (9yo) series of bottlings.

Is there any more info regarding the Corryvreckan? I know its a mixture of casks, I presume thats a mixture of ages. What types of casks has it been matured in?
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:29 pm

I_SPEY wrote:

Yes, Spirit of Islay, it's on one order with one members number. And I can imagine your point of view.

The offer was very clear that there was a limit of one bottle per member. Just curious to know why you thought you didn't need to observe this rule...
Deactivated Member

Postby r900p » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:42 pm

I ordreed two also one for me and one for my father, have no email yet biut will be ringing the distillery in the morning, with my fathers info and numbers as well as, mine.

I didn't read the description when i irdered so didn't see the limit, i got the booklet yesterday but that was after i had placed my order.

Bugger bugger bugger :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:39 am

shoganai wrote:Seems only slightly more expensive than the Oogie, and is a slightly higher ABV. Yes an age statement would be nice, but I think this one is worth taking your chances on.

Which would you regret more: buying it and ending up with an "average" Ardbeg (which is still a great whisky!) or not buying it and missing out on a great Ardbeg (which would be a superb whisky!)?

Just ordered one.
Convincing keywords: regret, great whisky, missing out, superb whisky. :wink:
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:55 am

Nick Brown wrote:
I_SPEY wrote:

The offer was very clear that there was a limit of one bottle per member. Just curious to know why you thought you didn't need to observe this rule...

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:00 am

:thumbsup:
r900p wrote:I ordreed two also one for me and one for my father, have no email yet biut will be ringing the distillery in the morning, with my fathers info and numbers as well as, mine.

I didn't read the description when i irdered so didn't see the limit, i got the booklet yesterday but that was after i had placed my order.

Bugger bugger bugger :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Rob

Rob, sounds like you'll be fine. The worst case scenario is that you'll only get one bottle (can't imagine why) and you'll have to share a lot of drams with your Dad! Probably not the worst thing, eh? :thumbsup:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:19 am

Ras Mazunga wrote:Just ordered one.
Convincing keywords: regret, great whisky, missing out, superb whisky. :wink:

That's the spirit!!! (pun intended)
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:28 am

Sherried Malt wrote: The worst case scenario is that you'll only get one bottle (can't imagine why) ..........

"From Ardbeg Old Kiln Shop - are you ready to surrender to the Untamed Spirit of Islay? Limited to one bottle per person ........"
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:26 am

Nick Brown wrote:
I_SPEY wrote:

One is for me, the other for a friend near Amsterdam
I think, I don't have to defend myself, Nick Brown, for buying a bottle for a friend, who is unable to buy a special bottle of Ardbeg, because he cannot. I thought I did not have to explain this to you, but I think it's better this way.
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby I_SPEY » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:28 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:
Sherried Malt wrote: The worst case scenario is that you'll only get one bottle (can't imagine why) ..........

"From Ardbeg Old Kiln Shop - are you ready to surrender to the Untamed Spirit of Islay? Limited to one bottle per person ........"

Please see my post before this one!
I_SPEY
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:28 am

I_SPEY wrote:One is for me, the other for a friend near Amsterdam
I think, I don't have to defend myself, Nick Brown, for buying a bottle for a friend, who is unable to buy a special bottle of Ardbeg, because he cannot. I thought I did not have to explain this to you, but I think it's better this way.

Oh right. And on my order, one is for me and twenty are for my friends on ebay who wouldn't be able to get bottles without me.

Come off it, I_Spey. You are trying to cheat. The offer is very clear that it is one bottle per person and you have simply decided that this rule doesn't apply to you - hang everyone else, you'll look after number 1. Don't you think we'd all be buying two if we could?
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:32 am

Nick Brown wrote: Don't you think we'd all be buying two if we could?

I would if I could. But suffice to say one only for me. :(
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:24 am

I_SPEY wrote:One is for me, the other for a friend near Amsterdam

I think the main point is being lost here...
This is a committee bottling for committee members !
My guess is there are 50,000 members , not a lot of bottles per member !
So is your friend a member ? If yes he should order his own , if no end of arguement !!!
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:39 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:

Very true, but unless I misread Rob's post, his father appears to be a member ("my fathers info and numbers as well as, mine') too. Am I mistaken?

If so, chalk it up to "two peoples separated by a common language"... :P
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Newbie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:48 am

I think most of the problems are due to the fact that the 'limit of one per person' is quite difficult to spot without reading the whole description. It should have been clearly highlighted and the ordering software doesn't prevent you from putting two in your basket.

I almost made the mistake that r900p and I Spey made by ordering two! In my excitement of seeing a new Ardbeg I almost placed an order without reading the description properly!

Can't really blame people for wanting more than one, I am sure everyone wants a couple! But it doesn't really matter though since you'll only get one from Ardbeg anyway!
Gold Member

Postby Ras Mazunga » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:59 am

I start to wonder when this bottle is going to be sold out. It might take longer than many of you think. Don't forget that shipping to some countries is not possible. Ardbeg could ship 1000 bottles or so to the US themselves and send it out from there, that would be a lot nicer for the members.
Another withdraw is the price, normally I don't pay 13 pounds to send one bottle!
It shouldn't be difficult to register another member and use another card to order more than just one.
Ras Mazunga
Gold Member

Postby recordmeister » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:20 pm

Ardbeg told me that they expect to sell out by Tuesday (tomorrow). I'm looking forward to tasting it at the Managers Tasting during Feis Ile!

I'll save my bottle until after FI, me thinks! :wink:

http://www.caskstrength.net
recordmeister
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:29 pm

Just phoned up Ardbeg Distillery and purchased a bottle at the end of the call. The lady spoke to confirmed that this expression will NOT be going on general release.
Deactivated Member

Postby Single Malt Kommunist » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:41 pm

To end the bickering, ISpey, I hereby bequeath you my potential bottle.

After receiving the marketing letting in the mail (which by the way was impressive), I decided to let someone else foot the bill for the fake hair, et.al.

Cheers,
SMK
Single Malt Kommunist
Bronze Member

Postby Newbie » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:43 pm

eelbrook wrote:Just phoned up Ardbeg Distillery and purchased a bottle at the end of the call. The lady spoke to confirmed that this expression will NOT be going on general release.

Thats both good and bad!

Good as in, it really is limited to 5000 bottles. They won't do another release as has been suggested!

Bad as in, if I really like it I can't get more! Was thinking about opening it as soon as I get a sample bottle to save some in! I'd better get hunting!
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:02 pm

Single Malt Kommunist wrote:To end the bickering, ISpey, I hereby bequeath you my potential bottle.

After receiving the marketing letting in the mail (which by the way was impressive), I decided to let someone else foot the bill for the fake hair, et.al.

Cheers,
SMK

Why would you reward cheating. Why not offer your potential bottle to someone (like me or SoI or Les Taylor) who is playing by the rules. Or why not leave your potential bottle to one of the other Committee members who would like one - the way it was intended. Why should I_Spey get two?
Deactivated Member

Postby Maakun » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:25 pm

Nick Brown wrote:Why should I_Spey get two?

Why should you? Seems kinda funny calling someone out on trying to get two bottles and then asking for a 2nd one yourself...
Maakun

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:35 pm

looking forward to my bottle ... shmae it takes nearly a month to get here though!
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby adogranonthepitch » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:50 pm

Its the thrill of the chase that interests me on this.

It would be easy to register many times and get various bottles sent to friends and relations... I know someone who will collecting at least 4 or 5 bottles.

Not me though ... why ... well its the thrill of the chase ... thats way too easy ... the hunting ... I like to cast my line and hunt the fishy ...... not sit there shooting fish in a barrell!

This opinion might not sit right with some ... so be it.
adogranonthepitch
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:57 pm

adogranonthepitch wrote:Its the thrill of the chase that interests me on this.

It would be easy to register many times and get various bottles sent to friends and relations... I know someone who will collecting at least 4 or 5 bottles.

Not me though ... why ... well its the thrill of the chase ... thats way too easy ... the hunting ... I like to cast my line and hunt the fishy ...... not sit there shooting fish in a barrell!

This opinion might not sit right with some ... so be it.

Chris why don't you use your connections as European Sales Director of Dyson. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Ardbeg Corryvreckan

PreviousNext

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder