Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Kentucky Walker Fine Whiskey?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Kentucky Walker Fine Whiskey?

Postby cedarwood » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:05 am

I came across this brand in China, called "Kentucky Walker Fine Whiskey" with a deer head on its label, which claims to be imported from USA. Is this brand legit? I keep looking at its website, and I can't help but to feel it's some low-end (or even fake) whiskey that is trying to trick people here in China...

Does anyone know of this brand? Thanks for replying in advance!

Its website: http://www.kentuckywalker.com/index.asp ... ndex&ln=en

cedarwood

Re: Kentucky Walker Fine Whiskey?

Postby Laphroaig » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:09 pm

A quote comes to mind...

"Run, Forrest, Run!!"
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby cedarwood » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:23 pm

Laphroaig wrote:A quote comes to mind...

"Run, Forrest, Run!!"

why? is it that bad?

what is the retail price of it in the US?
cedarwood

Postby bamber » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:04 pm

No real idea but it's 40%, it's probably young ~4yo and you can bet it is Heaven Hill (not that that is a bad thing).

It's going to be rather average, but if it is cheap why not give it a go.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby cedarwood » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:27 am

bamber wrote:No real idea but it's 40%, it's probably young ~4yo and you can bet it is Heaven Hill (not that that is a bad thing).

It's going to be rather average, but if it is cheap why not give it a go.

i'm just afraid that it might be one of those scary stuff that's made out of industrial alcohol and chemicals and what not... which can blind you when you drink it (if not killing you)...

and the thing is, my friend who is running a bar here in china is approached by this importer with this particular whiskey, and he has not heard of this whiskey either...
cedarwood

Postby bamber » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:58 am

There are just so many mystery bottles of bourbon like this. I picked one up in a French supermarket that I'd never heard of and it was pretty good.

You could email Heaven Hill and ask them if they make it, I suppose.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Eric m » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:41 pm

In the EC you know what you get if you buy whisky,but in Asia(mainly China,Thailand&India)they often name a spirit distilled out of molasse also whisky.Also the term "imported" is dodgy,perhaps there is only a drop of real USwhisky in the bottle.If distilled by a genuine company the chance of getting blind is minor.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby cindi50 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:07 pm

my husband loves this whiskey. up until a month ago i could buy it at Smart and Final stores. They dont carry it right now because they are having a dispute with the supplier. if anyone knows anywhere else to purchase this whiskey i would love to know.
cindi50

Postby mustercutter » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:32 am

Kentucky Walker isn't Maker's Mark, but it isn't gasoline either. It is a common bourbon in my part of California. I, too, buy it from time to time at Smart and Final which still stocks it here. Hopefully the dispute in your area will be solved soon. It is priced alongside Kessler and Early Times but does not have that beastly sulphur aftertaste you get with those two well brands. Not a bad grog for the price, and great for when your no good brother in law stops by for the free booze. Put it in a Jim Beam bottle and he'll never know the difference.
mustercutter

Postby TheJimbo2210 » Wed May 01, 2013 9:09 pm

Yes, I stumbled across it in Bardstown, KY at a liquor store and was pleasantly surprised.

I have turned several of my friends on to it as well..

The story I got was that a Chinese Company bought the distillery in Bardstown and is exporting it to China (im also guessing Europe as well).

But not in the U.S. Except for Bardstown, KY.

The price is great at $9.95 per bottle U.S.

Good Stuff!!! :thumbsup:
TheJimbo2210

Postby ChaseLane » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:26 am

As far as I know, HH is still owned by the USA. They use several names to sell their products, and if you know them you can get a "name" bottle of KY Bourbon for 60% of the name.

Been to HH several times, which is where my father had a lot of ties. Knew one of the founders and met at least one other when I was younger.

When my brother drives down to KY he picks up the Heaven Hill label of Heaven Hill, as it seems to be premium compared to their other premiums.

Their website pretty well indicates they are all over the world, so I would not doubt the OP's bottle came from HH. It's probably one of the last true family distilleries since Medley Brothers was bought out.

To me, they are what Hawkeye (MASH) would say, "Finest Kind". Took my wife to Bardstown for our honeymoon, btw. Peed her off. I enjoyed it.
ChaseLane

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder