Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

islay whisky club

All your whisky related questions answered here.

islay whisky club

Postby Eric m » Sun May 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Hello i`m trying to find out if there are members from the Islay whiskyclub are active on this forum.

Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Re: islay whisky club

Postby r900p » Sun May 18, 2008 11:04 pm

Just had a quick peak at the website, tried to drop them an email but something about the wrong configuration by the web host won't allow emails to be sent.

Anyone got any info, costs, how to join etc.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun May 18, 2008 11:55 pm

is it still going ? :o
never heard mention of it for years.....
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon May 19, 2008 12:11 am

Last I heard the guy who owns it now lives in Spain. He had offered to sell it to the folk at the Ballygrant, but they weren't interested. As far a I can see they still get the majority of the tourist accomodation business that the club generates anyway. I couldn't get a clear idea as to what membership of the club provides by way of benefits, but it didn't seem to be much, if anything.

On the, admittedly sketchy, info I got it is probably best avoided, but no doubt someone has better info than I do.

Cheers
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Eric m » Mon May 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Last I heard the guy who owns it now lives in Spain. He had offered to sell it to the folk at the Ballygrant, but they weren't interested. As far a I can see they still get the majority of the tourist accomodation business that the club generates anyway. I couldn't get a clear idea as to what membership of the club provides by way of benefits, but it didn't seem to be much, if anything.

On the, admittedly sketchy, info I got it is probably best avoided, but no doubt someone has better info than I do.

Cheers

That`s all i can find too,David Graham from the Ballygrant Inn is/was the vice-prsident,Bob Velthuysen the president and Linda van Weenen the secretary,but does this club still excist and if so what are the benefits indeed.Or was it a set up from these three guys to empty peoples pockets?I can`t find any new links or ways to contact them and a club all about Islaywhiskies (and perhaps benefits) seemed a nice thing to be a member from.
Eric.
Eric m
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon May 19, 2008 6:44 pm

Eric m wrote:.........but does this club still excist and if so what are the benefits indeed.Or was it a set up from these three guys to empty peoples pockets?

Careful what you say Eric , these guys have been known to hit people with solicitors letters for less , just ask a former owner of The Lochside pub , all because he put a disclaimer on his website distancing himself from them !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon May 19, 2008 11:59 pm

No avoid at all costs by the sounds of things, these chaps do sound like rip of merchants.

I tried emailing them but something about the service provider meant i couldn't, perhaps they didn't pay them as they weren't getting fees in!

Must have been one hell of a disclaimer to involve solicitors.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby qord » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:52 pm

Eric m wrote:Hello i`m trying to find out if there are members from the Islay whiskyclub are active on this forum.

I joined the club in 2003 because I liked the club tartan (I was looking for a kilt back then) and didn't expect much else from the membership. I got the welcome package (shirt, coaster) and communication with Linda van Weenen for buying the kilt was quick and friendly - so no complaints there.

In 2007 I received a club-email stating that Linda was in bad health and therefore Bob and Linda couldn't continue with running the club and were seeking new people to run the club.

When I next checked the web site this year, it apparently had gone in the hands of domain grabbers, so for all I know, the club is no more. From my point of view, it wasn't a rip-off in 2003, but for people who paid their "lifetime membership" fee in 2006/07 this might look different...

-cord
qord

Postby dunnethead » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:07 pm

Take care
dunnethead

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder