Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Single Malts at Schipol Airport?

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Single Malts at Schipol Airport?

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:18 pm

A kind soul have offered to purchase a whisky for me at Schipol soon and I information about available single malts is sparse. Does anyone know if there are any special stuff worth purchasing? Also, it would be great if someone could let me know if they sell Glenfarclas 15/21/25?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Single Malts at Schipol Airport?

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:06 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:A kind soul have offered to purchase a whisky for me at Schipol soon and I information about available single malts is sparse. Does anyone know if there are any special stuff worth purchasing? Also, it would be great if someone could let me know if they sell Glenfarclas 15/21/25?

Was through there 2 months ago and I did not pay specific attention but even though not a massive selection there is a fairly decent selection of the usualy fare.

They have the likes of Talisker, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Highland PArk & Glenlivet that I know of plus many more ...

However if your friend is in Amsterdam for a while it maybe worth getting them to go to Ton Overmars.

You can actually contact them and they might reply to your question directly.

http://www.schiphol.com/Shopping/PleaseContact/PleaseContact.htm
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:13 pm

That's great IWC - thanks! I'll contact them asap :)
Mr Fjeld

Postby OKDiver1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Mr. Fjeld,
I was at Schiphol in early January and visited one of the duty-free shops. It was just after Christmas, and I was relatively disappointed with the available selection (it is usually much better). I bought a Strathisla 12 and an Ardbeg 10. I do not remember seeing any Glenfarclas, but I may be wrong. What I do remember seeing was a lot of Macallans -- at least 7 or 8 expressions, a few Laphroaigs, Scapa 14 (they had a sale on it), a couple of HPs and Glenmo's, Tali 10, but no Lagavulin (which is what I was looking for). I also thought that prices had gone up considerably since the year before.

I remember there is a liquor store in the non-duty free area (plaza), and they do have quite a selection of malts and other alcohols. Unfortunately, prices were extremely high and I did not spend too much time there.
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:54 pm

I go through Amsterdam frequently, though it's been awhile now since the last time, anyway, their duty free shop is standard, but they do have a specific whisky shop that was quite good, some specialty things, but that was almost a few years back now that I think of it. If possible, ask your friend to send an sms when they're there so you can give them a call and hear first hand what the selection is!
Di Blasi

Postby LeoDLion » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:58 pm

At least they sell them in 1 liter instead of 700 ml.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:24 pm

Thanks guys, I'll check it out :)
Mr Fjeld

Postby WhiskyViking » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Passed through the airport last summer. As Di Blasi says there's a Whisky & Cigars shop close to the "main square" that has a decent selection. Nothing special, the same Travel Retail Exclusives you find at other airports and a couple of IB's. Nice enough prices if you can get it at Tax-Free prices, but as your friend will be travelling to the UK (am I correct?) it's the steep Duty Paid-prices he has to fork out - and mostly it would be cheaper to purchase the bottles in Britain, heck I even found stuff that was cheaper in Norway.

Is your friend traveling from Schipol or just passing through from another point of departure? Maybe the starting airport has a better/cheaper selection?
WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:19 pm

WhiskyViking wrote: I even found stuff that was cheaper in Norway.

Is your friend traveling from Schipol or just passing through from another point of departure? Maybe the starting airport has a better/cheaper selection?

Hi Whiskyviking, he'll be returning back to Norway......are there better deals to be found at the Norwegian/Flesland taxfree shop?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:37 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
WhiskyViking wrote: I even found stuff that was cheaper in Norway.

Hi Whiskyviking, he'll be returning back to Norway......are there better deals to be found at the Norwegian/Flesland taxfree shop?

The Bergen duty free isn't bad at all actually, quite a selection and reasonable too!
Di Blasi

Postby WhiskyViking » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:49 pm

Just browsed the [url=http://duty-free.no/kunder/trn/trncms.nsf/pages/alkoholprod.html?open&prod_kategori=alkohol\brennevin\malt%20whisky%20scotch&kat=alkohol|brennevin|malt%20whisky%20scotch&disp_key=&prod_start=20]Norwegian Duty-Free webpage[/url] and found a couple of things I would have considered:
* Aberfeldy 12yo (very nice, too bad it's bottled at a mere 40%)
* Glengoyne Burnfoot
* Highland Park 16yo
* Smokehead Extra Rare
and of course one I seldom am without:
* Macallan 10yo Cask Strength
WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Ask your friend to keep his eyes open for the Highland Park 21y and Glenrothes 25y, both exclusive to duty free, and supposed to be excellent!!
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:04 pm

Thanks for the info DB & WV, I had no idea they had such a relative vast selection :o
This must be quite new right - or did I miss it last year when I came back from Prague? I noticed the Glenlivet Archive 21 by the way - have you guys tried it?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:20 pm

I tried it a few years back and I don't remember much other then yes, it was good!
Di Blasi

Postby WhiskyViking » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:25 pm

I only know the shop from the webpage, it's been a couple of years since I flew abroad from Bergen (think they've rebuilt since then).

I have the Glenlivet Archive 21, and it's a very, very nice Glenlivet. But the reason I didn't mention it is that it's a shitty deal at airports - in Sweden (where i bought it) it costs 795 SEK (675NOK / £66) - RMW sells it for £71. I first saw it at Schipol, they wanted mkore than €100 for it - luckily I remembered the Swedish price.
WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Postby WhiskyViking » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:37 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Ask your friend to keep his eyes open for the Highland Park 21y and Glenrothes 25y, both exclusive to duty free, and supposed to be excellent!!

Found a couple on smudges of info on these (only in Norwegian though):
* Glenrothes 25yo - approx £170
* Highland Park 21yo - approx €79 (£62 at World of Whiskies)
WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Postby mongo » Tue May 04, 2010 4:59 pm

has anyone purchased malts at schiphol duty-free recently? my parents will be passing through amsterdam next month en route to the u.s and i'm wondering if it will be worth asking them to get me anything. is the laphroaig triple wood available there?
mongo

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 07, 2010 5:46 am

I can only think of one reason to go to Amsterdam..... ok two!
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat May 08, 2010 10:03 pm

I expect they'll have the newly release vintages from Highland Park, 1973, 1994 and 1998. Tell them to get you the 1973! Schipol has the small whisky and cigar shop just close to the big duty free shop, some good stuff there. I'll be passing through in a week and the Thursday after that!
Di Blasi

Postby Duffer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:55 am

Strange - I cant find anything on the homepage...
Looking for Highland Park 21-yo at 47.5% (new release)
Duffer

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder