Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cenferfold Posters

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Do we push the malt forward, and the vatting backward??

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 23, 2002 8:12 pm

Hi all,

As we all could read in the WM, David Broome made a nice article about vatting.
I personally can say that David had some points there(mainly explaned by the experts). A vatting is a product with an own identity, and it's just the question do we like it or not? Sometimes a vatting can be very handy, especially when you look for something with a certain complexity, although there are some malts who are very complex too. I usually drink a vatting, when I can't make choice out of my malt collection. I think it's unfair to push only the malts forward while we have some nice vattings, waiting to be enjoyed, and even in grain whiskies are nice vattings too. But sometimes we thing that by vatting the whole identity disappeared towards a single malt, maybe it does, or maybe it doesn't, it still depends how you look against it. Like they said in WM, "sometimes you look for specific flavors in a vatting, that a single malt doesn't have", and what's wrong with that???

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Gate » Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:30 pm

I totally agree. I love single malts for the variety from one malt to the next (a Caol Ila is utterly unlike a Glengoyne which is nothing like a Springbank which is completely different from a Bladnoch, etc.). But if they didn't taste good, I wouldn't be interested in any of them. And IMO, if a vatted malt tastes good, then it's a good whisky (all the better if it hasn't been coloured or chillfiltered, of course). And it surely is true that a good vatting makes something new, not just the sum of its parts: the Famous Grouse Vintage Malt is one such, as is the Cadenheads 9-year-old Islay.
Gate
Silver Member

Cenferfold Posters

Postby St.Peat » Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:12 am

Now that we have seen a cask offer fixed insert in WM25 we know that a pull out poster would fit too.

Anyone want to get a new pull-out poster in each issue of WM?

Cheers!

(TOPIC should read 'Centerfold Posters'.)

[This message has been edited by St.Peat (edited 13 September 2002).]
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:25 pm

Bare naked whisky with no caramel! The paps of Jura! Seriously, though, there have been some fantastic pictures of distilleries and surroundings in Whisky Magazine, which would make fine posters.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby St.Peat » Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:26 pm

Right, you are, Gate!

WM25, page 49, bottom right photo taken by John Lamond inside the St Andrews bar ... now, there is a pretty shot. Great light, and great atmosphere. I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see such nice shots taken by the authors in the field. Congratulations Marcin, and team, for publishing their photos and not always relying on stock supply. Image

Cheers!
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Sun Sep 15, 2002 2:01 pm

On a slightly different tack (and at the risk of sounding like a total anorak), I would really enjoy a poster of selected stills, all reproduced to the same scale so you could really see the difference side-by-side between the Edradour stills, say, and those from Springbank, Macallan, Glenmorangie, wherever. A bit like those posters of dinosaurs from the Natural History Museum, really. Springbankosaurus Rex? Lochdhuus horribilis?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby lexkraai » Tue Sep 17, 2002 11:46 am

Hi Gate

Such a poster already exists; Horst and Thea Luening (http://www.thewhiskystore.de) sell it.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:15 pm

Brilliant! Thanks, Lex.
Gate
Silver Member

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder