Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Question Concerning the Whisky Exchange

All your whisky related questions answered here.

Question Concerning the Whisky Exchange

Postby MacLlyr » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:43 pm

For all of you in the U.S. who have ordered from the Whisky Exchange: I noticed that the Exchange ships to the U.S. Have any of you out there ordered from them? If so did you have any problems or was it a good experience? Are there any problems with customs ect.? The reason I ask is that I am about to place an order and I want to make sure that the package gets to me in a safe and timely manner...I know that the shipping cost are a bit high, but I am willing to pay if it will actually get to me.
MacLlyr

Re: Question Concerning the Whisky Exchange

Postby Gilles Deleuze » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:14 pm

I've recently bought a bottle from them, and it arrived in pristine condition, packed very safely, in just four days. :D
I think their selection is great, compared with my options here (bear in mind that Binny's can't ship to me), and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Yes, their shipping costs are a bit higher than, say, Royal Mile. Buying multiple bottles from them seems to make the shipping cost more "worth it," and in the future I may purchase multiple bottles when I buy with them in order to justify the shipping.
So, I'd say, proceed without fear! :iwbrnt:
Gilles Deleuze
Bronze Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:59 pm

MacLlyr wrote:For all of you in the U.S. who have ordered from the Whisky Exchange: I noticed that the Exchange ships to the U.S. Have any of you out there ordered from them? If so did you have any problems or was it a good experience? Are there any problems with customs ect.? The reason I ask is that I am about to place an order and I want to make sure that the package gets to me in a safe and timely manner…I know that the shipping cost are a bit high, but I am willing to pay if it will actually get to me.

I've ordered from them many many times and they've always shown up in perfect shape. Fast service too. Couldn't be happier with them.

And as you probably already know, buying several bottles will defray that initial cost...

Go for it!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby lincoln imp » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:36 pm

I am interested how they manage this as i know that the United States Postal Service will not deliver any alcohol that has come through customs. Are they using a courier or similar? :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby hilliamash » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:37 am

I have nothing but positive to say about them. Fantastic guys!
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby borgom » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:19 am

I've only ordered glassware from them but it was well packed and delivered very quickly.
A few oz merchants could learn from them.
I'll definitely order some whisky from them in the future.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby hilliamash » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:37 am

The USPS codes have not been updated since Prohibition.
They use a courier service, but do not remember which one.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Gilles Deleuze » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:51 am

hilliamash wrote:The USPS codes have not been updated since Prohibition.
They use a courier service, but do not remember which one.

It's called Parcelforce...Royal Mile uses it as well.

Usually leaves the shop and gets to NY in about 48-72 hours, and then converts to the USPS and gets delivered the next day.

They have this stuff down to a science.
Their one flaw is that they aren't located in Durham, North Carolina. :evil: :D
Gilles Deleuze
Bronze Member

Postby MacLlyr » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:03 am

Thanks guys, you have put my mind at ease. I will be placing an order very soon!
MacLlyr

Postby Scottie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:35 am

lincoln imp is correct.
US Customs in some states (Texas for one?) will confiscate alcohol. Perhaps WE is marking packages some other way, eg. Collectors Malt, glassware etc.
Scottie

Postby lincoln imp » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:26 pm

Scottie wrote:lincoln imp is correct.
US Customs in some states (Texas for one?) will confiscate alcohol. Perhaps WE is marking packages some other way, eg. Collectors Malt, glassware etc.

They must be as i recently spoke to USPS and they said that in no way do they accept alcohol. Maybe WE mark it up as glass container or similar to get roung it. :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Postby MacLlyr » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:30 pm

Well this thread is kind of old, and I am just now getting around to placing an order 5 months latter. I ran into a bit of a dilemma though…

I was about to place an order with The Whisky Exchange, and when I spoke to them on the phone they told me that there may be other taxes added at my end if it gets caught up in customs. The lady I spoke with told me that sometimes things slip though, sometimes they do not. For those of you who have used the exchange in shipments to the US, have any of you had to pay the import duty? If so what rate was it at? As well does customs hold your item until you pay, or does the government just bill you? Any information on this is greatly appreciated as I am placing a pretty substantial order and don’t know if I need to set aside some extra money to cover the duty.
Is it safer to order many smaller value packages over one large amount as far as customs radar goes?
MacLlyr

Postby Jobi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:12 am

I've had a few orders delivered to New York, usually one or two bottles, and they have never been caught up in customs.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby S_tan_De_mon » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:35 am

Hello MacLlyr:

TWE has been shipping via the internet for about 10 yrs now. For a stretch around 2002-2003 IIRC when they used TNT, they (TNT) would send out a bill for duty charges. After TWE changed shippers, very few, if any people I know of who order from them have been charged duties since. Probably has to do with a change of "classification" of the goods. So far, USPS has been a reliable delivery agent for them. If possible, I would also recommend having your order shipped to a business address to which you have access. This seems to avert any undue scrutiny of the package, as it must be business related... eh? 8) Six or twelve packs go through equally easy; they are insured by the shipper (which, of course, you pay for). They are a great company to deal with.

Slainte!

S'tan
S_tan_De_mon
Silver Member

Postby anjana101 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:15 pm

I agree with S' tan. I had a order recently and I had it shipped to a business address. They shipped on Saturday and I recieved it on Wednesday. I live in NY, so it took only 4 days. :D

Andrew
anjana101

Postby MacLlyr » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:58 am

Thanks for the feedback. One more question though. Would it be the amount of bottles or the value of the package that would most alert authorities? The reason I ask is that I am only ordering one bottle; it's just really expensive, too expensive to loose my money on.
MacLlyr

Postby mongo » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:26 pm

any recent experiences with shipping to the u.s, positive or negative? i'm weighing a purchase of four bottles (total price with shipping is about $300) and would love to be reassured or warned off before i do so.
mongo

Postby beehappy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:48 pm

I have the same question. I want to get a bottle shipped to Boston from the Whisky Exchange and they warn that there might be other "duties and fees" at customs. I am not too familiar with USA duties and fees (I live in Canada but shipping the bottle to my brother in Boston) and was wondering if anyone knows what they are and what are the chances of me having to pay them?

Thanks!
beehappy

Postby zl725 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:03 am

I'm from Australia, so I don't know how much help this would be (although I think we get taxed a lot more than USA/Canada in the alcohol department), but I've had 2 transactions with TWE this year and both parcels slipped through customs without being slapped tax/duty upon delivery.
On both occasions, I opted for 4 bottles so that the cheaper delivery fee per bottle would justify the purchases and the parcel size would arouse less suspicion. In terms of possible tax/duty that one might pay in Australia, it equates to the following (in $AUD)

700ml bottle of whiskey at 46% alcohol
$40 bottle = $34.2 in tax
$50 bottle = $35.7 in tax
$60 bottle = $37.2 in tax
and so on...

Mind you, this does not include the international delivery fee. Speaking for Australian imports, you should always make a purchase with the possible tax incursion as part of your budget; if your parcel slips through consider yourself lucky.
zl725

Postby Ganga » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:24 am

beehappy wrote:I have the same question. I want to get a bottle shipped to Boston from the Whisky Exchange and they warn that there might be other "duties and fees" at customs. I am not too familiar with USA duties and fees (I live in Canada but shipping the bottle to my brother in Boston) and was wondering if anyone knows what they are and what are the chances of me having to pay them?

Thanks!

Massachusetts may be an issue. It is my understanding that this state is big time into prohibiting shipments of alcohol.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby wchurst » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:32 pm

Just to set the record straight here, regardless of who you are ordering through, all
shipments sent to you from another country are subject to Import Taxes (Duties):
Unless they are marked as a "Gift" or for "Personal Consumption", though there are
some slight differances in the classifications to be aware of:

In the US, the "duty free" rules are as follows:
"Gifts" not exceeding a value of $100 are allowed to enter the US Duty Free.
"Personal Consumption" items valued at $200 are allowed to enter the US Duty Free.

As for dealing with The Whisky Exchange, they are a very well run business and well
known for prompt "trouble free" shipments...I have dealt with them extensively, but
never ordered from them. (I supply them with a considerable amount of thier vintage
Whiskies & Rums
.)

With regard to USPS rules regarding shipments of any alcohol, this is strictly prohibited
under US Federal law (The USPS is a US Govt agency), although it happens alot more
than anyone would suspect! Unless it gets broken & leaks all over, they are not likely
to discover it.

ParcelForce, like many international shipping companies, may have it's own receiving
locations here in the US, which allows them to clear packages through Customs quickly
with alot less headaches & delays...This may also act as a 'buffer' to parcel inspections
once they transfer to the USPS; the USPS does not screen packages as closely once
they are already inside our borders.

If a bottle shipment is caught "in transit" by US Customs, they will often hold the item
for pick up, at which time you will be charged Duties (taxes) on the shipment...all of
which is based solely on the US Federal Tax (not State) of $2.14/750ml @ 80-proof.
***It's not alot of money - Most of the alcohol taxes paid at your local retailer store
are STATE alcohol tax.

Cheers,
Walter C Hurst
wchurst

Return to Questions & Answers

Whisky gift and present finder