Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scotch whisky : its past and present

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Scotch whisky : its past and present

Postby jmrl » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:50 pm

David Daiches. 1969. I re-read the 1995 reprint by Birlinn. An enjoyable read with all the usual and essential topics amply covered. As always with earlier publications its interesting to see comments made of the industry as it was. This compact edition was easy to read on the bus but it was the edition I originally read. I should have read the 1969 original to avoid updated information. I did notice Strathmore and North of Scotland having separate entries in the list of distilleries. This distillery was a curious arrangement at the best of times but I imagine the confusion here is that malt and grain were produced on the same site at different times under different names. There was only one distillery, right? They even produced malt from column stills not unlike Nikka and Loch Lomond's plan which flies in the face of the new SWA guidelines soon to be/already legislation.

Back to the book. Recommendable but as always current titles offer up-to-date and more detailed information which makes publications like this more academic in interest. Written with the charm of a distinguished gentleman.
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder