Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Truths About Whisky

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Truths About Whisky

Postby Ian Buxton » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:43 pm

Yes, it's true! It's out - at last.

Copies should be mailed this week, just in time for Christmas.
I hope you like it.

More copies available at "normal" price of £50 - Founders saved a crisp fiver and got their name in the book!
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Re: Truths About Whisky

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:51 pm

Received mine today... Thanks a million to Ian and Neil on a job very well done. Beautifully presented and 4 great pull-out plates of the 4 distilleries.

Only a couple slight negatives and that is the fact that the cover has not got the cloth covering like previous reprints nor has the name been printed on the spine which does not aid library shelf display but as I have not seen an original maybe this is the way it was. In saying that it is unfair to call these negatives.

See pic from Classic Expressions Website

Totally worth the wait :thumbsup:

irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi
Glad you like it and it was worth the wait. Goodness knows, it was long enough!

Regarding the 2 slight negatives: there is no title on the spine of the book because there was none on the original so for authenticity we didn't add one. We did put a title on the spine of the slipcase so you can display that outwards in your library, for that exact reason. And, we didn't try to make that look original because it obviously isn't! So hopefully that clears that up and it isn't a negative at all!

You're right about the cover - it's not linen. But the original isn't either - it's a sort of printed board with a mock linen surface (ironically, this was originally quite a cheaply produced little book). We couldn't find anything to match this and we wanted to faithfully replicate the design which appears on the front and back cover. On the original, this is embossed but that would have meant making an embossing tool (2 actually, one for the black and one for the gold) which was prohibitively expensive for a run of 300.

So we have printed this digitally and also tried to pick up the weave effect on the scan. It's close but not perfect.

Main thing is, this is a FASCINATING and very rare little book which covers a lost period in whisky history. Lots to savour in its pages.

Thanks for loading the picture. I was trying to do that yesterday but couldn't figure out how to do it, which tells you all you need to know about my level of IT expertise.

On to Barnard pamphlets and Nettleton now. Check out http://www.classicexpressions.co.uk for details.

:mrgreen:
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:05 pm

Cheers Ian, as I said it was unfair to call them negatives and has to be withdrawn now due to your excellent explanations. Would you believe I totally missed the name printed on the spine of the sleeve :headbang: So a bit of thickness on my behest. Shouldn't of doubted you in the first place :wink:

And as I previously said this is a brilliant reproduction and I'm totally delighted with it. Thanks for the update :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ian Buxton » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:46 pm

A pleasure and thanks for your kind comments.

Do you have 200 friends by any chance?
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:10 am

I have mine too and I'm delighted with it. It's interesting to see all the names of the founder members - I've come across many before.
Aidan

Postby Ian Buxton » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:27 pm

Great stuff, thanks guys.
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby DavidH » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:34 am

Got my mitts on it today and I agree it is a handsome production. Thanks to all involved for resurrecting this work.

I look forward to reading it over Christmas. I'll post a review on my site then too.
DavidH
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:46 pm

Absolutely superb, Ian!
Deactivated Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:02 pm

Thank you, sir (or madam).

Tell your friends! Buy one for Christmas!
:mrgreen:
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby corbuso » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:33 pm

Received yesterday the book. The quality of the print is excellent. Next step, the content!
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:14 pm

You've probably heard quite enough from me on this topic by now but, if for some strange inexplicable reason you want more, Mark Gillespie of Whiskycast has just recorded an interview with me about the book and you can hear it on the latest of his excellent podcasts.

http://www.whiskycast.com/

Just buy the book, OK.
:iwbrnt:

(That's enough ego massage, Ed.)
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby cathach » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:13 pm

Lovely reprint Ian it exceeded my expectations, especially the content of the book itself. It's really quite fascinating.
cathach
Silver Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:28 am

cathach wrote:Lovely reprint Ian it exceeded my expectations, especially the content of the book itself. It's really quite fascinating.

I finished to read it yesterday evening. Really interesting book. I would not recommend as an introduction book on whisky, but if you have some knowledge about whisky, then it is really worthwhile. It describes accurately the commercial practice at the end of the 19th Century. I really enjoyed it.

http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Pure Pot Head » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:03 pm

Ian,

With regards to the 200 ccopies of Whiskey Truths you have left over, given the incedible historical link with Irish Distillers today, have you considered approaching them and proposing that they stock it in their distillery retail outlets. They have some advertising reproductions, Jim Murray's Bible and other odds and ends. Of the four distilleries featured, two of the whiskeys, Jameson and Powers both continue to this day with IDL so if anyone were to take a couple of copies I would have thought they'r be number one on the list? It's such a part of their history.

I would have bought this years ago if I'd come across it. And when you think about the hundreds of thousands that pass through those distillery tours every year!!

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:57 am

We certainly did contact them. They never replied.

Royal Lochnagar take a few of our books and do quite well, in a modest way, with them. It's a shame more don't follow their example.

Thanks for the helpful thought though.
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby corbuso » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:02 am

Ian Buxton wrote:Royal Lochnagar take a few of our books and do quite well, in a modest way, with them.

That is where I bought my two first books of Classic expression: Reminiscence of a gauger and Smuggling in the Highlands :-)
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Pure Pot Head » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:29 am

We certainly did contact them. They never replied

That sounds a bit odd. I imagine someone in some office somewhere let that one fall through the cracks. Well now that I have my own copy, I'll bring it in and show them myself!

Pure Pot Head.
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:05 pm

That would be really appreciated.
If they're interested put them in touch with me. I'll certainly pick it up - and owe you a big drink!
Cheers,
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:49 pm

Pure Pot Head wrote:
We certainly did contact them. They never replied

That sounds a bit odd. I imagine someone in some office somewhere let that one fall through the cracks. Well now that I have my own copy, I'll bring it in and show them myself!

Pure Pot Head.

IDL are a disgrace when it comes to replying to queries. I have contacted them on numerous occasions with various questions and have yet to get a decent reply. I have only once got a reply and that was a reply to contact someone else and when I did that I go nothing. Now I just don't bother. :?
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder