Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Barnard - 1st edition for sale - shocking price!

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Barnard - 1st edition for sale - shocking price!

Postby Ian Buxton » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:24 pm

A very rare 1st edition of Alfred Barnard's "The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom" is up for sale by auction in Edinburgh on 16th September.

Collectors and enthusiasts will know this book and copies of the first edition are highly sought after.

But the price looks high - it's estimated at £4,000 - £5,000 (+ buyer's premium). A copy was being offered on various forums (including this one) earlier this year and got no takers - was it this copy?

So far as I'm aware the top price paid privately is £2,500, so this looks expensive.

But great news if it sells and you've got one! Details here:

http://www.the-saleroom.com/catalogues/Item.aspx
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Re: Barnard - 1st edition for sale - shocking price!

Postby Ian Buxton » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:45 pm

If by "a bit better" you mean it actually works, then yes it does!

Just show up my web incompetence, why don't you!!

:oops:
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:02 am

Is the one for sale on whiskyauction.com a first edition? It's at only €305 at the moment, with the auction ending Saturday.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:04 pm

Yes, that was a genuine 1st edition. It sold for €2,460 (about £2,140) which looked about right as it was quite worn on the spine and cover, the binding looked loose and generally it was in need of some restoration. (I hasten to add that I didn't buy it!)

I would think that a good one, in a more widely publicised auction, will break £3k. Can't be long before somone gives that.

We'll see how the copy at Lyon & Turnbull gets on on the 16th September. Odd that two should come along close together like that.
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:10 pm

I met the buyer of the German copy. It has gone to a good home, where it will be properly looked after.
The expensive one at Lyon & Turnbull did not sell. Either the reserve was too high or no-one bid. Interesting. Suggests the current ceiling for a top-quality Barnard is around £2,500 right now.
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder