Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

4. "WHISKY CLASSIFIED" - DAVID WISHART

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

4. "WHISKY CLASSIFIED" - DAVID WISHART

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:37 pm

This is an interesting book.

All the usual information is in this book. Nice photos of distilleries and bottles, plus all the usual background.

But the publication is primarily an attempt to almost scientifically analyse malts by flavour.

Each malt is awarded 0 (None) to 4 (Full) in each of the following twelve categories:- body; sweetness; smoky; medicinal; tobacco; honey; spicy; winey; nutty; malty; fruity; and floral.

Using the above ratings, it is then placed in a "cluster" with similarly profiled malts.

This is excellent for a beginner like myself. Having liked a malt from a particular disillery, I can check its cluster and see at a glance malts from other distilleries that have similar characteristics.

Excellent
Deactivated Member

Postby Shigga » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:04 pm

A pity it doesn't cover American or Canadian, I'm a big fan of bourbon... but surely interesting as an addon for MJ because his rating system is kind of a mystery to me ;)
Shigga

Whisky classified

Postby Pipe and dram » Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:19 am

This book is far to complicated and uses a scientific approach to a non-scientific subject. He uses various authors tasting notes from a variety of books under no controlled conditions - just whims and notes at the time. Many of the malts in some of the classifications do not even come close.

Better to get David Stirks book - his classification is much simpler and much more accurrate.

Slainte :)
Pipe and dram

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder