Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Recommendation for a Whiskey book newbie ?

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Recommendation for a Whiskey book newbie ?

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:27 pm

Hiya, I'm wanting to do some reading up on whiskey and the internet's a pain in the arse and I get distracted.

Has anyone a few good recommendations for whisk(e)y reading please? I came across this book in a second hand book shop and had a quick leaf through it, it seemed pretty good but I'm not sure what I'm looking for :

I've seen a few mentions around about Murray's Whiskey Bible. What's the story with this one? Is it like an almanac or something? I might get the latest one but is there going to be a huge differene between this year's and a second hand one from last year?

Oh and if there's anyone from Dublin here, a few tips on where to get either cheap/affordable or second hand books would be great :)
Alan Gold Label

Re: Recommendation for a Whiskey book newbie ?

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:32 pm

The Malt Whisky Yearbook is a nice up to date general resource. The new edition has just been released:

Amazon

Edit: I should have said the 'Bible' is a book of tasting notes with little other info. The changes are significant year-on-year as new bottles are introduced and those that are no longer available are removed.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:10 pm

The one you spotted is fine but the Malt Whisky Yearbook is the business.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Pure Pot Head » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:29 pm

I've got to put in a shout for 'The Truths of Whiskey' which Ian Buxton sells through this forum. An old historical insight into the world of whiskey in the late 1800's. Not cheap but magical if your interest leans in any way towards the historical end of things. It's lovely to have in ones collection.

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Hooray!
Thanks for that plug. Truths About Whisky is essential reading if you're interested in the history of the decline and fall of Irish whiskey. Available at http://www.classicexpressions.co.uk

As a good general guide to whisky for the newbie can I recommend the very latest and very compehensive Dorling Kinderlsey tome World Whisky - a snip at £16.99 (UK price) - no doubt cheaper on Amazon.

Some decent writers too.

:oops:
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby Ardbeg311 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:50 am

For those of us not in the know, what is the difference between DK's World Whisky and DK's Whisky (Eyewitness Companions) for the newbie? Both seem to be edited by Charles MacLean.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:59 pm

Yes, Charlie edited both and many of the writers overlap but the latest book (World Whisky) is much more comprehensive and generally better value.

For a "newbie", as requested, this is the one I would buy.
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby corbuso » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:25 am

You might have a look at http://www.whisky-news.com in the literature section, but I would not recommend Jim Murray Whisky Bible or Tierrhy Benitha's book (too old).
But are you looking for a book whisky or (irish and american) whiskey?
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:57 am

Peter Mulryan's book on Irish whiskey is a good one, as is Jim Murray's Classic Irish Whiskey, if you can get it.
Aidan

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:34 pm

I love the way some posts in these threads totally miss the point at times ... A book for a newbie ... sorry but Truths About Whiskey does not really fit the bill. Don't get me wrong ... it is a great book but not for a first read if you ask me. So once you get right into it get your self one.

Alan, as Aidan says Peter Mulryans book is probably your best bet for a decent prespective on Irish Whiskey.

As Willie says the Malt Whisky Yearbook is a decent read.

So is 'Enjoying Malt Whisky' by Par Caldenby

Others for an easy introduction but quite comprehensive at the same time and covering most whiskey types and country's are

Whisky by Miochael Jackson.

&

Complete Book of Whisky by Jim Murray

Murray & Jackson can probably be called the giants of Whisky writing.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder