Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Japanese Whisky Facts, Figures and Taste

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Japanese Whisky Facts, Figures and Taste

Postby dramtastic » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:42 am

A pretty good basic intoduction to the world of Nippon whiskys. A cursory glance immediatly shows some simple errors either by the author or the editor.

Some glaring omissions by the author also, one example being the list of Tokyo whisky bars not including the only one that speciallses in Japanese whisky, Shot Bar Zoetrope. Fortunately this is rectified only by it's inclusion in the forward by Hideo Yamaoka.

I also know that Chris Bunting of Japanese whisky blog nonjatta has a range of issues with this book including incorrect pronunciations and possible plagiarism.

Still as the the only book wriiten in english almost exclusive dedicated to Japanese whisky it must be counted as a valuable resorce. One nice touch is an itinerary for visiting all the distilleries including local transport links, timeables and distances to destinations.

Certainly there is great many more things that I will learn from this book about Japanese whisky than I previously knew.

Even if you only have a passing interest in Japanese whisky this is a worthwhile addition to your whisky library.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Japanese Whisky Facts, Figures and Taste

Postby johan brugge » Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks dramtastic. Sounds usefull since I'm getting interested in Japanese whiskies. But I'm also aware that I may not like them as much as I hope. I'm into peaty Islay's you see.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:36 pm

johan brugge wrote:Thanks dramtastic. Sounds usefull since I'm getting interested in Japanese whiskies. But I'm also aware that I may not like them as much as I hope. I'm into peaty Islay's you see.

And what about the Yoichi?
Some are as peated as most Islay ... Give it a try
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:15 pm

Dramtastic gave me some good tips already. I'll certainly follow up on some of them. Yoichi you say? I'll have to do some more (fun) research then. I'll let you know which one I bought.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:09 pm

dramtastic wrote:A pretty good basic introduction to the world of Nippon whiskys. A cursory glance immediately shows some simple errors either by the author or the editor.

I can't really comment on the errors and omissions but I would have to say that it is probably better than a bsic introduction. I know where you are comming from in relation to that comment but some of the technical information in this is bordering on compulsive anorak-ism :wink: :lol:

What I really like is the indept look at the distillery main components such as Pot still with the volumes and the degree of the Lyne arms :o

Excellent book and a lovely coofee table book but I'd be very interested in any errors. WOuld not be overly fussed about bars and stuff just actual distillery errors if any.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder