Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

1st edition Barnard

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

1st edition Barnard

Postby Ian Buxton » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:57 pm

A nice 1st edition of Alfred Barnard's Distilleries of the United Kingdom just sold today (Saturday 17 March) in Glasgow for £520 + buyer's premium. It was badly catalogued and in totally the wrong auction but a few folk spotted it and there was keen phone bidding. But you need to be in the room to check condition and one shrewd collector was there in person to snag a serious bargain.
Not me, but I can say it went to a very good home.
Well done someone!
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Re: 1st edition Barnard

Postby John Barleycorn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:13 pm

A first edition was sold at McTears about a year ago for £3000 plus buyer's premium; I wish I had known about this latest one, I think I might have put a bid in. In fact I picked up a 1969 reprint on eBay the other week for £20 plus P&P in ok condition, a bit of a whiff of old damp house about it but that should disappear with time. It makes a good read, the type of book you can dip into when you have a few minutes to spare.

Cheers John
John Barleycorn
Bronze Member

Re: 1st edition Barnard

Postby Ian Buxton » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:07 pm

Something over £2,000 + commission seems to be about right now for a decent 1st edition Barnard, depending of course on condition.
The one sold in Glasgow was well worth £2k in my view but badly catalogued and in the wrong auction so ended up a bargain.
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder