Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Charles Craig, The Scotch Whisky Industry Record

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Charles Craig, The Scotch Whisky Industry Record

Postby M.B » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:43 pm

What do you think about Charles Craig's The Scotch Whisky Industry Record?

To me its still the best books out there for historian records.
It takes each month every year since 1494 (where there are any records) and tells what happend at that time for the whole scottich industry untill 1994 when it was published, like a diary.

Together with all the tables and index I think its one of the most valuable whisky books ever made. It really can't be compared to, say, The Whisk(e)y Treasure or Moss & Humes book (which took the tables and index from Charles Craig).

What do you others think?

Regards,
M.B.
M.B

Postby Lawrence » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:49 pm

I find it an excellent reference book on the history of the industry, there are facts and figures in the book that tell of the ups and downs over time.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby M.B » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:59 pm

It is truly an excellent book!

It has helped me many times when I have wondered what 'really' happend at a certan time in the industry.
I particular like to read about the closening of distilleries in the beginning of the 1980s and about expansions made at distilleries.

-Why isn't anyone making a book in the same way about the years after the publishing year...?
M.B

Re: Charles Craig, The Scotch Whisky Industry Record

Postby lexkraai » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:49 pm

M.B wrote:Moss & Humes book (which took the tables and index from Charles Craig)

To give credit where credit is due, it actually is the other way around (as Charles Craig makes clear himself): the distillery list in the SWIR is based on the work of Michael Moss and John Hume, who published this list first in 1981.

And that it is a very valuable resource goes without saying!

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby M.B » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:57 pm

You are absolutely correct there, Lex! My misstake, and I like Moss & Humes book very much indeed too.
M.B

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder