Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Peat Smoke & Spirit - Andrew Jefford

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Postby comicmutt » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:15 am

This is a great book. I love the details and the side excursions through history. There were times when I felt like I was actually in Islay while I was reading it, though that was probably due to the influence of what was in my glass at the time. :wink:

Seriously, the chapters on wildlife and shipwrecks really gave me an added understanding. I think my favorite parts, besides the "in the distillery" parts, were the little excursions to the water sources.

I wish there were more books about whisky like this.
comicmutt

Postby Wave » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:28 pm

I'm in the middle of re-reading this one again, it's such an excellent book! This time I'm reading each chapter with a whisky of each Islay distillery as suggested in the book and savoring each page. 8)

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Mad Mac » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:02 am

An excellent book - I have the second edition (don't know how improved that makes it over the first edition - I just know that's what I have) and I love how well it evokes the feeling of Islay as I remember it (the one time I was fortunate enought to visit it!). This one has a permanent place on my bookshelf.

Mac
Mad Mac

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:02 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have wanted to say for the longest time that Jefford's book with particular (re: chapter) dram in hand is extremely enjoyable. Thank you, Andrew Jefford! One of my favorite books on whisky!
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:52 pm

Mad Mac wrote:An excellent book - I have the second edition (don't know how improved that makes it over the first edition - I just know that's what I have) and I love how well it evokes the feeling of Islay as I remember it (the one time I was fortunate enought to visit it!). This one has a permanent place on my bookshelf.

Mac

It has a lot of corrections in fact so I'd say the second edition is the one to get. They are subtle but useful especially if you're referring to the 'distillery data' sections at the back of each distillery chapter.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Dangerous_Dave » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:05 pm

I read this book from cover to cover in a couple of days while I was layed up with the flu in January. Fantastic book - thoroughly recommended, especially for those who have been to Islay.
Dangerous_Dave

Re: Peat Smoke & Spirit - Andrew Jefford

Postby biglads » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:53 pm

I was fortunate enough to buy this book at Loch Fyne Whiskies when I was travelling up to Islay.

A wonderful book, although I do wonder how much of the tracts about the geological formation of the island would have been, had I not actually been there. Nevertheless, I recommend it heartily.
biglads

Re: Peat Smoke & Spirit - Andrew Jefford

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:34 pm

Okay, I just ordered a copy from Amazon. Am eagerly waiting for its arrival. I use to love reading books but lately haven't read any. Maybe this will induce me to start reading again instead of spending too much hours in the internet and this forum !!!
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder