Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scotch Missed

Are you looking for a rare book or would you like to review what you are reading?

Scotch Missed

Postby Admiral » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:57 am

I'm making my way through "Scotch Missed" by Brian Townsend. It's a wonderful book listing all of the lost distilleries that have closed down over the (many) years. Each lost distillery is featured, with a few pages devoted to whatever known history could be researched or identified.

The history of distilleries isn't usually something that would interest me, but the book is well written, the facts are communicated in a relaxed but effective style, and it's a fascinating read.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby lexkraai » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:02 pm

If you like this book, make sure you also get a copy of his book on the lost distilleries of Ireland. In my opinion the better book of the two, because it illustrates the rise and fall of the Irish whiskey industry very nicely.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jan 03, 2005 6:15 pm

Admiral, I have this book also and have found it to be a good read, "The Scotch Whisky Industry Record" is also a good source of closed distilleries but does not include the detail that Brian Townsends book does.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:08 am

It's amazing what can happen in a few short years.....the book was published in 1997, and refers to one or two distilleries that were "mothballed, then closed permanently". These same distilleries have since been resurrected and are now producing again!!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:46 pm

It is such a fluid market that things change too quickly for books, really. Peat Smoke and Spirit was also the victim of some recent changes which put it slightly out of date before it was even in print. Books about current events will never be as timely as a periodical or better yet, a website :)

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Books

Whisky gift and present finder